Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 21 22
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DINK
Originally Posted by GunGeek
I just find it strange how I never encounter all these bad 1911's. Now perhaps it's because I don't shoot 2,000 rounds per day for 5-10 days straight or something. But with normal numbers put through my guns, I have had ZERO problems. I only have two 1911's at current, one for 13 years, and one for 5 years now. Both get shot on a regular basis, and I haven't cleared a single malfunction out of either pistol. And all my friends who I go shooting with that have 1911's, none of them are having any problems.

There are a lot of great pistols out there, many better than the 1911, but the 1911 is typically a good pistol when built right.

All the Rugers I have played with have been very well made, and every one of them have worked.

Didn't you have one blow a extractor?

Dink
BLOW an extractor? That's rather dramatic...

I broke a firing pin. It was a Wilson Bulletproof firing pin, the best money can buy, and it happened after about 4k rounds, which is all but unheard of with a Wilson Bulletproof...clearly there was a metallurgical flaw in the part; that can happen to any gun.

It was the only failure to fire in 11 years and 11k rounds...the only one. That was about 1.5 years ago, the pistol has had just shy of 2k more rounds since that happened. No jams, no failures of any kind...that's pretty good, wouldn't you say?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Nope. In tour own words, " total POS... Never amounted to nothing!!!"...grin

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I am starting to think the 1911 guys that shoot just put up with them jamming and the rest of the 1911 guys don't shoot.

Guys make excuses for them magazine springs, ammo not right, bad grip, etc. you never hear glock, sig(non 1911) or HK owner say stuff like that.

I have had some good 1911s but they all are just waiting to let you down. I may try a sig 1911 and try one more time.

Dink
So did I catch that your 1911 is a Ruger? Send it to them and give them the opportunity to make it right.

Honestly, I can't for the life of me figure out why you have a 1911. I've never seen you say a positive thing about them since you signed up here. I can't count how many times you've made the statement about people making excuses...

It's a pistol, if it doesn't work, fix it or chit can it! Why would you make excuses for a gun that doesn't work? If your Glock didn't work what would you do? Bitchh about it on a forum, or get it running? Ruger will make it right.

BTW, I don't see people making excuses. Some are offering advise as to why it's not working...no one is saying it's okay to have a gun that doesn't Work.

Given your past I suspect the only reason you have a 1911 is so you can bitchh about them on forums... Seems to be the only song you know. Really what kind of a guy spends several years complaining about 1911s on an Internet forum, and then goes out and buys a 1911? To hear you talk about it, it's the worst pistol ever created since the dawn of time. And you bought one???? Yeah, THAT was a smart move!!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Hey, dangit. A Sig 1911 will change alla that. Maybe. Heck, it's worth a try ain't it?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Hey, dangit. A Sig 1911 will change alla that. Maybe. Heck, it's worth a try ain't it?

My Colt and S&W are stock except for cosmetic changes, and both work perfectly.

FWIW, I'm convinced Sig and S&W's sub-contractors are the same for internal parts.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
You people need help.

Dave

Pffftttt....This is nothing, you should see the guys with 2011s. I've been dremeling my $90 mags, reworking the overall dimensions in a bench vise, so that I can polish them in a tumblr and then make sure the feed lips are still in spec and tweak them if not.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
I just find it strange how I never encounter all these bad 1911's. Now perhaps it's because I don't shoot 2,000 rounds per day for 5-10 days straight or something. But with normal numbers put through my guns, I have had ZERO problems. I only have two 1911's at current, one for 13 years, and one for 5 years now. Both get shot on a regular basis, and I haven't cleared a single malfunction out of either pistol. And all my friends who I go shooting with that have 1911's, none of them are having any problems.

There are a lot of great pistols out there, many better than the 1911, but the 1911 is typically a good pistol when built right.

All the Rugers I have played with have been very well made, and every one of them have worked.

Didn't you have one blow a extractor?

Dink
BLOW an extractor? That's rather dramatic...

I broke a firing pin. It was a Wilson Bulletproof firing pin, the best money can buy, and it happened after about 4k rounds, which is all but unheard of with a Wilson Bulletproof...clearly there was a metallurgical flaw in the part; that can happen to any gun.

It was the only failure to fire in 11 years and 11k rounds...the only one. That was about 1.5 years ago, the pistol has had just shy of 2k more rounds since that happened. No jams, no failures of any kind...that's pretty good, wouldn't you say?

So your zero problems really are not zero. Funny about that selective memory.

I think I would remember a gun being in operable as a problem.

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
I am starting to think the 1911 guys that shoot just put up with them jamming and the rest of the 1911 guys don't shoot.

Guys make excuses for them magazine springs, ammo not right, bad grip, etc. you never hear glock, sig(non 1911) or HK owner say stuff like that.

I have had some good 1911s but they all are just waiting to let you down. I may try a sig 1911 and try one more time.

Dink
So did I catch that your 1911 is a Ruger? Send it to them and give them the opportunity to make it right.

Honestly, I can't for the life of me figure out why you have a 1911. I've never seen you say a positive thing about them since you signed up here. I can't count how many times you've made the statement about people making excuses...

It's a pistol, if it doesn't work, fix it or chit can it! Why would you make excuses for a gun that doesn't work? If your Glock didn't work what would you do? Bitchh about it on a forum, or get it running? Ruger will make it right.

BTW, I don't see people making excuses. Some are offering advise as to why it's not working...no one is saying it's okay to have a gun that doesn't Work.

