Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 25 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 24 25
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by raybass
High Noon go for the 35 Whelen, I still miss the one I had and one of these days will do a pre 64 Model 70 in the cartridge.

raybass: Thanks. Hopefully, I’ll be able to find the right .35W when the time comes.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Happy Independence Day to everyone!

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
If I was going to be facing Brown bears it would be with a .375 H&H or bigger.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Brown bear wise, my buddy has guided since I can't recall when now...

His backup was 338 win mag and it worked all the time. He now runs 416 Ruger.

Just shot a pretty big bear for himself this year, first one for him ever. Said he wished he'd brought the 416. Not sure what that meant as I have not had time to talk to him since then. He has been busy and just sent a few pictures and htat note.

He has said before, that for some reason the only rounds he has been impressed with are 458 and 460, IF the hunter can shoot, those have been impressive stop/droppers.

Though many rounds kill.

Nothing said here on this thread would change my mind from 35 whelen as its what you want. Its why I went 338-06. Its what I wanted.

If specifically after big bears, I am likely to carry a larger round. Always wanted a 416 Rem and a 458 Lott for whatever reasons.
That said if it was a hurry up trip, I"d grab something smaller that I already had and realize my limits and just keep going.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

45/70 lever for me

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
The animal will not know what it was killed with, even if it were shot with the lowly ol 30-06 and 200gr. partitions. wink

There I fixed it. Yes, I totally agree. I'll admit, after owning a 9.3x62mm and the 30-06 all these years I'm back to the 30-06 and sent the 9.3 down the road. There's not a whole hell of a lot the 30-06 CAN'T do with the right bullets.. wink ...Let's face it, how much more penetration and knock down power do you need than the 30-06 with a 200gr. partition? That's where I'm at in this whole debacle...

Originally Posted by Sitka deer
If only there were such a thing as "knock down power."

bsa & Sitka deer: While I agree with your statements, how does the arbitrary term ‘stopping power’ play into the equation? What I mean is how does the caliber and weight of the bullet affect ‘killing power’? I thought I understood how velocity, sectional density, cross sectional area and energy played a role in bringing down a tough animal, but your statements have me questioning what I thought I knew. I do understand how penetration and bullet construction play a role as well. So why then is the .375 H&H a minimum caliber for dangerous game in many African countries? Sure, dangerous game can effectively be stopped with smaller calibers and shot-placement is key, but what are the advantages (other than recoil, perhaps) of using a .30-06 over a .35W or 9.2x63 – or vice versa – for any reasonable comparison one could make?

In the case of defending against a brown bear charge, would not a larger and ‘more powerful’ load be desirable? I personally have never been in such a situation, but I would think that in such a case that the 9.3x62 w/ a well-constructed 286 gr. Pill would be more effective than a .30-06 w/ a cup & core 200 grained bullet, and perhaps a 430 grained JFN in .45-70 would be better still at stopping a charge. Putting aside any preconceived notions, favoritism or arbitrary terms such as ‘killing power,’ my thinking is that penetration, along with shot placement are the most important factors in turning a charge or putting down a tough and/or enraged dangerous game animal. Of course, there are other intangibles such as field reports that state a particular caliber performed far in excess of what its ballistics would have indicated – should such reports be taken into consideration or discarded? So in this case, is the .30-06 just as effective as a larger caliber and if so why or why not?

When guiding brown bears hunters my back-up rifle most of the time was a 300WM. Phil Shoemaker has plenty of pictures of very big bears he had to follow-up where he used a 30-06 to do it.

Back in the old days the 30-06 was considered the big stopper...

If not a cns shot all animals die the same way, a loss of blood big enough to drop blood pressure low enough to starve the brain and muscles of oxygen. An extra is breaking down running gear to make locating them easier.

Shock does not kill. The energy carried by the bullet was just handled comfortably at the shoulder and a lot was lost between the shoulder and the critter.

A bigger bullet means a bigger hole and a deeper hole means more tissue was disrupted and more blood is leaking. A leak on both sides means the blood pressure will drop faster. The exit wound is usually larger and the disrupted tissue points that way allowing more blood loss faster than the entrance.

All of this a drawn out explanation of why a single hole in the right place is critical. Taking the aorta off the top of the heart and leaving most of the rest of it alone will bleed an animal out in just seven heart beats. Destroying the heart muscle itself stops the positive side of the pump and the suction side. It strands a bunch of blood around the muscles leaving enough oxygen available for the critter to go amazing distances.

