Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 6mm250
Originally Posted by deflave
I can text and drive just fine.

Dave

Same thing the fuggin drunk said "I can drive just fine"

Mike

Here's some other earth shattering news.

I can have two Coors Lights and drive just fine.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 6mm250
I can text and drive just fine.

Dave

Same thing the fuggin drunk said "I can drive just fine"

Mike

Here's some other earth shattering news.

I can have two Coors Lights and drive just fine.

Dave

It is impossible for a drunk to count past 2 , "I only had a couple officer"

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Yeah. Keep legislating to the lowest common denominator. That's what freedom is all about.

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I ain't legislating schit , just telling it like it is.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I commute sixty plus miles to work and the texters are getting out of hand. Statistic show texting/cell phone use is becoming a primary causal effect for road accidents and I agree.
It's not a factor of legislating to the lowest common denominator, if that was the case I'd agree. The problem is they are trying to KILL ME. I'm all for draconian, punitive penalties for texting whilst driving as well as driving at or below the speed limit in the left lane.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Yeah.

Typing "ok" on a phone sure is tough.

What's next? Has to be locked in the glove box with the battery removed?

At least "two steps" distance from your person?

Dave

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have to "hit the ditch" pretty damned regularly. The road into my place is not all that great. I'm not complaining, I don't mind it's sensible 45 MPH speed limit, and know where it's heaves and potholes are. There are LOTS of negative to positive cambered areas. I've crossed a double solid line put in by some idiot "engineer" countless times,....many times with a Sheriff's Dept vehicle right behind,....Hey, they know these roads too, and most all of them are right in my tracks.
One of those "smile and wave" situations.
The newest shiniest mini-van or pickup is prone to swerving on roads like this.
Add an out of state tag, 65-70 MPH velocities, and texting,....THAT is what we have, and it's not flying, Orville.
GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 06/29/16.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
just "ok"? Google "Single Frequency Approach" in aviation. It might enlighten you. OR try this, on when flying an instrument approach in inclement weather, once you reach a certain point on you glidepath and distance to touchdown, the Controller directs: "you need not acknowledge further transmissions" (i.e. STFU and focus on flying) and this is to pilots and aviators, as in folks who are off the scale when it comes to multi-tasking and hand-to-eye coordination, when compared to the rest of the great unwashed...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I really don't give a fugk what you do in your airplane.

Dave

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't care about texting and driving. I don't really care if some one is drinking a beer while driving.

I do however take issue with idiots that can't drive. They suck.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
I drive 11 hours a day in the big rig. 99 percent of the time when I see somebody doing something really stupid, they are texting while driving. Drunks drive better than texters.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Driving and texting is safe.
No, it's not.

Driving 60 or 50 in the left lane isn't.
It is if the LH lane's speed limit is 60 or 50.. But some states do have laws that specify RH lane unless passing.. Of course - people ignore that just like they text and drive..

I'm with CaliRN - and if I could get away with it I'd mount that 9'6" Western on the front of my dualie and push every one of 'em I see into the deepest ditch I could find.. And it's usually women - somehow they just CAN'T get off their damned phones.. Maybe it's not rampant in some areas, but around here it's just nuts.

Too many of my friends have been rear-ended/rammed by a-holes who just CAN'T live w/o texting while driving...

Need to get one of these:

http://www.cafepress.com/mf/21278458/cell-phone-up-your-ass_bumper-sticker?productId=157476510

C'mon, Dave, maybe you're just pulling our chains with this idiocy - but I figured you to be a whole lot smarter than that..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I really don't give a fugk what you do in your airplane.

Dave

I know, it's easy to disparage what one does not understand. It's complicated and a reason as to why there's only been about 41,000 Naval Aviators in history out of a population of 320 Million. It's hard to live with, but I figured the hint at multitasking, hand-to-eye coordination and why we don't talk and fly in certain situations, not to mention statistics as to how Texting and driving effect vehicle mishaps would have clued you in..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Working in or near the road for lots of years before I retired. People on the phone, talking or texting is a problem, but so is putting on lipstick, mascara and other beauty tricks, along with reading newspapers, books, and road maps while driving 70+ MPH. All of this happens way more than you think. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't regularly pack a phone so it's not an issue with me. The one I have was previously my kid's. He can't remember its password, so I can't receive text anyway.

The best example I've seen on phone effects was the Myth Busters where the crew handled a driving course both on and off the phone (conversation only). Phone chat was about as bad as being drunk. In their examples the drivers had to respond to challenging questions like repeating a long sentence, doing some mental math, or giving detailed directions. Essentially, people cannot multitask.

I don't do freeways very often, but on those days about 9 out of 10 weaving cars are dealing with a screen when one catches up with them. There are far more really important people on this earth than I ever imagined.

To get their attention, I'd personally like to install a locomotive air horn on my rig.

If ever involved in an accident, immediately note and record the precise time if possible, and the authorities can probably check on the offenders cell activity.

Probably a good insurance money making scheme if one just drove around and kept an eye on the drivers immediately behind.

Last edited by 1minute; 06/29/16.

1Minute
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by milespatton
Working in or near the road for lots of years before I retired. People on the phone, talking or texting is a problem, but so is putting on lipstick, mascara and other beauty tricks, along with reading newspapers, books, and road maps while driving 70+ MPH. All of this happens way more than you think. miles
Agreed - but all in all I'd estimate 90% of these distractions involve phones and all the others you mention add up to the other 10%.. Just a WAG..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by jorgeI

I know, it's easy to disparage what one does not understand. It's complicated and a reason as to why there's only been about 41,000 Naval Aviators in history out of a population of 320 Million. It's hard to live with, but I figured the hint at multitasking, hand-to-eye coordination and why we don't talk and fly in certain situations, not to mention statistics as to how Texting and driving effect vehicle mishaps would have clued you in..

I'm sorry your hand-to-eye coordination is so amazing that you can't operate a phone and drive in a straight line at the same time.

Dave

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CaliRN
I drive on the freeway every day... and every day there is some car in the "fast lane" going 60 mph. Every fricking day. Today i pulled around one, two people looking at a cell phone, not 5 minutes later there is a car going about 50. Yup, texting on his cell phone. Every day, all the time. Is there something a citizen can do (short of throwing a brick through their windows)?
The CHP doesn't have enough cars around to help.
Rant off.

CaliRN

It has been well-established on the 'fire that no one should do anything to see that the laws pertaining to driving are followed.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Redneck
No, it's not.

Have you tried it?

Clark

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
I heard a lengthy interview with a gal the other day, she is starting the "Julie Don't Text and Drive Foundation." She is dedicating her life to educate people of the dangers of texting while driving.

Her daughter Julie was 18 years old, was talking on her cell phone, ran a stop sign and t-boned a truck. Totalled her car but not hurt too badly.

A year later, Julie was texting while parking on the 4th floor of a parking deck. Drove right over the edge, Dead Right There.

Julie was a slow learner. At least she killed herself before she killed someone else.
Mom ought to start the "Julie Was a Dumb Ass Foundation."

Last edited by simonkenton7; 06/29/16.
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 68 invisible), 2,347 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,704
Posts18,494,316
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.