Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 16 1 2 12 13 14 15 16
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I guess the only thing that rubbed a nerve was seemingly suggesting that because it had never happened to you, or anybody you knew, that it never happens. But that's obviously not what you meant.

And just as obviously, my attitude is a lot like yours. Otherwise I wouldn't have done all sorts of stuff, including my job, which isn't exactly risk-free!

Good hunting,

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Uh, no. In every post I said I knew it happened. I also said in almost every post that it will probably happen to me at some point. I could go back and highlight every time I said it, but I wont. It's there if you want to read it. So far it hasn't happened to me or any of my friends. I can't change that. I have met and been in camp with people it has happened to, and almost every instance was preventable.

Again, I wasn't trying to piss you off or anything else. Merely stating my reason for not being worried about using non standard rounds. Risk is part of life, and one I enjoy at times.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Kodiakisland,

Yeah, I'm sending mixed signals--partly because I often HAVE to hunt with non-standard rounds, as part of my job. Many readers aren't very interested in hearing what the .270 or .30-06 or .375 H&H will do, because they're rifle loonies and to them the rifle is as much a part of the story as the hunt.

But also as part of my job, I don't often pay full price for hunts, and sometimes nothing at all, though quite often there's still quite a bit of money sunk into travel, licenses, tips and other incidentals such as motels/hotels while going and coming from the hunts. For many years I averaged spending at least $10,000 a year, and sometimes considerably more, while flying somewhere just about every month. (I don't travel nearly as much as back then, by choice, both because I did just about everything I'd wanted to, and because I wanted to stay closer to home to hunt with family and friends.)

But because of traveling so much, and got to know so many other people who did it frequently, that I also learned pretty quickly how prevent problems, or have a solution ready if something did go wrong. I also know damn well I've been lucky not to have my ammo go astray on any big trip, because I've seen it happen to so many people, often through no fault of their own.

But knowing what I know now, if I was somebody who didn't work as a hunting writer, and instead saved a bunch of money from their regular job to go on a few dream trips in a lifetime, I probably wouldn't take a .280, or whatever cartridge some rifle loony has persuaded themselves is superior to so many world-wide standards that do the same things. In fact, I probably wouldn't dick around with nearly so many cartridges, instead sticking to a very few standards and thus saving money to spend on more hunting, whether near home or far away.

Now, if I owned some heirloom rifle that would add real meaning to a special hunt, but was chambered in some hard-to-find cartridge, I'd do it--but I'd also take along a second rifle in a standard chambering, just in case. In fact, as mentioned earlier that's what I often do when "field-testing" some oddball round. This can be a PITA, because I much prefer to travel with one rifle inside a take-down case, with a spare scope (though have also done some iron-sight-only hunts in both North America and Africa, which tend to be far more relaxing, because there's no worry about whether the scope might go bad and need to be switched, or rifle might get rolled on by a horse.)

Part of my job is to entertain, but part is also to provide readers with the benefit of my experience, whether with cartridges, rifles, game, travel or whatever. That's why I try lots of stuff, including taking oddball cartridges to strange places. But that doesn't mean it's not risky for somebody who saved for years to go on that that ONE dream to take a rifle in an oddball chambering. That's their right, of course, but it's also part of my job to say it's risky, and why.

Sage advice.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Kodiak,

I went back and read your posts, and yep, you're right, you always said it could happen. My bad. Apparently what got me going was statements like this:

“Yeah, As I said I know it happens, but usually what I've heard could have easily been prevented.”

“I've been at camps where people showed up without their ammo and it was completely preventable.”

So I provided some examples of when it wasn’t preventable.

And as noted in my previous post, obviously you and I are a lot alike!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most people I know the gun is just a tool to complete the hunt. To me, the gun is just as important as the hunt. I like odd things and enjoy using them. I'm also willing to take whatever I get if I do end up on the bad end of travel issues. I've been flying with guns since the late 80s and take as many precautions as I can. the worst thing that happened is all my hunting gear ended up in Dutch Harbor for a week without me. I had my rifle and ammo and hunted elsewhere until the airlines got things straitened out.

I'm also not trying to make money or only taking THE once in a lifetime trip. If I was I'm sure I'd look at things different. If a hunt turned into a photo shoot it wouldn't ruin my trip, but I know that's not how it is for many. I also get that sometimes things are out of your control. I'm OK with that too.

Ending up with no ammo to me is no different than having a scope or gun malfunction and not be fixable on the trip. Either way, the gun is out of commission and something else has to be done. Sometimes I travel with two guns, sometimes I tempt fate. I feel on almost every hunt I've been on, I could have come up with some solution to be able to hunt.

All to say you give sound advice and I was in no way trying to trump it. I enjoy your writing even if I don't always follow your advice.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot about the trip my gun didn't show for 24hrs after I got there. had ammo though!

