Print Thread
Hop To
S
ST50 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
What's a good substitute for grass clippings? I am slowly getting away from bagging my grass. I like to have a ground cover that is good for the soil to keep weeds down and moisture in. May have to put a bag kit on my new riding mower, but I'm having good results with mulching. Thanks

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pine straw is the best, and most expensive. Several places on the www sell it in bales or boxes. Very long lasting. The long needle is supposed to be the best.

Some of the big hardware chains sell it, but the reviews I read said it was of very poor quality

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use a mulch that's indigenous to my area. Cedar (Juniper really) is in great supply around here. The smaller tree limbs I cut out of my oaks are run through a chipper and use as mulch. All the leaves that fall that are not composted are used as mulch. Sometimes I use alfalfa hay if I feel I need a nitrogen boost. Except for the alfalfa I haven't purchased mulch in decades.

BP...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you just want to retain moisture and discourage competition from weeds and grasses most any mulch will do that.
If you are going long term and want specific byproducts to break down and to leech into the soil then it depends on what you are growing.

Info is probably free online at your state extension or consider the Arbor Day Foundation farms that are located somewhere in Nebraska.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Wheat straw after run through a rotary combine, hopefully from a field with very few weeds.

Garden plants like it much better than grass clippings.

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Pine straw is the best, and most expensive. Several places on the www sell it in bales or boxes. Very long lasting. The long needle is supposed to be the best.

Some of the big hardware chains sell it, but the reviews I read said it was of very poor quality

How much you want? Got all you care to rake up down this way! We use it a lot down here, but I really prefer cypress mulch in my landscaping here.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
G
gbp Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I used to use what was called "Forest Hummus" and it worked great. I could buy it by the dump truck load and spread it , till it in and [bleep] would take off
Now here in NM I cant seem to find what I need in bulk
When you find it let me know

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
My wife has been using hay for quite a few years now. We add a layer each fall and as it rots it fertilizes and the soil stays pretty soft. When it's time to plant she scratches either a plot or a row into the hay and as the plants grow she brings the hay back in around the plant. There gets to be alot of voles living in that mulch though.

S
ST50 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by ecmn
My wife has been using hay for quite a few years now. We add a layer each fall and as it rots it fertilizes and the soil stays pretty soft. When it's time to plant she scratches either a plot or a row into the hay and as the plants grow she brings the hay back in around the plant. There gets to be alot of voles living in that mulch though.
Thanks for the replies, if it ever quits raining, I can get back to it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Depends on what you are using it for. In the garden, in Arkansas, I like oat or wheat straw. Will use rice straw if I have to. Other stuff causes problems here with mold and other things detrimental to a garden. Where he humidity is lower, might have different problems. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B3

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
around the metro ATL, there's active mulch markets. most often used are pine straw, pine bark, cypress mulch, whole tree chips that have been ground and screened....delivered by the dump truck load.

plenty of composted organic material as well, but get your pocketbook out.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Originally Posted by Pappy348

How much you want? Got all you care to rake up down this way! We use it a lot down here, but I really prefer cypress mulch in my landscaping here.

I remember the good old days of driving the pickup into the woods near the house and raking the bed full of pinestraw inabout 10 minutes. May not be the best mulch, but nothing looks as good as pinestraw IMO. Here in PHX it is pricey!

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

328 members (204guy, 260Remguy, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 280ACKIMP, 35 invisible), 2,414 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,754
Posts18,476,336
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.