Simple answer is the bullet location is far more important... CNS shots are going to be pretty much same:same with any reasonable cartridge.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dre

45/70 lever for me

And what would you do if the bear you just hit at 40 yards was cresting the hill 250 yards away? Back-ups sometimes have to shoot a lot farther than ideal...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I was in a small gun shop in Fairbanks years ago and saw a box of Barnes Originals 35 caliber 275 grs. I grabbed them and am thinking if I ever get back up there to hunt Brown Bear that will be what I use. Maybe 52 grs of Varget? Just guessing.
Other than moose we don't have many big critters around here except a big black bear gets shot once in awhile by somebody. Fun reading about it though.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dre

45/70 lever for me

And what would you do if the bear you just hit at 40 yards was cresting the hill 250 yards away? Back-ups sometimes have to shoot a lot farther than ideal...

I'm building 35 W soon. But if I had to be in thick brush hunting bear and moose more than not 45/70 level will be just fine. I'm lookin at quick follow up shot if bear doesn't like the first one and decides to come at me.
If I have to shoot 250 yard with it, guess I'll have to aim 3' feet high

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dre
Originally Posted by Dre

45/70 lever for me

I'm building 35 W soon. But if I had to be in thick brush hunting bear and moose more than not 45/70 level will be just fine. I'm lookin at quick follow up shot if bear doesn't like the first one and decides to come at me.
If I have to shoot 250 yard with it, guess I'll have to aim 3' feet high

Picking a cartridge with severe limits in a reasonably likely scenario never made sense to me, but that is what makes the World go around I guess...

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the replies. For the most part, your replies confirmed my thoughts on the matter. My thinking is that if I were hunting anything up to and including brown bears, I could take the .35 Whelen/9.3x62 (whichever caliber I end up with) and have a rifle capable of taking any game I was after as well as one that would be adequate for defending against a brownie. (I differentiate between hunting and defending against brown bears as the latter is tougher). For non-hunting outdoor activities, I believe a .45-70 would be both a bit handier and have more than enough power (if that’s the right word) to take care of an encounter with a brownie.

Originally Posted by rost495
If specifically after big bears, I am likely to carry a larger round. Always wanted a 416 Rem and a 458 Lott for whatever reasons.

I’ve wanted a .416 Rigby for quite some time. From what I’ve read and seen (I watched several mixed bag safari’s where the .416 Rigby was used) and I was impressed with the round’s effectiveness.

Originally Posted by Dre

45/70 lever for me

Although I believe either would be effective, for non-hunting defense, the .45-70 would be my choice as well.

When guiding brown bears hunters my back-up rifle most of the time was a 300WM. Phil Shoemaker has plenty of pictures of very big bears he had to follow-up where he used a 30-06 to do it.

Back in the old days the 30-06 was considered the big stopper...

If not a cns shot all animals die the same way, a loss of blood big enough to drop blood pressure low enough to starve the brain and muscles of oxygen. An extra is breaking down running gear to make locating them easier.

Shock does not kill. The energy carried by the bullet was just handled comfortably at the shoulder and a lot was lost between the shoulder and the critter.

A bigger bullet means a bigger hole and a deeper hole means more tissue was disrupted and more blood is leaking. A leak on both sides means the blood pressure will drop faster. The exit wound is usually larger and the disrupted tissue points that way allowing more blood loss faster than the entrance.

All of this a drawn out explanation of why a single hole in the right place is critical. Taking the aorta off the top of the heart and leaving most of the rest of it alone will bleed an animal out in just seven heart beats. Destroying the heart muscle itself stops the positive side of the pump and the suction side. It strands a bunch of blood around the muscles leaving enough oxygen available for the critter to go amazing distances.

Simple answer is the bullet location is far more important... CNS shots are going to be pretty much same:same with any reasonable cartridge.

Sitka deer: Thanks for your well-reasoned explanation; which confirms my thoughts that shot placement coupled with penetration is all important.

- Del Gue
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rost495
Brown bear wise, my buddy has guided since I can't recall when now...

His backup was 338 win mag and it worked all the time. He now runs 416 Ruger.

Just shot a pretty big bear for himself this year, first one for him ever. Said he wished he'd brought the 416. Not sure what that meant as I have not had time to talk to him since then. He has been busy and just sent a few pictures and htat note.