Given your past I suspect the only reason you have a 1911 is so you can bitchh about them on forums... Seems to be the only song you know. Really what kind of a guy spends several years complaining about 1911s on an Internet forum, and then goes out and buys a 1911? To hear you talk about it, it's the worst pistol ever created since the dawn of time. And you bought one???? Yeah, THAT was a smart move!!

Not that it's any of your business but the gun was a gift from my wife. I had been out of 1911 business along time when she bought me one.

I carry a gun everyday. A nine shot light weight commander is a appealing gun to carry in my opinion.

I read that guys own them and that they work but I am starting to believe that's simply not true. Guys post they work and zero problems with them but forget about things like broken firing pins...cause that kind of stuff is not really a big deal..

Dink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

They will probably ask him why he doesn't use the mags they sent with it. confused

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've owned 2 1911's. The first was a Springfield Milspec. It was ammo sensitive but hey it was a Milspec. Put ammo in it that it liked and good magazines and it would run without any troubles. I kept that one for about 20 years, shot thousands of rounds out of it and it was running fine when sold. The second is a Sig Sauer 1911 Max Michael. After selling the Springfield I really missed not having a 1911 in the collection and bought the Sig about 4 months ago. This one hasn't hit the 1000 round mark yet but as of today has been 100% reliable and has digested everything I've feed it.

I guess I've just been lucky.

IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by FreeMe

They will probably ask him why he doesn't use the mags they sent with it. confused

I do use the magazines that come with it on the range. The Wilson 47 and 47D are the gold standard in 1911 magazines.

Wilsons, chip McCormick, etc are supposed to be the finest 1911 mags made.

Dink

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I do use the magazines that come with it on the range. The Wilson 47 and 47D are the gold standard in 1911 magazines.

Dink

Agreed. What ammo? I tend to stay away from truncated cone ammo in a 1911.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by BobWills
Originally Posted by Redneck

That said, I own a few 1911s and like them. But they're not for people who know zip about handguns..

You can get flamed around here for telling the truth like that RN. grin

And I usually do.. laugh

Originally Posted by Boogaloo
What is a 1911?

Not all 1911s were created equal.

Not all 1911 mags are the same.

Not all ammo is the same.
Man, you got all THAT right...

Just because it's a 1911-style handgun does NOT mean that the individual manufacturer took the time and effort to ensure they're "right" when they leave the factory..

Most do not, especially some of the earlier models.. I think today they're overall quite a bit better - what with the newer metal technology and high-end CNC machines for the manufacture.

Ammo's better too. But those above who recommend finding the ammo that particular handgun likes are SPOT ON... And 1911s are mostly picky in that regard..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
So your zero problems really are not zero. Funny about that selective memory.

I think I would remember a gun being in operable as a problem.
EVERY gun is susceptible to parts breakage regardless of the design or manufacturer. So outside that, my gun has given me no problems in 11k rounds.

But you seem more interested in proving a point than addressing your gun that doesn't work.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
... Guys post they work and zero problems with them but forget about things like broken firing pins...cause that kind of stuff is not really a big deal..

Dink
So when you make a statement like that, even after I've explained the circumstance, then it becomes painfully obvious that you just really don't know chit about handguns. Parts break, regardless of design or materials; it just happens. It even happens to Glocks.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Not that it's any of your business but the gun was a gift from my wife. I had been out of 1911 business along time when she bought me one.
Sell the 1911 to pay for marriage counseling. Cause if she doesn't know by now how much you hate 1911's and 1911 owners; then your marriage has some issues.

And you're right, all the 1911's that you hear about that work...it's all a big conspiracy. We've all made the colossal mistake of buying a 1911 and we're just trying to sucker in the next guy so were not alone with our broken/don't work 1911's.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Kevin I enjoy your conversations but I cannot recollect you posting a picture of your guns or targets. If you want a nice gun get a 1911, if you want a tool that statistically has a better track record of working all the time get a glock.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Dink
Police Departments all across the country DON'T issue 1911's. The 1911 has never been widely issued even before the proliferation of other designs. An exception is departments issuing them to SWAT or other special units within them.

IMO the best thing to do would be to trade the Ruger on something you want. I haven't heard of many issues with the Ruger 1911's but Ruger itself is notorious for recalls. I've still got a few Rugers, but for the most part I avoid them anymore.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Dink

They certainly are priced like gold. But if they don't work in your gun, that doesn't mean much - does it?

Do the Ruger mags work, or not? Mine have been flawless (I'm lying). So have the Checkmate mags I already had - which were flawless in my lowly RIA (bull). Oh - and the Colt factory mag (no way). The Novak/ACT mags - not so much. [/sarcasm] Can't see buying "the gold standard" when other lesser priced but high quality mags that more resemble the original design work just fine.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sell the 1911 to pay for marriage counseling. Cause if she doesn't know by now how much you hate 1911's and 1911 owners; then your marriage has some issues.

And you're right, all the 1911's that you hear about that work...it's all a big conspiracy. We've all made the colossal mistake of buying a 1911 and we're just trying to sucker in the next guy so were not alone with our broken/don't work 1911's.

Yeah - we really need more "junk" 1911's on the used market. Maybe for the price of a nice steak dinner for you and the wife, I can get that SR1911 and use it for parts when mine breaks. Whaddyasay?

Page 3 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 1234, 10ring1, 61 invisible), 2,249 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,261
Posts18,486,455
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.