-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Decided to try to get back into archery hunting after a pretty long layoff, I was reading up on some of the new stuff and read the comment by JJ Hack about hunting bears with hounds and how a whole lotta hunters missed a whole bunch of times. I am familiar with some of the issues shooting from an elevated stand at the ground, But not with the issues shooting up. Hopefully we will be doing a bear hunt with dogs a little later this fall and would like to figure it out before hand. Anybody have any advice? JJ? Unfortunately sticking a target up in a tree isn't really practical in the backyard at the moment but will have to try it next time we head out of town.

GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I've shot lots of grouse out of trees while elk hunting. Put the 20 yard pin on their feet and it hits them in the head. Practice using rubber blunt tips the same weight as your broadheads to figure out your hold, shoot at knots or where branches meet the trunk for practice.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I was guiding with my hounds for bears and lions, I did have lots of hunters miss the shots, or make extremely poor hits.

I would say that the majority of those problems come from the arching trajectory of the arrow with the amount of Branches involved. Bear and cougar do not sit out on the limbs, they are snug up against the trunk. I more cases then not the bear was in the tree and it might take 10 minutes to find him up there. We resorted to throwing rocks and sticks into the trees to get them to move around.

It takes very little to deflect an arrow off the intended path. Of course you can combine the vertical shots versus horizontal shots as well for the issues that change your normal practice shots to shooting at steep angles.

In most cases within 10-15, or even 20 yards it's not much problem. But often the shooter would have to get back far from the tree to see the bear against the trunk . Often the clear view of the bear was possible at 40-50 yards, but closer put you under the branches of the tree he is in or the trees next to it. If you're 30 yards away from the tree and shooting steeply up into the tree at 60-90 feet high that's a challenge that took all the arrows out of the quiver more then a few times for my hunters!

My Leica Range finder has angle compensation. I have fooled with it plenty and see that this situation could be 5 yards off of plain range finders depending upon the angle and the distance. Add to this a slight deflection and I suppose that is why I have seen bears shot in the hind quarters, stomach, or the front leg etc more then a few times. Frequently a bear sits on a big branch so he is in an upright position as well. Not standing on all fours as almost all hunters would be mentally prepared for. This now makes judging the impact point confusing which adds to the other challenging elements I have already mentioned.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Uphill/downhill should be the same.
Problem is people corrupt form.
And sighting systems farther from the eye make threading the needle tougher.

Form deal..........fingers shooters more prone to issue by changing string pressure by not bending at the waist.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by JJHACK
When I was guiding with my hounds for bears and lions, I did have lots of hunters miss the shots, or make extremely poor hits.

I would say that the majority of those problems come from the arching trajectory of the arrow with the amount of Branches involved. Bear and cougar do not sit out on the limbs, they are snug up against the trunk. I more cases then not the bear was in the tree and it might take 10 minutes to find him up there. We resorted to throwing rocks and sticks into the trees to get them to move around.

It takes very little to deflect an arrow off the intended path. Of course you can combine the vertical shots versus horizontal shots as well for the issues that change your normal practice shots to shooting at steep angles.

In most cases within 10-15, or even 20 yards it's not much problem. But often the shooter would have to get back far from the tree to see the bear against the trunk . Often the clear view of the bear was possible at 40-50 yards, but closer put you under the branches of the tree he is in or the trees next to it. If you're 30 yards away from the tree and shooting steeply up into the tree at 60-90 feet high that's a challenge that took all the arrows out of the quiver more then a few times for my hunters!

My Leica Range finder has angle compensation. I have fooled with it plenty and see that this situation could be 5 yards off of plain range finders depending upon the angle and the distance. Add to this a slight deflection and I suppose that is why I have seen bears shot in the hind quarters, stomach, or the front leg etc more then a few times. Frequently a bear sits on a big branch so he is in an upright position as well. Not standing on all fours as almost all hunters would be mentally prepared for. This now makes judging the impact point confusing which adds to the other challenging elements I have already mentioned.

I never thought of all the limb issues. That could embarrass a person like me who just generally won't even think of shooting past 15 yards or so. Get there and the guide says the only angle is 40 and I say, pass..

interesting read.

RE grouse in trees, we shot a lot of them too. Used my normal pin for up close, and all was fine. Aiming at feet would have given me a foot shot, but then everyone has to know how it works for only them, thats all that matters.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Makes a lot of sense. Amazing how many thing are so much different in real life compared to how we imagine them. Next time we head out I will have to grab some of those flu flu arrows and do some shooting. Good idea on the blunts too.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Uphill/downhill..........should just shoot the horizontal component of triangle.

Agree, test and see what you end up having to do.

But if it doesn't work like it should, proly ought to work on why and not just live with the offset.

Will admit, after yesterday's Jeep dash removal work......my spine is hosed. If I had to make a steep shot I might not hit where I should.

Getting old kinda sucks.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hookeye
Uphill/downhill should be the same.

Right.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I think this less of a problem than it used to be, since most folks now use a release and bows are faster.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Fingers, back in the 80s.........bowhunting squirrels was an eye opener LOL.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

122 members (44mc, 375TN, 7887mm08, 35, 21, 358wsm, 16 invisible), 1,540 guests, and 963 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,951
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.