Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Sad

THOUSANDS of weapons have been handed over to police following the launch of a national air gun amnesty last week.

The law will change on December 31 meaning that every gun must be licensed. A new air weapons certificate application form will be available from July 1.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's exactly where we are headed if the liberals have their way...

But, they will tell you they don't have that as a goal.

Yeah. Right.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sad indeed.

I thought the men over there wore kilts, not skirts..... grin

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
when they get done, the ballast along the railroad will be outlawed.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
That's exactly where we are headed if the liberals have their way...and we comply.....

fixt it for you.

Just say " No".

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Sad indeed.

I thought the men over there wore kilts, not skirts..... grin

Got a friend that's scottish.

Bagpipes, crest, kilt, the whole bit.

I like to get him half lit and then mention that the Scots developed kilts so they could $hit themselves and run away at the same time.

Always gets interesting.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What a bunch of sheeple.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I can't believe anyone would gladly hand over their guns to politicians...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wallace must be spinning in his grave.

Pathetic. What a bunch of bloody wankers.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
DaMN a government controlling of the use of air. In short order some corporation is gonna control the right to sell it.

The end of democracy, and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Disgusting.... But it's nothing new. My paternal grandfather emigrated from Scotland over 100 years ago because of crap like that. Although back then they hadn't started in on the guns yet. I still have relatives in Dundee, one of whom actually owned a centerfire rifle about 10 years ago. He eventually gave it up, (sold it) because there's too much red tape, expense, regulation, licensing, and general hassle involved in being a gun owner. That's where this country is also headed because too many gun owners won't get off their asses and fight and vote. Next thing you'll know is you can't own a gun unless you're wealthy and well connected. That's the new "common sense", "reasonable" gun control model that was put into place over there and is now being implemented over here also. It's not just Scotland either; the entire U.K. (England, Ireland, Scotland ) is quite nasty on gun ownership. Come July I will get to hear about this sickening crap first hand when my cousin from Dundee (the ex-firearm owner) comes over here for a visit. We always go out shooting, visit local gun shops, etc. and I can imagine he will have a few choice words about it. Meanwhile; I wish more American gun owners would wake up before it's too late.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
hat the Scottish Government is doing

Everyone knows the damage that can be caused by firearms and airguns that are used irresponsibly and dangerously. The Scottish Government is clear that it is not acceptable for communities to continue to suffer as a result of the selfish and stupid actions of those who treat guns as toys.

The Scottish Government respects the rights of those who use firearms and airguns safely and responsibly, but is taking action to stop those who would use weapons dangerously.

Air weapon licensing

The Air Weapons and Licensing (Scotland) Act 2015 was passed by Parliament on 25 June, and received Royal Assent on 4 August 2015. Part 1 of the Act sets out a robust licensing regime for air weapons, which has been developed in consultation with Police Scotland and other stakeholders.

The introduction of licensing will deliver a manifesto commitment for the Scottish Government, and makes use of new powers devolved by the Scotland Act 2012. Air weapon licensing will make our communities safer and stronger by allowing the police to take potentially lethal weapons out of the hands of those who would misuse them. Legitimate shooters will be able to apply to the police for an air weapon certificate. Find out more about air weapon licensing.

Next Steps

The Scottish Government will continue to work with Police Scotland, shooting and gun control interests, local authorities and others to do all we can to end the irresponsible and dangerous use of firearms in our communities. We in Government will continue to push for a firearms regime that is simpler to understand, administer and enforce, and which makes public safety its main goal.

FAQ

1. How easy is it going to be to get an air gun licence?

The simple answer is that it is going to be as easy or as difficult as it is just now to get a firearm certificate. The standards expected for an air weapon certificate will be similar to those for a firearm certificate although we have been told that the process will be “light touch”.

2. I have an air rifle – do I need to get a certificate now?

No, the requirement to have the certificate doesn’t come into effect until 31st December 2016, but from July 1st 2016, you will be able to apply to the police for one. If you have applied for an air weapon certificate before the 31st December 2016 you will be able to continue to hold your air weapon even if the certificate has not yet been issued.

3. How much will an airgun certificate cost and how long will it last for?

We still do not know how much it will cost but the Scottish Government is aware that if it is much more expensive than a firearm certificate or shotgun certificate airgun shooters will go for a firearm or shotgun certificate instead. We have been told that the cost will be less than that of a firearms or shotgun certificate. The air weapon +certificate will last for five years, unless you are between 14 and 18 when you apply, in which case it will last until you become 18.

4. What information will I need to give to get an airgun certificate?

The information you will need to supply will be almost identical to that supplied when completing an application for a firearm certificate. This will be personal information, such as date and place of birth. There will also be a need to provide “good reason” for possession of airguns and this would include target shooting, pest control or collecting.

5. Will the police visit me and will I need to show them my airguns?

The intention would be for the police to “visit an applicant’s home or other places where the weapons may be used or stored”. However, Scottish Government believes that such checks should only be required in a small number of cases.

6. I live in Scotland and already have a shotgun certificate/firearm certificate. Do I need to apply for another certificate for my air rifle?

