Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/06/2...in-central-california.html?intcmp=hplnws

These killings happen every day but its the owners right? Not the breed. When was the last time a chihuahua or poodle killed a baby?

Disgusted!

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Me too. Why the unreasoning hate?

I have yet to encounter a nasty pit bull or mix. And I have, a number of them. But then again, I don't hang out with the sort of people that like or tolerate mean dogs.

I'm a a Lab man myself - and I've encountered a few nasty ones, and their owners. Man, you gotta work at that with a Lab! There are, of course exceptions. If you have a mean tempered dog, by ownership, training, not training, encouragement, or basic nature- who is it ultimately at fault?

I'm no fan of Rottweilers. I've never met a mean one of those- or a Dobie, for that matter - but I just don't care for them. There are some I have avoided, because obviously they were doing a job- self ascribed or not- that told me they'd take my throat off if I messed/approached/petted them. I ain't terribly bright, but you have to be pretty stupid not to read dog behavior. Yeah, I've been bit - my fault mostly. Or at least not the dog's under reasonable circumstance. The other two - well- they didn't survive the bite
incident by much.

A couple weeks ago I was coming into Manley Hot Springs Landing in my boat. Saw this Native kid "pretend beating" his 120-130 lb. Rotty with an 8' foot pole. Dog looked real worried- not!

Later the kid told me that the dog growled at us as we were idling down -. doing his duty warning the kid, apparently, because as soon as we landed, the dog came racing over to us- 40 yards away- and DEMANDED to be petted. First by me (thoroughly)- then by my son - less so. My kid's a freak, IMO.

Native kid said- "You know, most people are afraid of my dog- I was only pretend beating him, and he's a really nice dog."

I could tell. Hell, I'd have taken him home. The dog - not the kid, tho the kid seemed just as nice. His parents might have objected.

You get what you train, own, accept, with due allowance for temperament as an individual. If you have a dog that attacks, maims, kills - that's on you Sport, no matter what the breed.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
You are wrong, sport. Pits are responsible for deaths at a rate that is out of proportion to their numbers. All dogs bite - few kill. A high percentage of the killings are by Pits.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Where does a kid learn how to pretend beat a dog?

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by benchman
You are wrong, sport. Pits are responsible for deaths at a rate that is out of proportion to their numbers. All dogs bite - few kill. A high percentage of the killings are by Pits.
Its HOW they bite. 99% of the breeds bite quickly and it's over. A pit will hang on and keep working for a deeper bite. They do far more damage.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by las
Me too. Why the unreasoning hate?

I have yet to encounter a nasty pit bull or mix. And I have, a number of them. But then again, I don't hang out with the sort of people that like or tolerate mean dogs.

I'm a a Lab man myself - and I've encountered a few nasty ones, and their owners. Man, you gotta work at that with a Lab! There are, of course exceptions. If you have a mean tempered dog, by ownership, training, not training, encouragement, or basic nature- who is it ultimately at fault?

I'm no fan of Rottweilers. I've never met a mean one of those- or a Dobie, for that matter - but I just don't care for them. There are some I have avoided, because obviously they were doing a job- self ascribed or not- that told me they'd take my throat off if I messed/approached/petted them. I ain't terribly bright, but you have to be pretty stupid not to read dog behavior. Yeah, I've been bit - my fault mostly. Or at least not the dog's under reasonable circumstance. The other two - well- they didn't survive the bite
incident by much.

A couple weeks ago I was coming into Manley Hot Springs Landing in my boat. Saw this Native kid "pretend beating" his 120-130 lb. Rotty with an 8' foot pole. Dog looked real worried- not!

Later the kid told me that the dog growled at us as we were idling down -. doing his duty warning the kid, apparently, because as soon as we landed, the dog came racing over to us- 40 yards away- and DEMANDED to be petted. First by me (thoroughly)- then by my son - less so. My kid's a freak, IMO.

Native kid said- "You know, most people are afraid of my dog- I was only pretend beating him, and he's a really nice dog."

I could tell. Hell, I'd have taken him home. The dog - not the kid, tho the kid seemed just as nice. His parents might have objected.

You get what you train, own, accept, with due allowance for temperament as an individual. If you have a dog that attacks, maims, kills - that's on you Sport, no matter what the breed.
Your rational treatment of this subject will fall on deaf ears if addressed to the hysterics who obsessively put up posts hostile to this breed.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Its HOW they bite. 99% of the breeds bite quickly and it's over. A pit will hang on and keep working for a deeper bite. They do far more damage.
Bingo. It's not that they are more people-aggressive or more apt to inappropriately bite a person. Dogs of many other breeds are much more aggressive towards people outside their familiarity, and will bite in many more circumstances (and are generally kept away from strangers for that reason, unless serving guard duty), but like you say, with this type, it's bite and release, and maybe a few times, depending on how aggressive they are (unless trained to hold on like an attack dog).

But Pitbulls, on the other hand, are natural grippers who want to hold and never let go (other than to achieve an improved grip), once they've decided that biting is the thing to do. This has nothing to do with being mean as a breed, nor a tendency to go crazy unexpectedly. That's nonsense to anyone who actually knows the breed. It's about bite type (and body strength, determination to win and never quit, etc.), which stems from their long breed history of dog fighting, boar gripping, bull and bear baiting, going back many centuries.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Your rational treatment of this subject will fall on deaf ears if addressed to the hysterics who obsessively put up posts hostile to this breed.

