Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Just picked up a 1917 Enfield, that had been sporterized, Fajen Stock, cock on opening done to it, trigger tuned, new barrel, Lyman Globe sights front and rear, for less than $300.

This is a rifle that is 98 or 99 years old, Remington built ( not Eddystone).... will many of these budget rifles new on shelves nowadays be around in 98-99 years from now?

Bet this Enfield will.

oh and it is more than accurate.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Seafire

.... will many of these budget rifles new on shelves nowadays be around in 98-99 years from now?

For many joe blow average hunters, yes. They're not loonys and don't shoot 1 box of ammo per year and probably don't clean the bore yearly either.

For serious hunters/shooters the obvious answer is NO.

Again, I'd rather have quality the first time.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Bugger
Originally Posted by 700LH
700 ADL 30-06 made before Dupont sold Remington.
Gloss blue and walnut, at reasonable prices.
Few hunting guns are ever shot much, most will last several lifetimes.

This^^^

I say this also, it's the route I always try to go if I have time to hunt shops/pawnshops, and there's really a lot of these rifles still around.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by wink_man
Originally Posted by Bugger
Originally Posted by 700LH
700 ADL 30-06 made before Dupont sold Remington.
Gloss blue and walnut, at reasonable prices.
Few hunting guns are ever shot much, most will last several lifetimes.

This^^^

I say this also, it's the route I always try to go if I have time to hunt shops/pawnshops, and there's really a lot of these rifles still around.

Ditto. Recently bought one from 1973. Solid American made shooter.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Old Crab,

For many non-looney shooters, the 30-06 is the only rifle cartridge that many can name, offhand. And many choose the cartridge simply for that fact.

There are any number of common, off the shelf rifles and cartridges that I'd choose before the 30-06 for an older or occasional shooter that would be more fun to shoot and just as deadly on deer.

OTOH, a lot of guys are simply fascinated with the Springfield cartridge, and nothing wrong with that. I would explore the options before putting money on a rifle.

Or you could show your buddy the classifieds here and see how many rifles he tries as things take their natural course... grin

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Just picked up a 1917 Enfield, that had been sporterized, Fajen Stock, cock on opening done to it, trigger tuned, new barrel, Lyman Globe sights front and rear, for less than $300.

This is a rifle that is 98 or 99 years old, Remington built ( not Eddystone).... will many of these budget rifles new on shelves nowadays be around in 98-99 years from now?

Bet this Enfield will.

A lot of us mentioned used, but the OP scoffed at the remarks. You know you can't find a good used accurate rifle anymore these days..... whistle His friend is also "gun savvy" according to the OP. My question to all of you loonies out there is, how many of you truly "gun savvy" types have ever got burned buying a used 30-06 rifle? Generally, gun savvy types know what to look for when buying a used rifle. Some of my most accurate 30-06 rifles were used when I got them. As a matter of fact, the only 30-06 rifles I've ever bought were used, except for 1. 1 POS Remington BDL hot off the shelf, brand spanking new and I had to send the POS back to the factory because the chamber wasn't cut right. I can't list all the used 30-06 rifles that I've had, that were damn good rifles and accurate as well/hell because there were just too damn many of them. I'm thinking the OP's friend is not as "gun savvy", as he's letting on. wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Bet this Enfield will.

A lot of us mentioned used, but the OP scoffed at the remarks. You know you can't find a good used accurate rifle anymore these days..... whistle His friend is also "gun savvy" according to the OP. My question to all of you loonies out there is, how many of you truly "gun savvy" types have ever got burned buying a used 30-06 rifle? Generally, gun savvy types know what to look for when buying a used rifle. Some of my most accurate 30-06 rifles were used when I got them. As a matter of fact, the only 30-06 rifles I've ever bought were used, except for 1. 1 POS Remington BDL hot off the shelf, brand spanking new and I had to send the POS back to the factory because the chamber wasn't cut right. I can't list all the used 30-06 rifles that I've had, that were damn good rifles and accurate as well/hell because there were just too damn many of them. I'm thinking the OP's friend is not as "gun savvy", as he's letting on. wink

I bought an H&R single shot that tended to open on firing. got rid of it. Other than that I've bought a bunch of used rifles (over half what I have in the safes) and have never gotten one that shot poorly.

When I want a quality rifle that shoots accurately, the first place look is for one that s used. Saw a pretty nice Ruger M77 in 7x57 this weekend at the Tanner gun show in Denver. $395. If I didn't already have a M77 in 7mm RM and a Hawkeye in .380 it would have gone home with me.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
There was a nice remington model 78 in the classifieds for I believe $475 , ditto for a inter arms mauser. Depends on what you mean by budget, I recently sold a couple of stevens 200 rifles though not 30-06 but they were solid rifles. If he wants new call Whittaker guns In Owensboro Ky the Howa is as good as you'll find for under $400.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
No worries but would like to add that a freshly produced 2016 Rem 700 ADL package rifle from WallyWorld had ZERO function, feeding or finish flaws like some reported from a couple-few years ago. For $379 it a crazy bargain. Not saying it's like the good ol' days, nor suggesting it's better than this or that, but it wasn't phucqk'ed up in the least. Around here, oft-times used ones are $600+. There's always exceptions and there's always good deals... Saw it somewhere, I think in a Nosler manual, a 30-06 rifle is ubiquitous. Right along with a decent deal on a 270 it's likely the easiest find there is. That 78 for $425 would have worked... Saw a mint pre-83 700 BDL 7-08 the other day for $500 and still kicking myself for not throwing it on layaway. Just because... But then 'budget' is a relative term.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by bangeye
There was a nice remington model 78 in the classifieds for I believe $475

If he wants new call Whittaker guns In Owensboro Ky the Howa is as good as you'll find for under $400.

IMO $475. Is too high for a 78

The Howa (S-W, Wby Vanguard) for less than 400 is a much better bargain.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B3

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Old_Crab
...feel my friend should buy "new" to get the warranty... .

This advice will most surely cause your friend to pay top dollar for a cheap rifle... arguably the worst kind of deal possible.

For the same money he'd spend on one of the cheapest, entry level rifles, he could get a much better quality, used one. Buying from a reputable seller, or having a professional do a pre-purchase inspection will be all the guaranty he'll need.

When was the last time anyone needed to use a warranty on a new firearm?

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (2500HD, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 160user, 17CalFan, 50 invisible), 2,642 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,781
Posts18,477,104
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.