Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 22 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 21 22
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Who buys six packs?

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by deflave
The 1911 should include a free armorer's course.

If all 1911s were manufactured correctly it wouldn't be necessary, but since they aren't this wouldn't help.

Because of the variations between different manufacturers, every part of a 1911 is a gunsmith fit these days by someone who is trained on the 1911.

A Glock Armorers Course is like a day long and at the end bang...everyone in the class is certified and gets a diploma.

It takes longer than that sometimes for even experienced machine workers to be taught how to fit a 1911 extractor correctly, and some seem to not get it, and that is assuming the extractor is made right from the correct steel and properly heat treated.

Triggers and sears...forget about it...even the simple sear spring is a tuned part.

Not that it couldn't be done, but there aren't enough qualified armorers available for hire to keep even a single medium sized department's 1911s in good running condition, and I wouldn't want to be the one who had to train them!

Of course all this assumes that someone wants a 1911 that is made to correct specifications and runs well for tens or hundreds of thousands of rounds as they should.

Glocks do well all-around and are a great innovation. In harsh conditions the 1911 design has some advantages to the others, but not when made from out-of-spec manufactured parts that would have ended up in the reject pile in the earlier part of the last century. The 1911 marketplace is cluttered with what amounts to no-spec parts.

So when guys have functional issues with their 1911s I'm not surprised...what surprises me is that they function at all.

So if you do end up with a 1911 that works, you then have to mature as a shooter and learn how to shoot the beast.

A good friend of mine went through a few 1911s including a $2000 Les Baer that wasn't right, but is now carrying a $400 Smith M&P .40 police return that is working fine for him and is easier for him to be consistent with. At some point he just needed something that worked.

He tried for a couple of years to make the 1911 work but he shoots the Smith a lot better than the 1911 he was struggling with, aside from the functional issues, and easier and better than the Glock as well.

So he's staying with it for now, he can count on it, and for him it's the better option.

If there are ANY flaws in one's marksmanship training or pistol shooting skills, a 1911 will find them!

One of my exes could drill out the Xring with my CZ at 50 feet during a rapid fire mag dump, but couldn't hit the paper with one of my Springfields.

In troubled times I'd reach for a 1911, but 1911s aren't for everyone.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
That was a damn fine answer Boogaloo!

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Hey kgunt!

Check out Boogaloo's response. ^^^^

Was that so fugking hard?

Dave

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Who has an axe to grind?

The guy who spouts off about how "some people shouldn't own a 1911" without any reason or basis and refuses to either explain himself or admit that he was just spouting off......or the guy who says "what do you mean?"?

There's definitely a few people spouting off, grinding axes and trolling. But it's not the guy who says, "Can you explain that?"

I fully expect(ed) better out of you, Blue.

If I really thought Deflave, Clark or Travis or WETF his name is, was seriously interested in "why some people shouldn't own a 1911", I'd provide the full & complete response since I'm the one that 1st said that "some people shouldn't own a 1911".

But, he's not really interested, so there's really no point in having a conversation...........in fact as I recall, he's made numerous highly negative comments on here over time about 1911's & the people who like them.

Like for instance his comment in this thread along the lines of "you people need help", meaning 1911 proponents............simply no money in responding to that kind of BS, IMO.

I have nothing to either gain or lose by wasting my time responding to him, & perhaps, maybe now, to you too, so I don't intend to.

MM

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

If I really thought Deflave, Clark or Travis or WETF his name is, was seriously interested in "why some people shouldn't own a 1911", I'd provide the full & complete response since I'm the one that 1st said that "some people shouldn't own a 1911".

But, he's not really interested, so there's really no point in having a conversation...........in fact as I recall, he's made numerous highly negative comments on here over time about 1911's & the people who like them.

Like for instance his comment in this thread along the lines of "you people need help", meaning 1911 proponents............simply no money in responding to that kind of BS, IMO.

I have nothing to either gain or lose by wasting my time responding to him, & perhaps, maybe now, to you too, so I don't intend to.

MM

Speaking of a waste of time!!!

JFC!

Dave

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DINK
Originally Posted by GunGeek

DINK goes into his new ownership of a 1911 with zero faith in that weapon. I'd say that makes him a bad candidate for a 1911 owner.

Kevin,
I am just realistic about what a production 1911 will do. What it will do is let you down. I bet I have owned and been around more 1911's than you have.

I wish they worked but I can't get them to all the time.

I also bet you don't burn many rounds in yours or carry yours very much. That's the reason you don't post pics of it.

Dink
All I can say is you're entertaining as all hell.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Who has an axe to grind?

The guy who spouts off about how "some people shouldn't own a 1911" without any reason or basis and refuses to either explain himself or admit that he was just spouting off......or the guy who says "what do you mean?"?

There's definitely a few people spouting off, grinding axes and trolling. But it's not the guy who says, "Can you explain that?"

