-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And here I thought bent nails and "owl eyes" were a normal part of any carpentry job!
smile
smile
smile

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by T LEE
And here I thought bent nails and "owl eyes" were a normal part of any carpentry job!
smile
smile
smile

You've seen my work apparently frown

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My personal experience Sir, I am a world class wood butcher! smile smile smile

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My grandma would of made me pull the bent nails and straighten them. She hated to waste nails always had a bucket full of straightened and pulled nails for using on stuff like fence boards chicken coops any thing but the house. The house you used new nails on. She lived thru the depression didnt waste anything.

Nice tree fort Dave and Joey

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by northern_dave
A few photos from the weekend.

Winds were high, so being up in the tree platform was non fun.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The rechargeable battery for my framing/sheeting nailer went bad on us. So, we did some hammer swinging, which is actually an important part of a kids tree fort.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

We are paneling the exterior of this fort with recycled barn boards, there's plenty of board cutting involved.

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e...ads/tree%20fort/IMG_7292_zpsmc8rxt0d.jpg[/img]

here is our first 6' high sidewall ready to go up into the tree.

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e...ads/tree%20fort/IMG_7293_zpslpmhe3kr.jpg[/img]

These little details, are true American boyhood.

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e...ads/tree%20fort/IMG_7294_zpszm9r2i0o.jpg[/img]

grin

Your boys smile in the 5th pic from the top is priceless. You are a good dad, Dave.

When its time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to get on Noah's Arc... and brother, it is starting to rain!

The chair is against the wall.
IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
We just talked about that last night, how when we were kids we had to scrounge rusty used nails and straighten them all before we started a project.

Something clever here.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I've bent a few nails in my time. Sometimes cut nails over the top of my thumb, which I'm especially fond of. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hard to believe Preacher is as old as he is. My lil man got his first loose tooth this weekend.
remember when he was like this?
[Linked Image]

Recognize that rock?

Man these kids grow up fast! great project man!

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
We just talked about that last night, how when we were kids we had to scrounge rusty used nails and straighten them all before we started a project.

Fond memories...when we were kids and decided to build something first thing was to empty the coffee can with the bent nails and straighten enough for what we wanted to build.

Thought it was seventh heaven first time seeing a 50lb box of "new" 16 penny nails. grin

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by bcolorado

Fond memories...when we were kids and decided to build something first thing was to empty the coffee can with the bent nails and straighten enoungh for what we wanted to build.

Thought it was seventh heaven first time seeing a 50lb box of "new" 16 penny nails. grin

Man, isn't that the truth. Fond memories for sure. If I remember right, some of those old coffee cans had some kind of ring on them, sort of bent over double on each side of the rim. Think there was one laying around the house and my brother fell on it and cut the palm of his hand pretty bad.

Sorry for the distraction, old things connecting the dot moment. smile

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kinda wish my son had a dad more like yours does.

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I just see this as my last chance for this tree house project. Joey is 11 now and if I wait any longer he may not be interested.

I've talked about this for a while and now I pretty much have to make the time for it because the window is closing on this opportunity.

I'm really glad we are doing it, its a lot of fun and he's following me around like a shadow.

I'm learning that it works well to just sort of think out loud when you work with a kid on a project. That way you are teaching them more stuff.

They don't know what you are looking for when you sight down the length of a board. But when you don't and say "what I'm doing now is looking for a crown in this board. And I don't mean like a king's crown, a crown in a board is the outside of a bend, see? Look down the board, see the crown?"

And so on.

There ate hundreds of little tips you can pass along rather than just doing stuff for a kid.

That's the tricky part for me. I'm getting better at it. Its easier when you can see that they are hanging on your every word and soaking it all in.

Its very lucky for me that joey is really into it.

My little helper is going to help me build a new BBQ cooker for at home here when this tree fort is done.

Something clever here.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dave - I'm the same with my son as I show/teach him things. Basically you just turn into a woman and say everything you're thinking as you're thinking/doing it and they pick it up pretty quick.

It's how he learned the basics if reloading and building an AR. Brewing beer too.

Run at the mouth while doing stuff together and they'll remember.

Me

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

I usually scrounged them out of Dad's shop. grin I remember it well. A 6" deep, thick cardboard box about 10"x10" filled with a mixture of nails. Every nail known to man was in that box. I can't remember the amount of times he needed nails and I had to run into the woods to find the box at the last fort I left em in. Usually found his hammer he needed right next to it as well. laugh

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

My little helper is going to help me build a new BBQ cooker for at home here when this tree fort is done.

grin

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just see this as my last chance for this tree house project. Joey is 11 now and if I wait any longer he may not be interested.

I've talked about this for a while and now I pretty much have to make the time for it because the window is closing on this opportunity.

I'm really glad we are doing it, its a lot of fun and he's following me around like a shadow.

I'm learning that it works well to just sort of think out loud when you work with a kid on a project. That way you are teaching them more stuff.

They don't know what you are looking for when you sight down the length of a board. But when you don't and say "what I'm doing now is looking for a crown in this board. And I don't mean like a king's crown, a crown in a board is the outside of a bend, see? Look down the board, see the crown?"

And so on.

There ate hundreds of little tips you can pass along rather than just doing stuff for a kid.

That's the tricky part for me. I'm getting better at it. Its easier when you can see that they are hanging on your every word and soaking it all in.

Its very lucky for me that joey is really into it.

Well said, Well done!

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
So, about that g'damn sky house....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

We're getting closer.

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Beyond cool!

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hah! He'll be taking girls up there by the time ya finish it! smile

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
By the way, that is a KATF.
(KickAssTreeFort)

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

335 members (219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1_deuce, 1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 46 invisible), 2,552 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,551
Posts18,510,345
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.