Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 25 1 2 3 4 24 25
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks everyone for the replies.

Dian: I will concede that synthetic stocks and stainless is the way to go in AK, notwithstanding the success many Alaskans have had with carbon steel and walnut, SS/synthetic sure would cut way down on maintenance/rust prevention.

Sitka deer: I didn’t realize shipping cost on ammo would be so cost prohibitive in AK. I do understand that the ’06 is highly effective in AK and this would probably be the most logical choice, regardless of my desire for a Whelen or the CZ 9.3x62 for that matter. I also understand that .35 Whelen/9.3x62 ammo is highly unlikely to be found in a remote town. I have addressed this issue in the past by taking 2 rifles/ammo when I travel to remote areas, in case of a problem. Should I decide to go the Whelen route, I would find a factory loading in the lower 48 & then purchase a couple of cases before traveling to AK. The Whelen would also likely give me the motivation I need to start reloading.

stevelyn: For some reason I have always shied away from the ’06 and I’m not sure why – perhaps it’s due to my fondness for the .270 and since I'm looking for more of a jump in size/power over the .270. Since I have some time, I will certainly consider the ’06.

boliep: Thanks for the offer, but I’m not a big fan of the Hawyeye due to the 1:16 twist rate.

Dogslife57: I did consider the Ruger (M77), but by the time I customized it to my liking, I could probably just get a Montana AVR/SS or V2. Laying in a supply of .35 Whelen before I move to AK and before I start to reload was/is the plan.

mart: Based on my research & a guide friend of mine in AK, I tend to agree with your assessment of the .35 Whelen. Additionally, from what I have learned about reloading so far, your recipe for the 250 grain Nosler Partition sounds like a winner.

las: I appreciate your, SD’s & 458’s comments regarding .35 Whelen ammo availability, and I realize and agree that you correct on this point, but as stated, I do have a plan to address this issue. + I’d hate to get an ’06 and then start reloading, only to find that I wished I had bought the Whelen! I have never been interested in ‘new-fangled’ cartridges; I much prefer the age-old, tried and true calibers.

kaboku68: Good to know that .35 Whelen factory loadings are available in AK. You have also confirmed what I have read about the Whelen, namely, that it’s an awesome AK caliber. The ’06 is still in contention as is the 9.3x62.

Bugger: I think it’s a great idea to rebarrel a new M70 to .35 Whelen, but again, the cost of doing so would put me into Montana AVR/SS or V2 $ territoty. I’d like to have a custom, Mauser built, but the cost is prohibitive for me.

Ray: a 220 grainer ’06, would certainly be good medicine, which is why the ’06 is still in contention.

stlooiearch: Yep.

SuperCub: Agreed. Current line-up, in order of preference: 1) Montana Rifle Co. V2 (ruled out) custom Mauser, rebarreled M70 or modified M77 in .35 Whelen, 2) CZ 550 carbine or 550 American in 9.3x62 – is a 20.6” barrel adequate for this caliber? 3) M70 in ’06. I will look into the JC Higgin M50 FN-98 action. & yes, I agree it’s time to learn to reload.

Originally Posted by Steelhead
Get a woman for warmth.

Best advice in this entire thread, and an important consideration for my impending move to AK - but not quite as important as the caliber/rifle I choose - I do have my priorities straight. When I was in AK in the early 90s, I did see several cute girls, but I was much younger then. What’s the female situation like now in AK? Considering I am now 47, I have my concerns. & yes, I’d travel to AK with a couple of cases of .35 Whelen/9.3x62, depending on my ultimate decision.

Last edited by High_Noon; 06/25/16.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've shot most stuff up here with my Whelen, almost exclusively using 250gr bullets, and have never found it wanting. I also don't shoot factory ammo and aside from one old box of federal I saw covered in dust on a shelf in Kodiak years ago the Remington stuff is about the only factory I've seen.
I also haven't been impressed with the Montana rifles I've handled and worked on regardless of calibers. I would much rather get a Ruger and sink some money into customizing it to my liking. In fact my Whelen is a M77 I rebarreled and tweaked.

Get yourself a used press and some basic reloading stuff at a garage sale or gunshow and forget the factory stuff. You'll shoot more, shoot better ammo, and won't have to worry about availability. Before you fly into the bush scatter a few extra rounds into each pack, camp box, or drybag you're taking that way if you forget or loose your ammo you'll at least have two or three. There's no TSA at the floatplane dock so you won't have to worry about that.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Thanks everyone for the replies.