Yes. However, those with an existing certificate would not need to apply for an airgun certificate until their existing certificate/s expires. When renewing your existing shotgun or firearm certificate you would then be expected to apply for an airgun certificate.

7. I use my air rifle to control the rabbits in my garden. Will that be OK in the future?

Pest control will be recognised as a “good reason” for having an airgun certificate. However, the Scottish Government have expressed concern about “plinking” in gardens or other urban or highly populated settings. It could well be that pest control in a large garden is acceptable but not plinking in a small garden.

8. I am a member of an airgun club. Will that be OK in the future?

Membership of an “approved” airgun club would be seen as good reason. Your club would have to apply for formal approval from the Chief Constable to become an “approved air weapon club”.

9. I collect old British air rifles and pistols as a hobby, but rarely shoot them. Will I need to get a certificate?

Yes, you will need to apply for a certificate to allow you to possess these air weapons. The licence might be conditioned to allow possession only, and if this should be the case you would not be able to fire them.

10. I only use my air rifle for the occasional bit of plinking in my small garden. Will I need a certificate and will I get a certificate?

Yes, you will need a certificate but you may not get one.That depends on the arrangements you have in place. It’s not the intention to ban all plinking, provided it can be done safely. It will be for the police, supported by Scottish Government guidance, to decide on a case-by-case basis whether land is suitable.

11. My daughter is only 12 but really enjoys shooting at targets in the garden with me. If I get a certificate can we continue to do this?

If you get an airgun certificate that allows you to shoot targets in your garden you will be able to continue supervising your daughter while she shoots.

12. What would happen if I had an air rifle or pistol but did not have an airgun certificate when the law comes into force on the 1st January 2017?

If you were found to be in possession of an air rifle or air pistol without a certificate then you could face imprisonment for up to two years, or a fine, or both.

13. Do I need to get a certificate for each of my air rifles – I have 3?

The intention is that one certificate will cover any number of air rifles and air pistols.

14. I am 16 and shoot rabbits on the farm with my dad’s air rifle.
Do I need to get a certificate or would I be covered by my dad’s air weapon certificate?

You would be covered by your father’s air weapon certificate but only if he accompanied and supervised you at all times. If you wished to continue shooting on your own you would need to have your own certificate. BASC (British Association for Shooting and Conservation) successfully amended the Bill to ensure that all of those between 14 and 18 could continue to shoot live quarry. The BASC (British Asociation for Shooting and Conservation) successfully amended the Bill to ensure that all of those between 14 and 18 could continue to shoot live quarry.

17. What has BASC done to try to prevent this?

BASC has lobbied against the introduction of this legislation for the past decade. We presented evidence against the devolution of firearms legislation to the Scotland Bill Committee in 2011 and have continued to highlight the fact that education and enforcement of the existing legislation has led to a 75% reduction in air weapon offences in the past six years. We have also presented evidence to the Public Petitions Committee. As a member of the Scottish Firearms Consultative Panel we also advised Scottish Government on many problems that this proposed legislation would create. We have used both television and radio to highlight these problems. Most recently we presented written and oral evidence to the Local Government and Regeneration Committee and worked with a member of that Committee to make important amendments.

18. I have a few convictions for breach of the peace and one for drink driving. I have never been to prison but am worried that I may not get a certificate if I applied.

The Chief Constable would only grant an air weapons certificate if he was satisfied that a person could possess an air weapon “without danger to the public safety or to the peace”. Each application would be taken on its individual merits but previous convictions could lead to the application being refused.

19. My shotgun certificate was revoked 5 years ago and since then I have really got into air rifle shooting. Will the revocation affect an application for an air gun certificate?

Again, a previous revocation might affect an application for an air weapon certificate. After five years this may not be critical, especially if you have not come to the attention of the police in that period.

20. If I have to sell or dispose of my airguns, will there be any compensation for my losses?

Sadly, there are no provisions for compensation in the Act. If you must dispose of your guns, sale to a legitimate club, Registered Firearms Dealer or certificate holder would be the best way. Police Scotland will also be running a campaign to allow people to hand in any unwanted air weapons before licensing takes effect – 1st January 2017.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Does this mean an opportunity to purchase interesting, old British & European airguns imported from Scotland?

Some capable importer needs to look at this.

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My ancestors, the McDonalds, McCluskeys and McFaddens would be very glad that they left Scotland in the 1680's and landed in Cape Fear and ended up in Texas in the 1850's if they heard this silliness.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah; might be a market where you could purchase "Pre-Ban A.R.'s". Except in this case the "A.R." stands for Air Rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
This is precisely why the American Revolution was a darned good idea.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
This is precisely why the American Revolution was a darned good idea.

Wholeheartedly agreed. Lest we forget...

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I used to cringe when I lived in Alberta watching this on the news. Bad overall no doubt and painfully bad as I watched piles of Winchester's and Colt's stack and be shoveled away.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Squirrelnut
What a bunch of sheeple.

I have noticed that every white nation does everything it can to f ck it's people over whilst sucking the collective dick of everything that is not white.

So not "sheeple"..."lemmings" are a better title.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
the difference between "subjects" and "citizens" , for now anyway.

.... like tears in the rain
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (160user, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 59 invisible), 2,542 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,336
Posts18,487,662
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.