Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Hi Gents,

My buddy is a left-handed 69yr old gent who has an extra left hand Model 70 in Stainless steel and 270 Win that he was hoping to have converted into a .220 Swift. Is this possible?

He wants his .220 Swift to match his existing .270 in Left-hand; and Model 70's in varmint cartridges and CRF for left-handed folks were not produced in left-hand, let alone in left-hand stainless (to match his other 270.).

Thanks- I told him I'd post the question on this forum to get some initial feedback before scouting for a gunsmith to do the work.

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization"-- Emerson

Support outdoor sports and our hunting-conservationist heritage; hunt with high morals and ethical standards
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rim diameter is the same. Should just be a barrel swap. Feeding might need a little tuning if it's not a CRF.

Unless it's for bench rest, you can buy a E.R. Shaw installed for <$300. The old barrel should bring +- $150 if mint here or on Ebay.

Shoot a Swift slow and it will last forever.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
It'll be more than just a simple barrel swap. It's a rimmed cartridge - the body at the web is .030 +/- smaller than the rim, therefore it's not going to 'stack' well in the magazine and care will be needed when loading to ensure the next round on top will have its rim in front of the one underneath.. Not to mention obtaining a follower that will help with feeding..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The pre 64 M70 in 220 Swift had a slanted box so that the rims of the cases did not overlap.

They fed/functioned fine. But that all went away in 1964 with all the M70 "improvements".

I would not use the Classic to build a Swift.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by mountainpappa
Rim diameter is the same. Should just be a barrel swap. Feeding might need a little tuning if it's not a CRF.

Unless it's for bench rest, you can buy a E.R. Shaw installed for <$300. The old barrel should bring +- $150 if mint here or on Ebay.

Shoot a Swift slow and it will last forever.

mountainpappa = Larry Root.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by BobinNH
The pre 64 M70 in 220 Swift had a slanted box so that the rims of the cases did not overlap.
Had a very special, weird-shaped follower too, IIRC...

They fed/functioned fine. But that all went away in 1964 with all the M70 "improvements".

I hear ya.. Best thing for that round in a classic is 'single-feed' off a bench..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Might be worthwhile to put the safe in the middle position, fill up the magazine with swifts and see how they feed.

Rim diameter the same as a 270 base and shoulder are smaller.

Worst case, it's a "2 shooter", which for a Swift is hardly an issue.

Did the 225 Winchester have a weird magazine ? (also a semi-rimmed cartridge)

Last edited by mountainpappa; 06/06/16.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Might be worthwhile to put the safe in the middle position, fill up the magazine with swifts and see how they feed.

Put the safety in the mid-position and then unscrew the firing pin. That's one reason I love the M70 as I can function test my reloads in my house with complete safety.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Had a very special, weird-shaped follower too, IIRC...

I hear ya.. Best thing for that round in a classic is 'single-feed' off a bench..

Redneck ; Yup!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by reelman

Put the safety in the mid-position and then unscrew the firing pin. That's one reason I love the M70 as I can function test my reloads in my house with complete safety.

That's a good extra caution.

Funny how some seem to "know" w/o every trying.

Kinda like the "experts" who told be that a 1903 Springfield action could not work with a 6.5x55 without opening the bolt face and messing with the magazine. Wrong then, probably wrong now.

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I had a swift built on a Rem 700 action, different I know. It was a 22-250 originally. I had a new barrel installed and chambered to 220s. It feeds and functions perfectly and there has been no changes other than new barrel and chambering.
However, when you load the magazine, always slide the first cartridge all the way to the rear, then the second cartridge slide it back so that its semi rim is in front of the first cartridges semi rim, then do the same for each additional cartridge.
Come to think of it, I had two of these made, shot the barrel out of the first and had a second one made.
They both functioned just fine.

NRA Patron
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by reelman

That's a good extra caution.

Funny how some seem to "know" w/o every trying.

Kinda like the "experts" who told be that a 1903 Springfield action could not work with a 6.5x55 without opening the bolt face and messing with the magazine. Wrong then, probably wrong now.

How is that blow-up pig of yours doing?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (257 roberts, 06hunter59, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 53 invisible), 12,032 guests, and 1,111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,259
Posts18,544,644
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.