Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 21 22
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Haha, The 1911 drama continues, got to love it. Geez.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
You people need help.

Dave

Nope, at least as far as 1911's go...........mine are just fine.

Likely the complainers are the ones that need help; which category are you in?

MM

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I still have my Kimber Covert, have had 5 or 6.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

MM

I'm in a category of its own.

But getting back to what you said earlier, why should some people not own 1911's?

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
'cause they'll tire of Glocks quickly after a 1911, and someone needs to buy Glocks grin

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
You people need help.

Dave

Pffftttt....This is nothing, you should see the guys with 2011s. I've been dremeling my $90 mags, reworking the overall dimensions in a bench vise, so that I can polish them in a tumblr and then make sure the feed lips are still in spec and tweak them if not.

race cars gotta be wrenched grin

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

MM

I'm in a category of its own.

But getting back to what you said earlier, why should some people not own 1911's?

Dave

I'm not sure your attention span is long enough for the reply or that you really want to hear it either, much less have any appreciation for the content.

Not looking for an argument or a discussion, just stating a fact(s).

MM

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Ok.

How did you determine some people shouldn't own 1911's?

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by DINK
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by GunGeek
I just find it strange how I never encounter all these bad 1911's. Now perhaps it's because I don't shoot 2,000 rounds per day for 5-10 days straight or something. But with normal numbers put through my guns, I have had ZERO problems. I only have two 1911's at current, one for 13 years, and one for 5 years now. Both get shot on a regular basis, and I haven't cleared a single malfunction out of either pistol. And all my friends who I go shooting with that have 1911's, none of them are having any problems.

There are a lot of great pistols out there, many better than the 1911, but the 1911 is typically a good pistol when built right.

All the Rugers I have played with have been very well made, and every one of them have worked.
Of the dozen or so that I've owned, I've had problems with four. The Springfield Loaded model I bought early on in that run was useless out of the box. Springfield fixed it up, though, and threw in an action tune job. After that, it went thousands of rounds without a failure ... not one. The other two were Kimbers ... my only two Kimbers. Both were lemons. Both were also shorties, so that might be why.

Then there was the used Colt Officers ACP I bought in the 1980s. Worthless. Could be it just needed some spring and magazine switches, but I just sold it at a gun show. Whoever got it probably just did some spring and mag switches and resolved the problem, but I don't know. So that's four out of the dozen or so I've had. The remainder were, and have been, completely reliable to my experience.

Didn't you have a Brown that wouldn't run?

Dink
Yep, so that makes five. After I fitted and installed a new extractor, it ran 100%. I don't think I'm forgetting any others, but I've been carrying and shooting lots of handguns since 1980, so it's possible.

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
So your zero problems really are not zero. Funny about that selective memory.

I think I would remember a gun being in operable as a problem.
EVERY gun is susceptible to parts breakage regardless of the design or manufacturer. So outside that, my gun has given me no problems in 11k rounds.

But you seem more interested in proving a point than addressing your gun that doesn't work.

No problems before ..hmmm....why was that Wilson firing pin in the gun to began with?

Dink

Last edited by DINK; 07/12/16.
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I am starting to think the 1911 guys that shoot just put up with them jamming and the rest of the 1911 guys don't shoot.

Guys make excuses for them magazine springs, ammo not right, bad grip, etc. you never hear glock, sig(non 1911) or HK owner say stuff like that.

I have had some good 1911s but they all are just waiting to let you down. I may try a sig 1911 and try one more time.

Dink
Again, Dink, the Sig and the Glock are all in-house production guns, made by the same company from top to bottom. The 1911 isn't the same kind of animal at all. It's a design, not a product. You can only compare individual specimens with the likes of a Glock or a Sig. There's no such thing as a 1911, per se. There are guns made according to the 1911 design to one extent or another, and by different makers, the parts of which are usually made by still other companies.

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by TC1
Originally Posted by FreeMe
So did I catch that your 1911 is a Ruger? Send it to them and give them the opportunity to make it right.

They will probably ask him why he doesn't use the mags they sent with it. confused

I do use the magazines that come with it on the range. The Wilson 47 and 47D are the gold standard in 1911 magazines.

Wilsons, chip McCormick, etc are supposed to be the finest 1911 mags made.

Dink

Agreed. What ammo? I tend to stay away from truncated cone ammo in a 1911.

Federal case, 6.1 grains of unique, federal large pistol primer with a zero 230 grain FMJ. Checked with a Dillion chamber gage also.

Dink

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Again, Dink, the Sig and the Glock are all in-house production guns, made by the same company from top to bottom. The 1911 isn't the same kind of animal at all. It's a design, not a product. You can only compare individual specimens with the likes of a Glock or a Sig. There's no such thing as a 1911, per se. There are guns made according to the 1911 design to one extent or another, and by different makers, the parts of which are usually made by still other companies.

An AR is a design.

Dave

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
So did I catch that your 1911 is a Ruger? Send it to them and give them the opportunity to make it right.

They will probably ask him why he doesn't use the mags they sent with it. confused

I do use the magazines that come with it on the range. The Wilson 47 and 47D are the gold standard in 1911 magazines.

Dink

They certainly are priced like gold. But if they don't work in your gun, that doesn't mean much - does it?

Do the Ruger mags work, or not? Mine have been flawless (I'm lying). So have the Checkmate mags I already had - which were flawless in my lowly RIA (bull). Oh - and the Colt factory mag (no way). The Novak/ACT mags - not so much. [/sarcasm] Can't see buying "the gold standard" when other lesser priced but high quality mags that more resemble the original design work just fine.

My Ruger mags have been fine so far but so have my Kimber pro mags, chip McCormick mags, etc.

I was trying to prove I could get a 1911 to run so I was using good mags.

Dink

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
In the last month two guys I work with have bought new springfield 1911's.

One bought a new MC Operator. Factory mag and factory ammo (I don't remember brand). It would not run a full mag with out a malfunction, mostly failure to ejects. We blamed the ammo.

The other one bought a new range officer. He said the gun had been flawless...first round stove pipe with winchester white box.

I have heard both guys say how goo dog guns they are. Neither have been carrying them though.

It can't just be my bad luck.

Dink

Last edited by DINK; 07/12/16.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

An AR is a design.

Dave
Yep. Same concept.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Yep. Same concept.

Agreed.

Dave

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Because you read that on the Internet?

I have no use for either.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ok.

How did you determine some people shouldn't own 1911's?

I can't speak for MM, but I made my determination based on people that know little about firearms and even less about 1911's, and then complain and spew idiocy about both.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JOG

Because you read that on the Internet?

I have no use for either.
I only use MetalForm in my 1911s, and then only the versions with the standard 7 round capacity and the traditional follower, featuring the nub.

See "nub" illustrated here:

[Linked Image]

The nub is crucial, and part of the original Browning design, because as the magazine spring wears out, that last round can otherwise start to slip forward of the extractor hook (the nub prevents this by the rim catching on it, preventing forward motion till the slide forces it forward), requiring the hook to snap over it on closure of the action, thus wearing out the hook, eventually causing breakage.

Page 4 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (10Glocks, 22250rem, 160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 68 invisible), 2,486 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,477
Posts18,489,976
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.