Dian: I will concede that synthetic stocks and stainless is the way to go in AK, notwithstanding the success many Alaskans have had with carbon steel and walnut, SS/synthetic sure would cut way down on maintenance/rust prevention.

Sitka deer: I didn’t realize shipping cost on ammo would be so cost prohibitive in AK. I do understand that the ’06 is highly effective in AK and this would probably be the most logical choice, regardless of my desire for a Whelen or the CZ 9.3x62 for that matter. I also understand that .35 Whelen/9.3x62 ammo is highly unlikely to be found in a remote town. I have addressed this issue in the past by taking 2 rifles/ammo when I travel to remote areas, in case of a problem. Should I decide to go the Whelen route, I would find a factory loading in the lower 48 & then purchase a couple of cases before traveling to AK. The Whelen would also likely give me the motivation I need to start reloading.

stevelyn: For some reason I have always shied away from the ’06 and I’m not sure why – perhaps it’s due to my fondness for the .270 and since I'm looking for more of a jump in size/power over the .270. Since I have some time, I will certainly consider the ’06.

boliep: Thanks for the offer, but I’m not a big fan of the Hawyeye.

Dogslife57: I did consider the Ruger (M77), but by the time I customized it to my liking, I could probably just get a Montana AVR/SS or V2. Laying in a supply of .35 Whelen before I move to AK and before I start to reload was/is the plan.

mart: Based on my research & a guide friend of mine in AK, I tend to agree with your assessment of the .35 Whelen. Additionally, from what I have learned about reloading so far, your recipe for the 250 grain Nosler Partition sounds like a winner.

las: I appreciate your, SD’s & 458’s comments regarding .35 Whelen ammo availability, and I realize and agree that you correct on this point, but as stated, I do have a plan to address this issue. + I’d hate to get an ’06 and then start reloading, only to find that I wished I had bought the Whelen! I have never been interested in ‘new-fangled’ cartridges; I much prefer the age-old, tried and true calibers.

kaboku68: Good to know that .35 Whelen factory loadings are available in AK. You have also confirmed what I have read about the Whelen, namely, that it’s an awesome AK caliber. The ’06 is still in contention as is the 9.3x62.

Bugger: I think it’s a great idea to rebarrel a new M70 to .35 Whelen, but again, the cost of doing so would put me into Montana AVR/SS or V2 $ territoty. I’d like to have a custom, Mauser built, but the cost is prohibitive for me.

Ray: a 220 grainer ’06, would certainly be good medicine, which is why the ’06 is still in contention.

stlooiearch: Yep.

SuperCub: Agreed. Current line-up, in order of preference: 1) Montana Rifle Co. V2 in .35 Whelen, 2) CZ 550 carbine in 9.3x62 – is a 20.6” barrel adequate for this caliber? 3) M70 in ’06. I will look into the JC Higgin M50 FN-98 action. & yes, I agree it’s time to learn to reload.

Get a woman for warmth.

Best advice in this entire thread, and an important consideration for my impending move to AK - but not quite as important as the caliber/rifle I choose - I do have my priorities straight. When I was in AK in the early 90s, I did see several cute girls, but I was much younger then. What’s the female situation like now in AK? Considering I am now 47, I have my concerns. & yes, I’d travel to AK with a couple of cases of .35 Whelen/9.3x62, depending on my ultimate decision.

The point being, forget WALNUT for 'warmth'

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TheKid
I haven't been impressed with the Montana rifles I've handled and worked on regardless of calibers. I would much rather get a Ruger and sink some money into customizing it to my liking. In fact my Whelen is a M77 I rebarreled and tweaked.

Before you fly into the bush scatter a few extra rounds into each pack, camp box, or drybag you're taking that way if you forget or loose your ammo you'll at least have two or three. There's no TSA at the floatplane dock so you won't have to worry about that.

That's what I was afraid of regarding the Montana Rifle Co., which is why I was looking at custom Mausers in the first place. Several years ago, when I was looking at building a custom Mauser based project that never materialized, I was considering a Montana barreled action, but I read too many negative reviews for it to be a fluke and I ruled them out. Since I have an older M77 in .270, I considered using it as a base for a .35 Whelen build, but at this point in time, I don't think I want to get involved with the expense/time/hassle to do so. Of course, the CZ 9.3x62 carbine or 550 American is an attractive option as I find my 6.5x55 CZ 550 American to be a very good rifle. But perhaps I'll keep searching for the right .35 Whelen Mauser on the gun auction sites & tweak it as necessary. Also, good advice regarding a few extra rounds in each bag/pack/camp box.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The point being, forget WALNUT for 'warmth'

Duly noted. Poor word usage on my part.