Last edited by Kodiakisland; 06/03/16.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
We are a lot alike. Would be very happy just to take photos too, in fact if I go back to Africa may do that. Always take some time off to do that anyway when on a hunting safari.

But get to hunt enough in Montana with my own rifles (and surrounding states and provinces where I can drive, rather than risking an airline screw-up) that it doesn't bother me to hunt with something else on an assignment-type hunt. In fact I'm happy to have a rifle waiting for me there, rather than going through the hassle of traveling with them, especially internationally. But then I'm also at the stage of life where I'm planning to hunt more locally with family heirloom rifles, instead of rifles I bought or built--which will be just as important as the hunt, perhaps more so, though the sum will be greater than the parts.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Of course, very few of the people commenting here have used by far the the finest cartridge in this class, the B-29. If they had, all this blathering about the .270, .280 and "improving" would disappear, due to the obvious superiority of .29 caliber.

Unfortunately, the B-29 is so good it was apparently suppressed, probably by the Obama administration, perhaps through BATFE agents on another "secret" mission to disarm the American people.

Speaking of Blathering :

Was this mythifictitious Bravo-Two-Niner based upon the RSAUM case ?

I assume it was best served by a Full Gainer Twist...

;-)

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Nope, it was the 7.5x55 Swiss necked down, with a small but vital change in the shoulder angle. The .29 caliber bullets turned out to have extremely high ballistic coefficients, due to the combination of diameter and twist. For a short period after the cartridge was introduced it appeared the bullets actually GAINED velocity, but eventually they turned out to lose a few fps over 500 yards. But they did flip big game animals over on their backs, ready to be field-dressed.

John Steinbeck
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I don't know JB; I didn't see any velocity loss until at least 600 yds. All the animals I shot with it ended up on their sides 'cause I Iike to use the "gutless method" smile

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
No substitute for actual field experience ;-)

When I'm out cruising in a hunting area, and stop in at a shop that sells ammo, I check or ask if they have my oddball calibers (.280 Rem) in stock.
I'm not insulted if they don't carry it, but if they do, I make a note of price, and quantity for another visit.
Sometimes, I've bought a couple boxes that were great bargains at old prices.
Lots of this stuff gets discounted substantially at the end of hunting season too.

Found some old Green & White boxed Federal Premiums w/150 NP that I've yet to match for accuracy that way. Wish they had more.

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
"....One has to conclude that Col. Whelen was quite right - the 280 Remington is about the finest, most practical all around big game hunting cartridge that we have."

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by ruraldoc
I also have a 280 Improved being built. Actually asked for a 270 or 280 and let the gunsmith talk me into the improved. He said it was way better. (That means he already had the reamer)

Like a true loon, I said sure, go ahead.😊

And you're glad you did, right? If not, you will be.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Used to have trigger locks on my firearms before I had a safe. Went dove hunting a couple of hours from home once and forgot to remove the locks before I left. I also forgot to bring the key. A screwdriver will remove the locks with minimum to no scratches.

I would never be so foolish as to forget my ammunition.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Reloder28
"....One has to conclude that Col. Whelen was quite right - the 280 Remington is about the finest, most practical all around big game hunting cartridge that we have."

^ True Dat ^

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bowmanh
I've never run out of .280 ammunition and needed to buy more on a hunting trip...

I have never run out of ammo for ANY rifle on a hunting trip. Short of theft (and then I'm likely short a rifle as well), how anyone could allow that to happen is beyond me. Then again, I seldom require more than one shot.

I hear this absurd argument about ammo availability over and over again, and I'll go to my grave thinking it's way overstated.

Chris
C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by richardca99
I've never run out of .280 ammunition and needed to buy more on a hunting trip...

I have never run out of ammo for ANY rifle on a hunting trip. Short of theft (and then I'm likely short a rifle as well), how anyone could allow that to happen is beyond me. Then again, I seldom require more than one shot.

I hear this absurd argument about ammo availability over and over again, and I'll go to my grave thinking it's way overstated.

Bully for you big guy.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by richardca99

Wow what a guy!

Impressive!

Last edited by BobinNH; 09/01/16.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You two are adorable. My point is, a little preparation makes it a non-factor in buying a rifle or choosing a caliber--particularly if one handloads.

Chris
C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
"Then again, I seldom require more than one shot".

That got me all hot and bothered

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I like the 280 simply because it is not a 270. I hold no illusions that I will do anything with it that I could not do with a 270. Or a 30-06, 7RM, and about a dozen others for that matter.

It's a nice cartridge, built on a great case that is easily available, and has big game bullets from at least 120 to 180 grains. And as I said before....it's not a 270 smile

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Page 14 of 16 1 2 12 13 14 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

661 members (160user, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 163bc, 10gaugemag, 69 invisible), 2,546 guests, and 1,392 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,965
Posts18,480,612
Members73,958
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.