MM

I am interested in knowing why.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager
I don't keep count, frankly. I could toss out some number, but it'd be a flat out guess.

My last statement clearly was accurate.
Dood, you could toss out any number and either he won't believe you or he won't be impressed. You're not going to get anywhere with this guy. Just every so often he feels the need to have this conversation.

I just think it's f-ing hilarious that he started this one off by saying it's a 1911 that he owns. Even more funny, his wife bought it for him. I just laugh every time I think of that.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
That was a nice gesture on his wife's part.

Even though she bought him a pile of schit.

Dave

IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O

Dave

Unlike some EMT, bodyguard, security officer, hi-power egg spurt , part time ninja people I own a lot stuff. I think she did pretty well.

Dink

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O

DINK goes into his new ownership of a 1911 with zero faith in that weapon. I'd say that makes him a bad candidate for a 1911 owner.

Kevin,
I am just realistic about what a production 1911 will do. What it will do is let you down. I bet I have owned and been around more 1911's than you have.

I wish they worked but I can't get them to all the time.

I also bet you don't burn many rounds in yours or carry yours very much. That's the reason you don't post pics of it.

Dink
All I can say is you're entertaining as all hell.

Sometimes the truth is funny.

Dink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Thanks, I needed that.........you just proved my point.

TFF !!!

MM

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Unlike some EMT, bodyguard, security officer, hi-power egg spurt , part time ninja people I own a lot stuff. I think she did pretty well.

Dink

I was not casting stones.

Dave

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
And you forgot gunsmith.

Dave

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Thanks, I needed that.........you just proved my point.

TFF !!!

MM

Can I keep my 1911 or not?!?!?!

Clark

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can do whatever you want to do with it but I can't understand why you would want to keep a type of gun that you think is a pile of schitt.

MM

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
After high school and before I went in the Navy, for about three years all I did was go to work and then spend all my money on a 56 Chevy with a 327 engine that was putting out 350 HP that I drag raced every Saturday night. In 1970 I bought a Chevy Camero SS 396 putting out 375 HP. It was a good performer, but it needed someone with several years of driving and racing cars in that power to weight catagory. When a friend heard me say that, he seemed pissed about a casual remark, but I didn't know that he had ordered one just like mine except for the color.

It came in 10 days later and he drove it straight to my house to show me that he had one too. He was 9 years younger than I was and had never raced anything nor had he ever owned a car with more than 300 HP. I warned him that the light Camero and that much HP could be difficult to control when your foot was down on it.

Two weeks later we were headed to a drive in on Highway 90 on the gulf coast to meet some friends and then go to the drag strip. I was right behind him when he decided to pass the car in front of him. As he was turning into the passing lane, he got on that 375 HP 396 and it broke the rear tires loose and spun him sideways in the highway. He actually made a pretty good correction and got it straightened out but he over corrected and his new Camero jumped the curb and after throwing up sand for about 40 yards, stopped in the neutral ground hard against a 14 inch palm tree. I made the block and waited with him for the cops and the wrecker to come and then I took him home.

On the way home he said, well now I know why you said those 396 Cameros are not for everyone.

Some firearms have a manual of operation and maintenance that requires a practical level of knowledge and familiarity. The 1911 is one of them. We used to get that level of training and shooting experience in the military in boot camp. We don't get it anymore and now some people have problems because they are not as familiar with the firearm as they need to be to operate and maintain it properly. Then it becomes just like that light weight 375 HP SS 396 Camero. Although you may have one, if you don't know how to drive it, you probably aren't going to have it long.

You cannot substitute a You Tube video for practical, hands on shooting and maintenace experience. You can't learn to drive a low weight, high powered car by watching racing films. You can't become an Army Ranger by watching Rambo movies.

Those who are not willing to learn how to properly operate a 1911, or those incapable of understanding how the pistol works well enough to keep it running ought not own one for the same reason some people ought not own a low weight high powered car and some people ought not attempt to become Rambo. And that's just the plain truth.

Last edited by BobWills; 07/13/16.

Despite what your momma told you, violence does solve problems.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Dave

Dink
Uh dude, I'm a retired ninja...got my gold watch from the ninja union.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
grin grin grin

Okay. Let's all cool our jets and have a little fun. Everybody that wants a 1911 ought to get one. All those who don't want one, don't buy one. I'll buy all of you boys a beer and let's start another thread so we can argue because it's hot and that's what we do in summer.

Hey Geek, where can I get one of those Ninja watches? If I wear one, will that make me a ninja too? grin grin

Last edited by BobWills; 07/13/16.

Despite what your momma told you, violence does solve problems.
Page 8 of 22 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (222ND, 2500HD, 160user, 2003and2013, 257 mag, 163bc, 59 invisible), 2,394 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,788
Posts18,477,275
Members73,943
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.