Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Well....Thanks for that Mr. Timm. I was in a position to buy an NULA 4 years ago, and life being what it is it fell out of that position promptly. Used what I had left to get greydog to build a bug hole shooting .350RM to satisfy the last build desire of a friend that was losing to the big C. That gun shoots unreal so no regrets, and I carried it on my last hunt with that friend.

That said, I surely hope to be able to squeeze out the coin to do a NULA one of these days and I honestly want it to be a .284Win like many before, but the 30-06 sure is hard to beat when thinking about a 6lb everything chaser. Hearing your story adds to that!

Mr. Forbes thought process and design was very unique and truly flies in the face of what people think should go into a light build today. Even mentioning a full length bed in any circle garners looks as if you said you like curry in your coffee.

I am looking forward to whatever maelstrom the 24 brings next......

AF
Let your work be shown to your servants, and your glorious power to their children.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

If I was going to have Melvin build me a big game rifle today, I'd probably opt for the .25-'06 with a twenty-four inch barrel. I've killed several pickup loads of prairie goats and big-eared deer and even a half-dozen elk with the big .25. Always found it to be superb.

I simply love the flat trajectory and lack of recoil of the .25-'06 with 100-grain bullets. It just plain works.

Johnny Buffalo's .257 Roy is even more of a GREAT thing and may be even better than Mr. Neidner's wildcat.

Blessings,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by dogzapper

Before the hunt was over, I bought that very rifle from Melvin. Killed a sh1tload of elk with that .30-'06 and it was my one of my prime hunting tools for over a decade a decade. I never missed with the ULA and never shot twice on either elk or deer. Hell of a rifle.

A 24HCF member owns that fantastic ULA rifle now ... great guy from down Roseberg/Grant's Pass way.

True story.

God Bless,

Steve

Steve, just a quick question. That rifle that was your prime hunting tool for over a decade, is this one right?

Steve's 30/06

Rifle Number One:

Ultra Light Arms Model 24 - .30-'06. I bought this rifle from Mel Forbes, the owner of ULA, after a successful writer's caribou hunting trip to Quebec in 1989. I was really impressed with Mel's rifles and just couldn't resist. The serial number is 89-1XX.

The ULA has been shot less than 100 rounds and has basically taken up space in back of my gun safe since 1990 or so, just gathering dust. It's time someone hunts with it.

Steve Timm

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
[Linked Image]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

If I was going to have Melvin build me a big game rifle today, I'd probably opt for the .25-'06 with a twenty-four inch barrel. I've killed several pickup loads of prairie goats and big-eared deer and even a half-dozen elk with the big .25. Always found it to be superb.

I simply love the flat trajectory and lack of recoil of the .25-'06 with 100-grain bullets. It just plain works.

Johnny Buffalo's .257 Roy is even more of a GREAT thing and may be even better than Mr. Neidner's wildcat.

Blessings,

Steve

Agreed. A 25-06 would be great in a NULA. I had one in .30-06 and it was too much of a good thing for me. I had a .340 in a Fibermark at the same time and found the recoil to be similar between the two.

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Before the hunt was over, I bought that very rifle from Melvin. Killed a sh1tload of elk with that .30-'06 and it was my one of my prime hunting tools for over a decade a decade. I never missed with the ULA and never shot twice on either elk or deer. Hell of a rifle.

A 24HCF member owns that fantastic ULA rifle now ... great guy from down Roseberg/Grant's Pass way.

True story.

God Bless,

Steve

Steve, just a quick question. That rifle that was your prime hunting tool for over a decade, is this one right?

Steve's 30/06

Rifle Number One:

Ultra Light Arms Model 24 - .30-'06. I bought this rifle from Mel Forbes, the owner of ULA, after a successful writer's caribou hunting trip to Quebec in 1989. I was really impressed with Mel's rifles and just couldn't resist. The serial number is 89-1XX.

The ULA has been shot less than 100 rounds and has basically taken up space in back of my gun safe since 1990 or so, just gathering dust. It's time someone hunts with it.

Steve Timm

25 Elk would be a lot of Elk in a decade.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

Just to mellow things down:

A Melvin Story

I forget what year it was, but in the mid-1980s, I got an invite to a gunwriter's hunt in Quebec. The George River caribou herd was at an all-time high and the prospects were excellent.

So I went.

One guy I going in was Melvin Forbes and though I'd visited him at the SHOT, I'd never hunted with him. Anyway, we got along well and had a lot of fun together.

Before the hunt was over, I bought that very rifle from him. Killed a sh1tload of elk with that .30-'06 and it was my one of my prime hunting tools for over a decade a decade. I never missed with the ULA and never shot twice on either elk or deer. Hell of a rifle.

True story.

God Bless,

Steve

Gee, look at that. You edit your thread after I called you out and it doesn't even show as being edited.

Last edited by Steelhead; 07/08/16.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
And crickets

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

"Call Out?" Have fun with that.

I guess it never occurred to some that I've owned a fair number of ULAs. Several .30-'06s, two .284s, a .308 (or possibly two), a .338-.284 and a .243. And maybe a few more that I've forgotten.

Quite possibly rifles I owned twenty and thirty years ago have grown foggy in my mind.

And if that makes folks here unhappy ... so be it. Minutiae is not something I fixate on, especially this late in my life.

Anyway, have fun with that and make of it as you will.

Bye,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What a great read just when I thought my Monday night was going to be boring..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B3

Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 62 invisible), 2,164 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,668
Posts18,493,711
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.