He has said before, that for some reason the only rounds he has been impressed with are 458 and 460, IF the hunter can shoot, those have been impressive stop/droppers.

Though many rounds kill.

Nothing said here on this thread would change my mind from 35 whelen as its what you want. Its why I went 338-06. Its what I wanted.

That said if it was a hurry up trip, I"d grab something smaller that I already had and realize my limits and just keep going.

Hmmm. Like Sitka dumb fu ck said there's not such thing as knock down power. Why aren't you using a .223 Rem?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Has anyone considered a 7600 in 35 whelen? Cheap synthetic replacement stock, duracoat the steel parts($40) and you've got a fast repeater bear thumper!!

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
HN,have you thought about a .358 Norma Mag?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No such thing as stopping power in regards to shoulder fired hunting rifles. The only thing that matters is placing a good bullet in the vitals and doing sufficient damage to kill the animal. Stopping power is 99 1/2% shot placement provided one chooses a bullet that will penetrate deeply enough for the shot that is presented.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
So we have everything from .223 to .416 awesome!
That really narrows it down.
I saw a gold miner with a Trappers Model 94 in .454 Casull. That might work?
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Here's a .460 Wby.

[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Hmmm. Like Sitka dumb fu ck said there's not such thing as knock down power. Why aren't you using a .223 Rem?

bsa: I realize your question was rhetorical, but, while I have no doubt a .223 pill to the brain would instantly stop a charging brownie, the odds of making such a shot are very slim indeed. I read about a fellow who shot a large feral hog at 40’ with a .35 Whelen and he stated that it blew fragments and blood 30’ feet out the other side of the hog. Can the same be said of the .223?

I am not an expert, but I have done quite a bit of reading on this subject and I do have some understanding of physics. My understanding of ‘knockdown power’ is that it’s largely an arbitrary term. If we define knockdown power as the ability of a specific cartridge to cause enough ballistic trauma to immediately incapacitate, then we should review Newton’s Second Law of Motion (F=ma), which summarized, states that the speed and mass at which an object travels determine the energy it imparts. A heavier object traveling at the same speed as a lighter object will impart more energy, and if we think of this energy as kinetic energy, or ‘shock’ as Sitka deer defined it, we must realize that this transfer of energy, in and of itself, is not a sufficient or reliable killer. Kinetic energy may stun, but cannot be relied upon to kill, in most cases. I think the potential to do enough damage to immediately stop a threat requires more than just energy transfer. A true one-stop shot will rely more on a combination of shot placement, penetration, and kinetic energy transfer rather than how much energy alone a bullet can deliver to a target. So unless we’re dealing with a howitzer, I think the term knockdown power has little true meaning, in terms of hunting cartridges.

Originally Posted by mitchellmountain
Has anyone considered a 7600 in 35 whelen? Cheap synthetic replacement stock, duracoat the steel parts($40) and you've got a fast repeater bear thumper!!

mitchellmountain: I haven’t, but I can see the appeal.

HN,have you thought about a .358 Norma Mag?

Ken: Yes, I’ve definitely considered the .358NM. I read great things about this cartridge. The reasons I prefer the .35W and 9.3x62 is because they both have quite a bit less recoil and because I prefer a non-belted cartridge.

Originally Posted by 458 Lott
No such thing as stopping power in regards to shoulder fired hunting rifles. The only thing that matters is placing a good bullet in the vitals and doing sufficient damage to kill the animal. Stopping power is 99 1/2% shot placement provided one chooses a bullet that will penetrate deeply enough for the shot that is presented.

458: I wrote my reply (above) before I read your post. It sounds like we are on the same page.

Last edited by High_Noon; 07/04/16.

- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Here's a .460 Wby.

Ken: I'm rather surprised that jack rabbit wasn't turned into a red mist, but then if you were using a stout pill, it probably passed right through without any deformation at all. Very nice rifle, by the way.

Last edited by High_Noon; 07/04/16.

- Del Gue
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
The .460 is loaded down to where it won't pound my trigger finger to a pulp.

Never understood the aversion to a piece of brass. If you want to shoot a .358 NM let me know.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Page 15 of 25 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 24 25

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

201 members (260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 204guy, 2500HD, 34 invisible), 2,140 guests, and 1,029 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,614
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.