Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Billu Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Just picked up a new zastave LH mauser in 270. Wood looks pretty nice but definitely needs to be slimmed up and re contoured. I will cut stock to 13.5" LOP with new red recoil pad. Add a metal grip cap. Re contour the massive wrap over cheek piece to something more classic. Then get a Gentry 3 position safety installed. Should be a nice deer rifle smile

[Linked Image]

GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
It looks nicer than the first LH Zastava that were shipped several years ago. You actually have a finish on the wood.

Is the forearm touching or free float?

I like both of mine 223 & 7 X 57.

The 223 required a lot of work to get it to feed right.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I would test the gun for function and accuracy before I sank a bunch of money in it. I got one that had very bad feed rails, and was a real bother to get acceptable feeding. And given that they are mass produced, there is a chance of a bummer barrel.

But assuming that it passes muster, then you are good to go. Somewhere down inside that godawful oversized stock is a gunstock--you just have to find it. Your wood has enough figure to make it worth the effort. I ordered two in on the old K-Var deal some years back, and both of those stock were plain as mud.

FYI--If you add the Gentry safety you will have to deal with how the stock has been cut to accommodate the side safety.

Billu Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
kk Alaska

The barrel on my 270 is free floated.

Utah 708

I have not shot it yet but I have tested the feeding. It works well and is definitely crf. The hole in my factory stock will be filled with some of the extra wood I have on the factory stock. All of this will only cost me my time. A DIY project

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
You could use that front sight to hang the rifle from a limb, while you were, er.. indisposed.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Billu
Just picked up a new zastave LH mauser in 270. Wood looks pretty nice but definitely needs to be slimmed up and re contoured. I will cut stock to 13.5" LOP with new red recoil pad. Add a metal grip cap. Re contour the massive wrap over cheek piece to something more classic. Then get a Gentry 3 position safety installed. Should be a nice deer rifle smile

[Linked Image]

I like it, however it should look better after you slim it down a bit. I recently did the same thing to a custom left hand stock on a new rifle I just bought... Good luck with your Zastava. It should be a great rifle.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Billu Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Just measured the LOP....14 1/2". I will need to fix that for sure smile Hoping to have this rifle ready for fall's deer season here in PA

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The more you cut off, the lighter it becomes. laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

470 members (1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 2ndwind, 12344mag, 1234, 1badf350, 48 invisible), 1,688 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,038
Posts18,521,093
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.