Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 22 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 21 22
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I've never, ever understood the problem people have with the safety on a 1911. I switch between a 1911 and striker guns regularly and have never missed the safety or "forgotten" to use it. Disengaging the safety should be a natural part of the presentation.

I hear you. For nearly a century people of been disengaging safeties of all types. then in the 80s can start showing up without safeties and suddenly people are completely confused, can't operate a safety, and now you have those who profess they'll get you killed.

Just like how people were able to manipulate an external hammer on a rifle, shotgun, or handgun for some 400 years, but now days all the instructors say to never mess with the hammer on any loaded firearm. I've been lowering hammers to half cock on Winchester 94's, muzzle loaders, and various Winchester pump 22's since I was eight years old, not once has a hammer slipped from my fingers.

GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by GunGeek

DINK goes into his new ownership of a 1911 with zero faith in that weapon. I'd say that makes him a bad candidate for a 1911 owner.

Kevin,
I am just realistic about what a production 1911 will do. What it will do is let you down. I bet I have owned and been around more 1911's than you have.

I wish they worked but I can't get them to all the time.

I also bet you don't burn many rounds in yours or carry yours very much. That's the reason you don't post pics of it.

Dink

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DINK
FreeMe how many rounds a year do shoot your 1911's?

I don't see how buying $700-$1200 pistols is relying on luck.

I currently only have one. My round count varies, since I'm not a professional shooter. I dunno, a couple thousand or so these days. Much more in the past. The HP eats more of my range time, and the K9 eats some as well. Once several thousand rounds have gone down range without fail, I think the point is moot.

I started my 1911 experience with a cheap RIA, expecting that it wouldn't run right out of the box and that I would learn something in the process. It didn't, and I did. After applying what I learned (which was all simple stuff) that gun ran without fail, and continues to do so. I skipped the whining part.

You can spend a lot of money on a 1911 that runs right out of the box and still make it fail with the right parts or mods. I don't think you're relying on luck with your purchase - just with what you did afterward.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

I also bet you don't burn many rounds in yours or carry yours very much. That's the reason you don't post pics of it.

Dink

You really belive Internet photos are an indication of experience?

Cripes! Who has time to photograph everything?

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Here is what pics will tell you about a gun that supposedly used hard. If it looks new in the box they ain't being carried or used.

Kevin likes to copy pics off the net and say his 1911 "looks like this one".

If a gun been carried everyday for more than a decade it's going to show it.

Dink

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I've never, ever understood the problem people have with the safety on a 1911. I switch between a 1911 and striker guns regularly and have never missed the safety or "forgotten" to use it. Disengaging the safety should be a natural part of the presentation.

I hear you. For nearly a century people of been disengaging safeties of all types. then in the 80s can start showing up without safeties and suddenly people are completely confused, can't operate a safety, and now you have those who profess they'll get you killed.

Just like how people were able to manipulate an external hammer on a rifle, shotgun, or handgun for some 400 years, but now days all the instructors say to never mess with the hammer on any loaded firearm. I've been lowering hammers to half cock on Winchester 94's, muzzle loaders, and various Winchester pump 22's since I was eight years old, not once has a hammer slipped from my fingers.
You make a good point, there, Kevin. The concern is likely much overblown.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

DINK goes into his new ownership of a 1911 with zero faith in that weapon. I'd say that makes him a bad candidate for a 1911 owner.

Kevin,
I am just realistic about what a production 1911 will do. What it will do is let you down. I bet I have owned and been around more 1911's than you have.

I wish they worked but I can't get them to all the time.

Dink

Ah, just another "_____ pistol sucks because mine didn't work perfectly" thread.

I have no idea how many rounds Kevin has fired from his 1911. No idea how many have been fired from mine, either. It's a 1970s vintage Colt Series 70, factory nickel, that was bought by the father of a dear friend and carried by that man for many years. My friend then carried it, and I know for a fact that both of them shot the Hell out of it (as they did with all the firearms they owned). I received it as a "gift"/"permanent loan" almost a decade ago. I've carried it a LOT and shot it a LOT. To my knowledge, it has never failed to feed, fire, or eject.

Obviously, YMMV, but it doesn't mean that the 1911 is a poor choice for carry. You simply prefer something else. I don't like or trust Beretta M9/92s because I had three break on me. I know other folks who have carried and shot them for years with no malfunctions whatsoever. Does that mean the Beretta "sucks" because I don't trust it and had bad experiences with it? No. It means I need to carry something else because for ME, the Beretta isn't something that inspires confidence, and confidence is key. Hell, I even had a Glock go "kaboom" on me; something that I've never had happen with any 1911 I've owned or shot. Does that mean that Glocks "suck"? I think not, but if you're going to malign an entire design because you are having problems with it while others don't, well....

