-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 144 of 175 1 2 142 143 144 145 146 174 175
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I vote for the people who hire them. I entrust the authority to others. I also pay for them through my taxes. I participate in every election.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I also should add that I voted with my feet when I lived in a place that had bad police and the community preferred to have bad police than to pay to hire good ones.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Where are the cops claiming how long this investigation will take?

It's an unwritten rule that exists among nearly all cops not to negatively comment on a fellow cop's errors, misconducts, or crimes. They mostly remain silent regarding another cop's wrongdoing..................

"There before the grace of God go I".

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
I also should add that I voted with my feet when I lived in a place that had bad police and the community preferred to have bad police than to pay to hire good ones.

Citizens shouldn't have to uproot their family, change schools and leave old friends just to get away from bullying and harassment by douche bags in uniform. Citizens aren't involved in the hiring of cops nor are citizens asked to be involved. When citizen groups form, out of necessity because of rampant abuse, to oversee various aspects of law enforcement it's always met with strict defiance and obfuscation by the police and their union. Ignoring or running from the problem isn't a solution, in fact I'd posit that it encourages other departments to do what they want since any oversight comes from within. That's why our quality of cops has gone down significantly in the last 2 decades. What's interesting is how divided the campfire is right down the middle. Cops almost without exception excuse or diminish bad or illegal activity done by the police while everyone else is appalled at the same crime. The killing of a man that was not a suspect or even participant until his help was requested and the initial comments by the campfire cop crowd are illustrative of the divide and symptomatic of the problem nationwide.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cheyenne,

Just like me, so the answer is "No".

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I call that a resounding "yes."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

Citizens shouldn't have to uproot their family, change schools and leave old friends just to get away from bullying and harassment by douche bags in uniform. Citizens aren't involved in the hiring of cops nor are citizens asked to be involved. When citizen groups form, out of necessity because of rampant abuse, to oversee various aspects of law enforcement it's always met with strict defiance and obfuscation by the police and their union. Ignoring or running from the problem isn't a solution, in fact I'd posit that it encourages other departments to do what they want since any oversight comes from within. That's why our quality of cops has gone down significantly in the last 2 decades. What's interesting is how divided the campfire is right down the middle. Cops almost without exception excuse or diminish bad or illegal activity done by the police while everyone else is appalled at the same crime. The killing of a man that was not a suspect or even participant until his help was requested and the initial comments by the campfire cop crowd are illustrative of the divide and symptomatic of the problem nationwide.

Police are a reflection of the community. They are what the majority of the community wants. It doesn't come to light until something bad happens. Did the sheriff of this Idaho county pass over a Harvard law grad applicant to hire a poacher or did he pick the least worst alternative to having a slot go vacant? Most people in the community want the cheapest services they can get for the same reason they shop at Walmart instead of paying more at a mom and pop store. Nobody cares until something bad happens or the wrench they bought at Walmart breaks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Police are a reflection of the community.

Uh...no. Police are a reflection of the government. The same tyrranical and corrupt government that everyone here b!tches about. Police are it's 'enforcers'. As pointed out here before, there are very damn few situations that are made 'better' as a result of the police entering into them.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Good comments Ace.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Where are the cops claiming how long this investigation will take?

It's an unwritten rule that exists among nearly all cops not to negatively comment on a fellow cop's errors, misconducts, or crimes. They mostly remain silent regarding another cop's wrongdoing.

Just one of the reasons cops are so 'endearing' to many Americans.

You need to ask the State and Federal Government that question.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Not just cops either...after 911, the NYC Departments had some real internal issues when the surviving cops reported ATM's hacked apart by fire personnel.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Police are a reflection of the community.

Uh...no. Police are a reflection of the government. The same tyrranical and corrupt government that everyone here b!tches about. Police are it's 'enforcers'. As pointed out here before, there are very damn few situations that are made 'better' as a result of the police entering into them.

While I can see a better argument at the national level, it falls apart at the lowest rung of government, i.e., the local/county level, even more so in places with tiny populations. The government at the local level is totally the fault of the locals, because it is elected by a majority of the people who bother to show up to vote and is intended to affect only the geographical location of the voters. A person on the wrong end of that has a choice to either accept it, try to change it by getting involved, or find an alternative location. Griping about it is a waste of time and brain cells although some people may find comfort in it.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Cheyenne, I agree that in theory cops are a reflection of society but in reality they are not. They individually exist in society but are separate in the collective sense. They have privileges not extended to all and there is an unwritten code that suspects the cop only when every other explanation, no matter how outlandish, is exhausted. Even in the face of almost insurmountable evidence the cop is presumed innocent. If anyone of us had DV accusations or threatened bloodshed or had several pounds of high explosives illegally in our possession we'd be locked up long ago but when the perp is a cop every excuse and fabricated possibility is used to prevent his arrest. This case is a classic example. Not only has the POS cop not been arrested for what he's done and continues to do, the reporter that made the alert public was arrested!!! And the cops wonder why the public doesn't trust them.....crooked, corrupt bastards!!!

Most cops run with other cops. They often have very few close friends that aren't cops and I know many cops that said they had no non-cop friends. The cops choose to sequester themselves and by doing so remove themselves from normal society and no longer reflect society, rather they are a reflection of "the cop culture". Looking at the pictures and social media of those 2 douche bags show they fancied themselves the very personification of a cop. The cop culture fosters and fuels the us against the world attitude and they do themselves a disservice by doing so.imho

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Citizens aren't involved in the hiring of cops nor are citizens asked to be involved.

Perhaps you should qualify that statement with "around here" or "the schitty department I used to work for". Otherwise , it's incorrect on its face.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
How so George? Are you suggesting that citizen input is a common practice in all cop hirings?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N

Most cops run with other cops. They often have very few close friends that aren't cops and I know many cops that said they had no non-cop friends. The cops choose to sequester themselves and by doing so remove themselves from normal society and no longer reflect society, rather they are a reflection of "the cop culture". Looking at the pictures and social media of those 2 douche bags show they fancied themselves the very personification of a cop. The cop culture fosters and fuels the us against the world attitude and they do themselves a disservice by doing so.imho

Not most that I know.....

It's impossible to continue an "us vs them" without both sides assuming said stance FWIW. I see plenty right "here", much less in the "real world ".

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cops do have privilege. With it comes responsibility. Didn't you say you tried it for a little while?

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
How so George? Are you suggesting that citizen input is a common practice in all cop hirings?

There is no 'all' cop hiring. Methods of hiring are variable between bordering Towns, let alone Counties or States. That's always been my point.

I'll use my Department's last promotional process as an example, though. Not a single "cop" on it. Three community members on the panel.......one was a retired cop, though, if that matters.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Your citizens are part of the hiring process? If so that's great but it's so far from the norm it's not even funny. I've been googling it and I found 1 department so far that has any citizen input. Most departments of any size eschew citizen input.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A person on the 'wrong end' of that has a choice to either accept it, try to change it by getting involved, or find an alternative location.

lol

Unless you're 'dead' because you were murdered by one of these 'local' cops...!

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Page 144 of 175 1 2 142 143 144 145 146 174 175

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 69 invisible), 2,491 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,445
Posts18,489,603
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.