Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm thinking about getting a Garmin 60csx. It is supposed to work well under heavy tree cover (my 8 year old Garmin 12 does not). I was wondering if anybody has any first-hand experience as to whether this thing is as good as advertised.

Thanks!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I have the 76csx. It works very well even inside large buildings, our home or vehicles.

Granted, our forests are probably not as thick as yours, but I have never found a place where my unit could not catch at least four to five sats. It usually shows nine or better on the display.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Idaho Shooter! Anybody else got one?

Wade

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have the same one Idaho Shooter has, a 76CS.
Everyting he says is right on..

Don

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Waders,

I recalled this quote from MarkG in a thread last June concerning the Garmin60csx.

It might be relevant to your search.

I found it at www.GPSnow.com for $399. I had seen it well over $450 other places.

IC B2

Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for link!

It inspired me to some other searches and I found it for $345 (after rebate) at Amazon. I haven't decided whether to buy it or not yet, but it sure is tempting.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-GPSMap-60CSx-Handheld-Navigator/dp/B000CSOXTO

Wade

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have one and love it. Worked great here in SW washington, where as you know the canopy is thick and the weather sucked this elk season. Only had it loose signal once for a very short time. Worked way better than my older GPS and was more reliable than I expected in the timber.

The best price I found was at www.gpsonsale.com it is $364 before the rebate I beleive.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got a feelin I'll be gettin one for Xmas....tell ya more after that.

When it comes to choosing friends....I'm at an age where I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

G
G
I bought the 60 just because with the factory rebate it was cheaper than the 76. My friend has a 76, we used them side by side this deer season in dense cedar forests. They seemed to both lock in and track the same. If you get locked on before you get in the thick stuff they will stay connected and give you a track the whole time. When you turn them on in dense cover they struggle getting connected. As you probably know the 60 is wider but seems like it ways about the same. Get a case for it so the screen does not get marred. My old etrex got so I could hardly see thru it. Both the 60 and 76 are light years ahead of my old etrex.
Enjoy
Gary

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I do tons of hiking and backpacking in the central & North Cascades, usually off-trail to high lakes. These areas are notorious for loss of signal for GPS's. I do not own a 60CSx but I know several who do. I'm going go out on a limb here and say that the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx is without a doubt the hands-down favorite among the hardcore backpackers I know. From what I hear it's the only GPS that will perform reliably in these areas.

IC B3

Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've been dropping some not-so-subtle hints to my wifey. The 60csx is on my list! I'll let you know if I get it for Christmas.

Wade

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have the 60csx and it's awesome. I can't believe how much better it locks on to satellites than my etrex. I thought the etrex was good, and it is, but the 60csx is a lot quicker. Plus I love having the ability to load maps into it, and the color screen is nice too. I got it the same place as firedog. After the rebate, it's $315.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Waders,

I haven't been around the computer much the last few days, just caught up to this thread again.

A couple comments about the Garmin GPS units. The map which came installed on my 76csx is a complete waste of time. It is totally void of details and only shows the most major highways.

I paid 100 bucks for the Garmin TOPO US maps on CD. This is a very detailed mapping program of the entire USA. My 76csx included a 128 mb micro memory card. I was able to store most of the Pacific North West in topographical form on the memory card. Now I have a really useful tool in the back country.

Garmin sells a different mapping product to use on these GPS units for highway travel. The TOPO mapping program is very limited in road detail and has very little information inside the city limits.

My Garmin 76 uses AA size batteries. I use NiMHi rechargebles which I share with the digital camera and mini mag light. The Garmin will run about ten hours continuously on a fully charged set of batteries. That is kind of cool for making bread crumb trails when you are traveling a lot of strange territory quickly by motor vehicle. I know a couple of snowmobilers who really like this feature.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My brother bought one of the Garmin 60CSx GPS's and is real happy with it he uses it in both his Samurai and GEO Caching. He swears by it. He has it set up in the Samurai for extreme off roading, by that I mean he's done the Moab thing in Utah, the North Rim of Grand Canyon, as well as number of other 4x4 Rallies both here in the Northwest and down in the Southwest, namely the Yuma area.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Waders,

I haven't been around the computer much the last few days, just caught up to this thread again.

A couple comments about the Garmin GPS units. The map which came installed on my 76csx is a complete waste of time. It is totally void of details and only shows the most major highways.

I paid 100 bucks for the Garmin TOPO US maps on CD. This is a very detailed mapping program of the entire USA. My 76csx included a 128 mb micro memory card. I was able to store most of the Pacific North West in topographical form on the memory card. Now I have a really useful tool in the back country.

Garmin sells a different mapping product to use on these GPS units for highway travel. The TOPO mapping program is very limited in road detail and has very little information inside the city limits.

My Garmin 76 uses AA size batteries. I use NiMHi rechargebles which I share with the digital camera and mini mag light. The Garmin will run about ten hours continuously on a fully charged set of batteries. That is kind of cool for making bread crumb trails when you are traveling a lot of strange territory quickly by motor vehicle. I know a couple of snowmobilers who really like this feature.

+1

I have the same GPS and the Garmin TOPO map CD. That unit is amazing in what it will do. I have all of Northerd Michigan on my computer and download way points to the GPS for my trips.
I can't imagine a better GPS. When I'm out and about, I have the Compass screen page up and the 76 is sitting on the passagner's seat so I can track my movement in the back country, off road.
I use Lithium AA's in it for longivity.

Don

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 160user, 01Foreman400, 52 invisible), 2,766 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,128
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.