Anyway, enough with that; have fun with the rest of the trolling post as you've clearly gotten plenty of bites and I suspect that was the purpose.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

You make a good point, there, Kevin. The concern is likely much overblown.

Hmmmm.... now WHO would overblow such a concern?

I have one, but don't consider it ideal for personal protection carry, due to the single action design, which requires depending on deactivation of the thumb safety in the moment of the gravest extreme.

They make it only in the hammer fired, thumb safety variation, which in my opinion is generally unsuitable for defensive carry.

A thumb safety is one additional thing to do before your sidearm may be used to save your life. Can you train to it? Sure, but even the best trained occasionally forget. Fine on a sport firearm, acceptable on a fighting carbine, but not ideal, IMO, on a CCW, which, if needed, will likely require instant draw and fire under highly stressful circumstances.

Originally Posted by 320Keith
If you "fumble" with a thumb safety you are untrained and should not have a weapon.
I'm a adherent of the KISS principle. When the SHTF, one typically experiences an IQ drop to about moron level, so you'd better Keep It Simple, Stupid. Thus the thumb safety statement.

Only problem with it is that it's a bit heavy for a pants pocket gun (for me), and has that thumb safety.

Sig's little 1911 style .380 is a luxury range pistol compared to the LCP, but not near as good as a pocket gun for self-defense. Much bulkier and heavier, and you have to worry about forgetting to switch off the thumb safety when your IQ drops by about half just at the moment you need it.

Just a small sample from no later than late April.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Still, though, I've seen Hickok 45 forget to take the safety off guns he's testing, and that guy is fairly experienced, having at one time competed extensively with 1911s. For what it's worth, his recommendation is to decide whether you're a cocked and locked guy or a no safety guy, and stick with it, for this very reason. Makes sense.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Still, though, I've seen Hickok 45 forget to take the safety off guns he's testing, and that guy is fairly experienced, having at one time competed extensively with 1911s. For what it's worth, his recommendation is to decide whether you're a cocked and locked guy or a no safety guy, and stick with it, for this very reason. Makes sense.

Ah, you saw it on the Internet from someone else doing something and therefore it must be so.

NO surprise there....

IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
No, but lineage would have suggested the Congo. Lol

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

race cars gotta be wrenched grin

So do Model A's.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Still, though, I've seen Hickok 45 forget to take the safety off guns he's testing, and that guy is fairly experienced,

Obviously.

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by FreeMe

Owning one is one thing. But blaming malfunctions on the design as a whole without having acquired knowledge of what is required to make it work is another. If someone wants to own a 1911 and never bother to figure out if it runs right or why, that's their business. But those people would be better off learning something, instead of spouting off about their personal problems and ignoring the real assistance.

The 1911 should include a free armorer's course.

Dave

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager

Ah, you saw it on the Internet from someone else doing something and therefore it must be so.

NO surprise there....

laugh Laughin' here.

MM

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

NO surprise there....
Let's be clear. You're suggesting one of two possible things, either that Hickok45 actually isn't an experienced handgun shooter, or that he pretended to forget to deactivate a safety on a handgun. Which one?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

NO surprise there....
Let's be clear. You're suggesting one of two possible things, either that Hickok45 actually isn't an experienced handgun shooter, or that he pretended to forget to deactivate a safety on a handgun. Which one?

No, let's be clear; I'm not suggesting anything at all and much less that horsechit of a dodge you just attempted. I'm stating something rather plainly: that you said that your basis for your position on safeties is that you saw someone else do something on the Internet. That you base your opinion on someone else doing something and you seeing it on the Internet is no surprise.

NO surprise there....

Reading comprehension 101, Chriss....

Last edited by 4ager; 07/12/16. Reason: added the quote for clarity

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Pure hyperbole, my friend. No one's buying it, apart from your amen corner here at the Fire.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by FreeMe

Owning one is one thing. But blaming malfunctions on the design as a whole without having acquired knowledge of what is required to make it work is another. If someone wants to own a 1911 and never bother to figure out if it runs right or why, that's their business. But those people would be better off learning something, instead of spouting off about their personal problems and ignoring the real assistance.

The 1911 should include a free armorer's course.

Dave

laugh

Oh, but these days it does. One has only to invest the time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pure hyperbole, my friend. No one's buying it, apart from your amen corner here at the Fire.

No, folks know quite clearly that you aren't stating anything from personal experience; you're basing everything off of what you saw someone else on the Internet do. That's what you said, and that's exactly what I restated and it's still not a surprise.

Other folks talk about personal experience; you talk about seeing someone else do something on the Internet.

Last edited by 4ager; 07/12/16.

Page 6 of 22 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (1Longbow, 12344mag, 160user, 222ND, 2003and2013, 163bc, 63 invisible), 2,408 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,790
Posts18,477,303
Members73,943
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.