Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

The stove makes it easy to stop and have a hot cup of coffee or noodles, in a matter of minutes. On those days where the wet and the chill seems to cut right through ya, it makes a big difference to keeping me motivated. smile

I hear ya on that. I've used my Optimus for such purposes for years, but there's something satisfying about cooking up a hot snack/beverage with real fire. I'm gonna look into getting something like this.

Valsdad and Doc,

Like you guys, I tend to travel with a minimal amount of gear. I prefer to spend less time cooking/preparing big meals/fiddling around, and more time exploring, fishing, hunting, hiking, etc.

My backpack load-out is a lot more minimalist than most folks I meet on the trails, and I'm always looking at ways to reduce weight and carry smarter. When my kids were small, I carried a TON of gear to keep it "fun" for small minds & bodies. As they got older they caught the pack-and-travel-light bug. Well, some did, anyway. Eco-Daughter loves her big-ass tent and a car full of pillows and quilts. She calls it "glamping". She's also the hardest-charging backpacker of the bunch, though, so I can forgive the luxury. It is pretty comfy, I gotta admit.

One note on hammocks. There is a learning curve. They are extremely comfortable when done right though. One thing is that in most places where the temps dip, you really need some insulation underneath you, like an underquilt. Lots of stuff online about all that though.

Mac, funny you should mention that! I've been looking at buying a new down bag this year, but the new Enlightened Equipment bags and sleeping pads are blowing me away... I've always used my down bags like a quilt over a sleeping pad anyways (waaaaay more comfortable for me), except in truly cold weather...and these guys seem to have totally stolen my idea!

I think I'll sue them for that. As soon as Bob jumps off the Trump bandwagon I'll retain him for same...
grin

http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/revelation/

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by TAGLARRY
Junior high.

Dropped off at the edge of the wilderness area and picked up 5 days later.

Good times. Of course now days they might call they child abuse or abandonment.

Luckily, he still had his cellular phone to keep in constant text messaging with his parents. 😀

Yep,

That was always an issue back then!

Our big issue as kids was choosing between chicken and beef flavor for top ramen..

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Doc,

Nothing wrong with being comfortable while car camping for sure!

From experience with going with some others years back, they would spend hours cooking, fiddling with gear, meals, etc. I just wanted a quick bowl of hot food, a cup of coffee and to hit the road or trail.

"Adventure travel" on an enduro bike and minimalist backpacking, I have noticed share a lot in common. The titanium volcano stove fits both categories quite well, and I will freely admit, it is fun to have a fire, even if it is a tiny one, using a handful of twigs.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Finally got enough time away from work to post these few pic's. The rig is not as tidy as Id like it to be fro a photo session....sorry. The trailer is a 16' Cargo Craft utility. The entire build was done by me. The walls are stuffed with 1" styrofoam insulation. It will tote two Honda's with the doors shut.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Reloder28; 05/29/16.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The bare sheet of plywood you see upright between the Honda and the countertop is the bed that folds down. Its bedroll rolls up into the cubby hole there.

Outside view:
[Linked Image]

Two Honda ATV's inside, fold down beds, 21 cf Fridge, sink, 6' countertop, gun racks, Wife...not much else I could ask for.

Last edited by Reloder28; 05/29/16.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B2

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mine is a '67 Silver Streak 24'. Looks like the one in this ad.

[Linked Image]

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by pal
Mine is a '67 Silver Streak 24'. Looks like the one in this ad.

[Linked Image]

Wow! That is very nice!!

Robert E. Lee
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
28--thanks.

It is still in good shape, though the interior needs refinishing and some veneer repair. The original galley is that '60's look. Even the sink and stove are still nice.

[Linked Image]

The convertible dinette seats have been rebuilt, re-cushioned and recovered.

[Linked Image]

Not original is one of the twin beds I have converted to a desk with storage and entertainment system with Yamaha electric piano. smile The drawers have yet to be constructed. The TV hinges out so it can be viewed from the dinette.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by pal; 05/29/16.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The older I get the easier I want it to be.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Put twelve thousand miles on my old 1988 Chinook last year. Odometer now on 52,000. Just the right size for one person; ok for two if you are good friends.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by pal

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

THAT is waaaay cool. Nice work Pal.

Robert E. Lee
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
BigBuck,
That is a very nice rig.

Robert E. Lee
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
In the late season I add sides to the ezup but with a table and chair inside the 10x10 tent it is a comfortable camp for one hunter.

The integrated front vestibule zips up and makes a nice dry spot to sit and relax with a good drink.

It may not be weather as bad as parts north but above 9000 ft the Sierra's gets it share of high winds and snow. The Cabela's Extreme tent works nicely.

[Linked Image]

The old Dakota had just hit 290k miles when this picture was taken, with limited slip and chains it has gotten me off the beaten path and back many times.

Last edited by old_willys; 05/29/16.

Ted
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thabks, R28. Nothing that I would try off the beaten path but sure works good for my modern day type of camping. However, I still sleep in a sleeping bag.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Bigbuck, that really is a sweet ride.

Gas engine?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, big old Ford gas guzzler 460 that probably averages around 9mpg. I stopped at a restaurant in NM last spring and overheard a conversation between four other people pulling a camper. Woman says they never got over four mpg all day long so I beat them bad. And the old rig will propel it's self down the road faster than I want to drive it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I would have guessed a 460.

Just showed the pics to my wife. She thought it was uber cool.

If you ever decide to sell it please let us know!

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I use this to haul lawn mowers around all year... But ....

16 foot v nose trailer with a RV door, and two sliding Windows, and a regular French door back end.

I insulated it, and put in a 18kv Atwood RV furnace, w/thermostat.

I put a camp chief over/ cook stove on top of the furnace box and it's a nice make shift kitchen, that and a cot... All good. (Tire sitting on it right now)..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Spotshooter; 05/29/16.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
My camp's gonna need a little work.......

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sam, I am planning on going thru your city the last Sunday of June. That is, if this cancer business doesn't have me down so if I make it, I would like to look you up and maybe have a brew. I consume about two a year so the first one may as well be there.
And Chinook will be with me. If my health fails, it will be for sale but if I come out winner, I will use it a few more years. We will see and I sure will let you know first.

Ivan

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mackay_Sagebrush if a few acres comes with that fixer up then I am interested. Normally I use a Kifaru 12 man tipi with a large stove.

Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

414 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 17Fan, 53 invisible), 2,765 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,409
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.