So, how are snookums and cuddly-pants....have they mauled anyone lately?

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Bingo. It's not that they are more people-aggressive or more apt to inappropriately bite a person. Dogs of many other breeds are much more aggressive towards people outside their familiarity, and will bite in many more circumstances (and are generally kept away from strangers for that reason, unless serving guard duty), but like you say, with this type, it's bite and release, and maybe a few times, depending on how aggressive they are (unless trained to hold on like an attack dog).

But Pitbulls, on the other hand, are natural grippers who want to hold and never let go (other than to achieve an improved grip), once they've decided that biting is the thing to do. This has nothing to do with being mean as a breed, nor a tendency to go crazy unexpectedly. That's nonsense to anyone who actually knows the breed. It's about bite type (and body strength, determination to win and never quit, etc.), which stems from their long breed history of dog fighting, boar gripping, bull and bear baiting, going back many centuries.
I was commenting on Benchman's statement that all dogs bite, which they do. However, pits have a history of attacking without cause. They snap in the head and attack, totally unprovoked. There are to many instances of it to reasonably say otherwise. The number of these attacks is way out of proportion to their numbers.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, Pits are just like any other dog

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JSTUART

So, how are snookums and cuddly-pants....have they mauled anyone lately?
I've had two pure Pits in my life, along with many other dogs of various breeds, starting from when I was born into a house that had dogs. I've been involved in obedience training and competition, involving the winning of trophies and ribbons, not to mention tracking work. I've assisted in the protection training of my own Doberman of loving memory.

Of all the dogs I've owned in my fifty-five years, my two pure Pitbulls were by far the most people-friendly. That's their nature vs most other breeds, and stems from their long involvement in the blood sports (this seems counter-intuitive only to the novice), where human handlers (even strangers to the dogs) needed to be able to confidently put their hands and faces right in the mix when the dog is most aggressively involved in a blood sport (fighting dogs, bulls, bears, or gripping boars afield). Any specimen that would transfer aggression from their animal target to a human was utterly useless in the sport, and would immediately be culled. The result of centuries of this practice made a breed that's naturally averse to human-aggression. Not that this cannot be overcome with abuse or conditioning, but there you have it.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
You guys need to remember that if a dog has a hold of your arm and you are going down, you had better make sure your knees are on that dogs ribs when you hit the ground, if you don't kill them, there is a very good chance that they will kill you.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I was commenting on Benchman's statement that all dogs bite, which they do. However, pits have a history of attacking without cause. They snap in the head and attack, totally unprovoked. There are to many instances of it to reasonably say otherwise. The number of these attacks is way out of proportion to their numbers.
Just simply not true. Per Pit numbers, any bite of a human is very rare. The reason you hear of them frequently, though, is to do with 1) their great numbers in existence, and 2) the tendency for their attacks to be quite effective and persistent. Other breeds, per their numbers, bite much more frequently, but don't tend to make the news due to minimal harm done, not to mention a large segment of folks like to read of Pitbull attacks, so they can post them at places like this, thus news agencies are eager to increase readership by reporting on them when they occur.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
That's nonsense to anyone who actually knows the breed.

You are FOS. You like the breed? Fine, that's your prerogative. But your irrational defense of them flies in the face of fact, and you know it, whether you want to admit it or not. I have personally known of too many cases where the cute, harmless, cuddly Pit Bull went into attack mode in a split second, with NO justification whatsoever.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The combination of molosser breeds, including pit bulls, rottweilers, presa canarios, cane corsos, mastiffs, dogo argentinos, fila brasieros, sharpeis, boxers, and their mixes, inflict:
86% of attacks that induce bodily harm
81% of attacks to children
89% of attack to adults
76% of attacks that result in fatalities
86% that result in maiming
Embody 9.2%+ of the total dog population

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
I have personally known of too many cases where the cute, harmless, cuddly Pit Bull went into attack mode in a split second, with NO justification whatsoever.
Calling BS.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 700LH
The combination of molosser breeds, including pit bulls, rottweilers, presa canarios, cane corsos, mastiffs, dogo argentinos, fila brasieros, sharpeis, boxers, and their mixes, inflict:
86% of attacks that induce bodily harm
81% of attacks to children
89% of attack to adults
76% of attacks that result in fatalities
86% that result in maiming
Embody 9.2%+ of the total dog population
Attacks worth being reported to an agency that keeps such records, you mean. Cocker Spaniel attacks never make that list. That's because the type of dogs to which you refer are gladiator breeds, i.e., bred for combat, and are thus effective at causing harm once they've determined that harm is desired.

Shall we eliminate the type? Write your US Congressman. They love to do that sort of thing, and are happy to take choices from people if they believe enough of the citizenry is willing to have said choices taken away.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 700LH
[Linked Image]
A pie chart comparing deaths from Clydesdales vs ponies would look similar. Perhaps we need to eliminate Clydesdales.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
I have personally known of too many cases where the cute, harmless, cuddly Pit Bull went into attack mode in a split second, with NO justification whatsoever.
Calling BS.

Do you do both Bill Medley's and Jennifer Warnes' parts when you dress up your pit as Babe, and go all Patrick Swayze?

(My apologies to Mr. Swayze.)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 222Sako, 63 invisible), 2,397 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,546
Posts18,491,649
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.