- Del Gue
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
One low cost option you might consider is to find a good FN Mauser in 30-06 and have JES Reboring bore it to 35 Whelen. There are a lot of different suppliers who all used the FN Mauser actions for their rifles and can be found for not a lot of money. Rebore by JES will run you about $250. You'd have a good CRF 35 Whelen for not a lot of money. You might even find a Sedgley Springfield or Winchester 70 reasonable enough for the project.

Last edited by mart; 06/25/16.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Get a woman for warmth.

What’s the female situation like now in AK?

The odds are good but the goods are odd.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Take a hard look at the Nosler patriot outfitter rifle. It's a dandy.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sakohunter264
Take a hard look at the Nosler patriot outfitter rifle. It's a dandy.

Yes, it's certainly a nice rifle, but it's a push feed, which rules it out for me.

- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mart
One low cost option you might consider is to find a good FN Mauser in 30-06 and have JES Reboring bore it to 35 Whelen. There are a lot of different suppliers who all used the FN Mauser actions for their rifles and can be found for not a lot of money. Rebore by JES will run you about $250. You'd have a good CRF 35 Whelen for not a lot of money. You might even find a Sedgley Springfield or Winchester 70 reasonable enough for the project.

Good advice. I’ll look into that.

That’s not what I wanted to hear! At 47 and divorced, I have too much experience with crazy/neurotic females - life’s too short to have to deal with raving lunatics. For that matter, life’s too short not to have a .35 Whelen!

- Del Gue
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Get a woman for warmth.

No different than its ever been.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Get a woman for warmth.

TFF!

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Nothing like a Remington 700xcr.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
cause he wants a Whelen, which would be more than good enough for me.

I had a 700 in 06 rebored by JES and its good with cup and core, not quite so good with TTSX into 338-06... I solved the ammo issue, I hauled a bit over 100 rounds to AK with me when I left the rifle up there. Should last a bit.

I am going to get another 100 rounds or so loaded down here sometime and haul a bit more up there. LIkely to end up with 500 rounds or so by the time we move up hopefully.

Bet I can't find 338-06 on the shelf, but as long as I dont' loose the ammo on a flight/trip somewhere I"ll be fine.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

That’s not what I wanted to hear! At 47 and divorced, I have too much experience with crazy/neurotic females - life’s too short to have to deal with raving lunatics. For that matter, life’s too short not to have a .35 Whelen!
[/quote]

I read recently that 60% of all women are on meds for emotional or mental health issues. That's terrifying. That means the remaining 40% are running around unmediated.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
[quote=mart]I read recently that 60% of all women are on meds for emotional or mental health issues. That's terrifying. That means the remaining 40% are running around unmediated.

Oh man! That made me laugh!

A man isn't afraid to hunt Coastal Brownies, arguably the most fearsome animal on the planet, but is terrified of unmedicated women running around! But I have to agree. I too would rather face down an enraged Brownie than some of the crazy women I've dated and come into contact with! At least with the Brownie, it will be over quickly!

- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 700xcr
Why not get you a 375 Ruger.

As I mentioned, I prefer the old classic calibers.

& like roast495 pointed out, I do want a Whelen!

- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have found a number of FN Mausers, including a JC Higgins Model 50 and a Colt Coltsman for under $500.00 that could be the basis for a Whelen build. Since I have time, I believe I'll wait and keep looking for a Mauser custom build in .35 W on the auction sites before taking the plunge into building one of my own.

- Del Gue
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
"The odds are good, but the goods are odd", is an expression that Alaska women use to describe Alaska men. This has to do with the real or perceived notion that the men to women ration in Alaska is heavily skewed to having more men.

As I like to describe it, Alaska is the only state where fat chicks have their choice. And, as they say, in Alaska, you don't lose your woman, you lose your turn....

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
It's even funnier some dummy thinks a 06' will kill as good as a Whelen... wow...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Page 2 of 25 1 2 3 4 24 25

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1eyedmule, 1minute, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 1Longbow, 160user, 57 invisible), 2,283 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,410
Posts18,507,106
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.