Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Been using a couple of these birdfeeders for years with great success at keeping squirrels out. They'd still come around, but just to pick up bird seed off the ground that the starlings throw out (hate them suckers, too).

[Linked Image]

This morning, Einstein squirrel made his appearance. Rather than figure out a way to get to the holes and the bird feed without having the outer cage slide down, the sunnofabeach just chewed straight through the plastic on the side of the feeder. For squirrels that chew through black walnut hulls because they're bored, I don't think a birdfeeder with plastic has been made that would keep one from chewing through.

Being that I love having my goldfinches outside, any suggestions?

[Linked Image]

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Squirrels taste great fried in butter....hint.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe

especially grain fed squirrel

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
squirrels have cost a buddy of mine, or i should say his insurance company 200,000 dollars over the last few yrs.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Squirrels can be tenacious.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes an air gun an then fricasseed squirrel. Good Luck . Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ingwe

When I saw him there this morning tossing down handfuls of seed to his slacker squirrel buddies on the ground, I saw red and ran out and could have grabbed him by the tail (sucker looked flat out shocked). I think my intention was to introduce him to the side of the garage.. then decided an 8 year old $20 birdfeeder wasn't a real good reason to have to go for rabies shots.

If I didn't have a jerk of a neighbor, I'd set up a plywood backstop and reduce the squirrel population with one of my kid's pellet guns. Fairly sure they'd call me in, tho guy on the other side would probably help since he hates black walnut hulls in his gutters.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Some of my hunting partners purchased feeders utilizing plastic barrels. I said, "Those are going to be chewed up by the time the squirrels get done with them." They said, "They wouldn't sell these if a simple little squirrel could chew through it."

I tried to tell them........

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calhoun
If I didn't have a jerk of a neighbor, I'd set up a plywood backstop and reduce the squirrel population with one of my kid's pellet guns. Fairly sure they'd call me in, tho guy on the other side would probably help since he hates black walnut hulls in his gutters.

I was fairly sure this would be the issue.

Easy fix.

ingwe and I show up and park out front.

You post when the squirrel is offending, one of us walks back, shoots it, and were gone.

The scenario is so incredulous, the neighbor is dumbfounded, and we get away scot(ch) free

hint.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Luckily I live where shooting is legal. They raise havoc in my orchard. We don't have many but a few is too many when the apricots are near ripe. They bit the fruits open to eat the seeds then leave the rest to rot. I can reach the orchard from the house with a 22.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RWE

I was fairly sure this would be the issue.

Easy fix.

ingwe and I show up and park out front.

You post when the squirrel is offending, one of us walks back, shoots it, and were gone.

The scenario is so incredulous, the neighbor is dumbfounded, and we get away scot(ch) free

hint.

Is it the leopard briefs that make them dumbfounded, and wouldn't a 270 over-penetrate?

grin

Thinking of buying or making a hood to go above it and see if I can't get the suckers to just slide off. Maybe provide a bit of shade for the finches too.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Squirrel Baffle - Basically a large plate over the feeder. Has to be wider than the squirrel can reach over.

The Droll Yankee 'flipper' is more entertaining, though.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Calhoun,

There is a simple way of eradicating squirrels- it's called the Rat Zapper.
Made by Victor, the mouse trap people, the Rat Zapper is powered by 4 "C" cell batteries, which generate 8000+ volts when a critter enters the Zapper and its feet contact the base. Just bait it with peanut butter, or whatever bait you think would work for your squirrels- maybe some bird seed!

So far this season, one Zapper has accounted for 3 squirrels, 4 rats, and 6 or so mice.

Their info says they are not for outside use, but that's where I use them- I put the Zapper inside a big ammo box laid on its side, to give protection from rain, snow, etc., which can cause problems with the electronics. One set of batteries are good for around 40 zaps.

IMO, this is the most effective, efficient way of getting rid of squirrels and rats.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I think the zappers use a capacitor similar to a battery powered electric fencer. I have one that runs on 4 D cells. It'll knock you on your rear.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Been using a couple of these birdfeeders for years with great success at keeping squirrels out. They'd still come around, but just to pick up bird seed off the ground that the starlings throw out (hate them suckers, too).

[Linked Image]

This morning, Einstein squirrel made his appearance. Rather than figure out a way to get to the holes and the bird feed without having the outer cage slide down, the sunnofabeach just chewed straight through the plastic on the side of the feeder. For squirrels that chew through black walnut hulls because they're bored, I don't think a birdfeeder with plastic has been made that would keep one from chewing through.

Being that I love having my goldfinches outside, any suggestions?

[Linked Image]

Ruger 10-22

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Organic, free range limb chicken....hmmm....Choot Um!! grin

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Freeking tree rats just did $995 damage to my garage door trim and ate the input recipticle to my shop vac. I trapped and disposed of five of them. I think I could trap and dispose of 100 of them in a couple of day and still have a bunch move in.

Last edited by MissouriEd; 06/17/16.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Bighorn
Calhoun,

There is a simple way of eradicating squirrels- it's called the Rat Zapper.
Made by Victor, the mouse trap people, the Rat Zapper is powered by 4 "C" cell batteries, which generate 8000+ volts when a critter enters the Zapper and its feet contact the base. Just bait it with peanut butter, or whatever bait you think would work for your squirrels- maybe some bird seed!

So far this season, one Zapper has accounted for 3 squirrels, 4 rats, and 6 or so mice.

Their info says they are not for outside use, but that's where I use them- I put the Zapper inside a big ammo box laid on its side, to give protection from rain, snow, etc., which can cause problems with the electronics. One set of batteries are good for around 40 zaps.

IMO, this is the most effective, efficient way of getting rid of squirrels and rats.

Most effective/efficient is a black mouth curr or a 22.

But you gotta live where its ok or isn't minded. We shot em in the backyard in houston with a 22 but I was happy to move to the country when I was 12 and never look back.

Good luck. And super colibri is so quiet.....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Suggestions? Hang it where they can't get to it.... They're springy, but there's a limit to it. Something like 6 high and 6 away did it here. Of course the distract the neighbor and get'em strategy sounds funner. Dad said him and the hunting buddy used a similar trick with fire lookouts. He'd BS'm while the other stole their firewood. laugh

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

124 members (44mc, 338rcm, 7887mm08, 2500HD, 35, 15 invisible), 1,501 guests, and 1,021 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,951
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.