Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Running some LGS traps yesterday and came across a new production Model 37 small frame 20 guage, that appears to have a "Lady's Model" stock with the straighter comb, chambered in 3" with Briley tubes and in perfect probably unfired condition.

Any "Gun Writers" have any comments or experiences as to the quality mfg'ing or any other issues on the repro of this classic shotgun from Freedom Group I'm about to fall in love with???
Ron

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Not a gunwriter, but an Ithaca fan.

I don't think they'd be too happy calling their 37 a "reproduction", rather current Ithaca production.

From what I've learned, Ohio Ithaca shotguns are about the best ever, especially compared to some of the guns made by the series of owners up to current. Maybe original Lou Smith guns would give these a run. I have a pre-war first yr. production 20 ga. 37R with solid rib. It's pretty nice.

Check out their latest, a M-700 clone rifle.

http://www.ithacagun.com/

DF

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
DF is spot on. Ithaca gun company was reborn a few years back.

Have one in 28ga and have used it a good amount on Grouse. Definitely not a repo, but current Ithaca production and as well made and to exact specs of the original.

http://ithacagun.com/

(Corrected: 28ga)

Last edited by battue; 07/10/16.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
No wonder it felt good to me. I've had several of the guns that came out of the NY plant from about '69 forward.

The SWest Ithaca Rep called on me in the mid '70's, and eventually came to work for the Dist I worked for, and we were the last 2 outside people out the door when it folded in '82.... and been a good friend, hunting partner and road buddy ever since. I took the pics of his last wedding about 20+ years ago now.

The last 37 I owned was a UL20 that I ordered thru him, as one of his last factory samples and it was a tossup 'tween the UL and a steel small frame model. The UL went away with all the bird dogs unfortunately.

OK this is gonna be fun sneaking another shooter in the house...but I'm not using the Benelli Supernova 12guage...and probably won't given the condition of my shoulder now. It'll blow his mind when he sees it I'm sure.

Thanx guys for the insight.
Ron

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought an original 12ga 37 from a guy in Arkansas a while back. He told me that he'd had a custom 28ga built by the new guys in Sandusky, and after a couple small things were fixed, it became his favorite for quail.

They had a few issues early on, but unlike some I could name, they stepped up, fixed them, and got their act together. If I were looking for a pump, and especially a slug gun, Ithaca would be the only place I'd look. They're not cheap, but are finely made and last I heard, they will make them the way you want with regard to stock and barrel options.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
In addition, the new Ithaca is true to to the old. Not that it's all that important, but you don't have to release the trigger to fire the next shell. Hold the trigger and pump and the next one will fire. Some of the old school pump gun experts could take advantage of it. Most of us cant.

The old Model 12's had the same feature.

Last edited by battue; 07/10/16.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yup, all 3 of my Ithaca's from the late '60's thru the mid '70's would "trombone" as my former Ithaca Rep and later fellow employee called it.

I saw him demonstrate the technique one time before he came over to our shop to one of my customers, an east Texas Sheriff's deputy, and the wide eyed grin spread across the customers face.

Lots of fun could be had chasin' bunnies in abandoned RR Right of Way thickets that we hunted every winter...when the Cowboy's post season games were not much fun to watch.

I may have to try and buy back the last 12ga I had & sold to another friend & hunting partner, a 26" I bought to use in a Duck Blind, a late late model Deluxe VR 3" that I had had after market screw in chokes installed on...that might even be an early Briley effort come to think of it. That gun had the butt shortened for a 12 year old ( now 45) and avoided buying it back years ago because of it, just wonder if I could find a factory stock for it.
Ron

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Ithaca in Ohio can sell you a stock. They also can restore one that has seen better days to as like new.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have recently acquired one of the Ohio-made 37s in 12 gauge. It is a much nicer gun gun than the majority of what came out of NY in my opinion. I particularly like the slim fore-end. Some of the early models had the same style, but later they became too long and too bulbous for my liking. If it fits you, you will love it.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks like Ithaca is making some very nice stuff now. That's good to hear.

Interesting how they kept the same engraving that is on my old 37 I have sitting here.

I have always liked bottom eject guns for bird hunting. While my home defense gun is an 870, and my dedicated turkey gun a camo 1300, the 2 guns I like best for pheasant or ducks are my BPS and my 37. Both are engraved models and function better than they look.

If I were in market for a new pump gun, I would give the new Ithaca serious consideration.........

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Pre-war 1st yr. 37R 20 ga. Metal is original, wood restored.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice gun DF.... cool smile

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The factory is located in Upper Sandusky Ohio, not
Sandusky. A big difference. I have toured the plant.
Numerical controlled machinery, they know what they
are doing. Their computer will even engrave a face on the receiver if you wish.
Speaking of stockes they have a large quantity of
the finest wood I have ever seen.
Nice people.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
GTK guys on the stock replacement...now lets see if I can talk my way into the gun I sold a buddy years ago for his then 12 year old kid. At 75+ my buddy has quit hunting deer altogether, and prolly has not shot this gun in mega years as the kid is now pushing 46...how time flies.
Ron

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Being the owner/shooter of a bazillion SxS's and O/U's down through the years, I have owned but one pump- a M37. It will always stay in my collection. 'Nuff said.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I always really liked the 37 but never owned one.

Now I have more shotguns than I use, so don't need another. Still they are 'eye candy'.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I've been wanting an Ohio 28 ga. M-37 for some time; I may get one ordered this week, 28" barrel. It's half down and the rest when they get it built, probably in several weeks.

I got them to send me a photo of their English, straight grip, thinking the std. grip was a bit much. I didn't like the looks of the English grip; people say the std. grip is comfortable and works well. So, that's what I'll order.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by PaleRider
Nice gun DF.... cool smile

Thanks, PR.

Notice the more matte looking blue on the solid rib barrel vs. polished blue on the other parts. Reportedly these barrels were rust blued, the old, slow way.

I don't expect that on the Ohio 37, although they're really nice guns.

DF

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Sweet!

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Ordered the Ohio 37, 28 ga./28", std. wood.

Will report.

DF

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

489 members (260Remguy, 1_deuce, 260madman, 280shooter, 1minute, 160user, 54 invisible), 2,529 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,856
Posts18,478,531
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.