Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Trying to decide between a Ruger AR-556 and an Armalite Eagle AR-15. The Armalite is $100 less. Any important differences I should be aware of? (Leaning toward the Ruger, if in fact I buy.)

Thanks.
Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Ruger has some non standard parts. I'd go with the Eagle.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Have a ruger. No issues except heavy trigger. Took 1 click of the front sight to sight in out of the box.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kwg020

kwg

What non-standard parts does the AR 556 have?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The Eagle is supposed to be an "entry level" AR-15. What deficiencies will it have that can't be up-graded over time?

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I'd go with the Ruger if for nothing else but the better quality barrel.

As to "non-standard" parts, I guess he's referring to commercial vs. Mil-spec buffer tube assembly. Not a big deal at all IMHO.

As to the trigger issue, most have less-than-perfect triggers out of the box. That's why Geissele has so much of my money... blush

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Eagle. If you are on a budget, upgrade standard parts like the hand guard, trigger and stock later.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, guys. Keep the thoughts coming.

Steve.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The Ruger is a very well made AR. Milled front sight and gas block, PMag 30 rd magazine and 6 position stock. Like the man said, buy a Geissele trigger and your good to go with no other replacement parts needed.

Last edited by ChuckKY; 07/06/16.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
I'd go with the Ruger if for nothing else but the better quality barrel.

As to "non-standard" parts, I guess he's referring to commercial vs. Mil-spec buffer tube assembly. Not a big deal at all IMHO.

As to the trigger issue, most have less-than-perfect triggers out of the box. That's why Geissele has so much of my money... blush

Ed
Having the Ruger, I'd support Ed's recommendation...

I've been pleased with mine..

Acquired mine via Whitakers, ShortAction Shooter...

ya couldn't deal with finer people...

and always a great price... super turnaround...

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Another vote for the Ruger.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
With the Ruger having a windage adjustable rear sight out of the box, it was my choice.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
21 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You won't go wrong with the Ruger. My only upgrade was a Magpul stock and fore arm----no heat shield in the fore arm and it gets hot quick. Probably a common issue with guns at this price point.

"Never force anything, just get a bigger hammer".
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I do like Armalite. Good barrels and bolts have lead to a very reliable AR-15.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by THOMASMAGNUM
Originally Posted by kwg020

kwg

What non-standard parts does the AR 556 have?

The big one that is giving folks some issues is the plastic hand guard ring at the rear of the barrel. If you don't turn it just the right way, it breaks or gets stuck. The other is the front sight. Not a huge issue and it's my understanding it has a commercial butt stock.

The last issue is the price. It's meant to be an entry level rifle sold for around $500. Demand has driven the price to closer to $600 or more. I just don't think the rifle is worth the $600 price tag with non Milspec parts. Demand or no demand. Ruger or no Ruger.

I'm sure there is some issues with the Eagle I would not like as well. Since it's an entry level gun I'm sure there were short cuts but:

The question by the OP was "Ruger or Eagle" I would buy the Eagle and not the Ruger and that's the reasons why.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I've handled both and sold both through my buddy's shop. If I were spending my dimes on one or the other, I'd buy the Armalite.

I do like the Ruger better than the Smith and Wesson Sport, though.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks KWG, I knew about the commercial buffer tube, but I don't see that as a huge issue since you can get just everything for a commercial or mil-spec tube. I did NOT know about the handguard ring. That would be something I'd want to swap quickly.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was told the S&W was the best buy now days, for a solid entry level AR.

What says the fire?

Thanks guys!

Virgil B.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange
I was told the S&W was the best buy now days, for a solid entry level AR. What says the fire? Thanks guys! Virgil B.

Two of my students have shown up with the S&W M&P and I have to say, I like them better than the Ruger or the Armalite.

Great entry-level guns!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I wanted a Coyote rifle.
The Ruger is perfect except for the heavy trigger.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (06hunter59, 1badf350, 204guy, 1Longbow, 1OntarioJim, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,364 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,307
Posts18,487,152
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.