Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 22 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 21 22
U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Regarding Glocks. How to tell if someone is handgun saavy? When you say how much you really like Model 19's, they know you're not talking about a Glock.

Don

NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Exactly so Don. Bill Jordan did not use a Glock.

Last edited by BobWills; 07/15/16.

Despite what your momma told you, violence does solve problems.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Yet he still had an AD.

Craziness.

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by BobWills
Exactly so Don. Bill Jordan did not use a Glock.

Yea, Bill Jordan would not have any idea what a G19 would be.

After seeing several fella's with them he would hazard a guess.

=> Girls size 19 dresses <=

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jordan designed the M19 revolver for a reason and the G19 has that same feature in its design. With modern ammo the 9mm has narrowed the gap in stopping power. I dunno, Mr. Jordan might really like the G19 of today.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I shoot a 19 and a 19 equally well and have nothing but love for both.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Me too...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Just to keep a world class thread alive, 2 comments.

1. Having conducted thousands of pistol quals I have observed that people who do not practice, frequently fail to de-activate their safety when put on the clock, they then say schidt.

2. Who should/ should not own a Glock? Anyone who carries AIWB and does not practice should carry a Glock. Disclaimer; my son is a surgeon.

carry on

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by deflave
I shoot a 19 and a 19 equally well and have nothing but love for both.

Dave
Glocks and S&W K-Frames both rock.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is better than watchin TV

[Linked Image]

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
1911, it's 100 plus years old!...you would think that after all that time there WOULD be better pistol designs, but some say no. You know cars have come a long way since the Model-T.

BUT there a lot of folks that contend there is no better (1911, not Model-T)...... For me, it is the easiest handgun to shoot accurately and feels right in the hand, balances well.

The only slight negative is that it's a little heavy although this helps with control.

"an armed society is a polite society"
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SargeMO
I wrote this in 2006 but believe most of it still applies. Ruger did resolve any issues with alloy frame durability via their titanium insert.

This isn't Sigs and Glocks we're talking about here, where you can count on them to at least work when they leave the factory. Current manufacturers of 1911's are making them to SELL, not fight wars with. All of them are guilty of this. In addition, there is no Army Ordnance Department to hold them to strict manufacturing specifications, check what they are shoving out the doors, and give them hell when they send out a bad batch- along with a returned shipment. These are the conditions that resulted in the 1911's reputation for superb reliability under adverse circumstances. Unfortunately they do not exist anymore, and you have to be your own "Ordnance Department." This will require that you have a sound working knowledge of what you are paying for, before you buy it. Get a copy of Kuhnhausen’s “The Colt .45 Automatic-A Shop Manual”- Volume One. Study it like your life depended on it. It does.

http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2006/01/special-edition-which-1911-for-duty.html

best post

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by TreeMutt
1911, it's 100 plus years old!...you would think that after all that time there WOULD be better pistol designs, but some say no. You know cars have come a long way since the Model-T.

BUT there a lot of folks that contend there is no better (1911, not Model-T)...... For me, it is the easiest handgun to shoot accurately and feels right in the hand, balances well.

The only slight negative is that it's a little heavy although this helps with control.
The basics of semi-auto handgun design really haven't advanced that much since John Browning's ingenious innovations (e.g., the tilting barrel, locked breech, design). Far superior to the toggle action and direct blow back actions that were the standard before his time (striker fired actions aren't new, as even the old Luger P08 was striker fired). Not a lot, other than materials and manufacturing techniques, has advanced since then. The Glock still uses the tilting barrel/locked breech designed by John Browning. Yet look how cars have advanced, as you say, since the Model T.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I wrote this in 2006 but believe most of it still applies. Ruger did resolve any issues with alloy frame durability via their titanium insert.

This isn't Sigs and Glocks we're talking about here, where you can count on them to at least work when they leave the factory. Current manufacturers of 1911's are making them to SELL, not fight wars with. All of them are guilty of this. In addition, there is no Army Ordnance Department to hold them to strict manufacturing specifications, check what they are shoving out the doors, and give them hell when they send out a bad batch- along with a returned shipment. These are the conditions that resulted in the 1911's reputation for superb reliability under adverse circumstances. Unfortunately they do not exist anymore, and you have to be your own "Ordnance Department." This will require that you have a sound working knowledge of what you are paying for, before you buy it. Get a copy of Kuhnhausen’s “The Colt .45 Automatic-A Shop Manual”- Volume One. Study it like your life depended on it. It does.

http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2006/01/special-edition-which-1911-for-duty.html

best post

I agree Jimmy. Once again, Sarge has distilled all the BS down to wisdom. Don'tcha just love it when he does that?

His last five sentences clearly state the reason most people have problems with modern produced 1911's. People are lazy, don't do their homework, and then they want to bitch about problems they have as a result of their failure to do that.

Sorta sounds a lot like the Hope and change BS that so many people also bought doesn't it? And Sarge was right about that too.

BTW, if you boys haven't visited Sarge's Roll Call and read the stuff he has posted there, you are missing out on a lot of real world experience and good, no BS information.

Last edited by BobWills; 07/17/16.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thank you Jimmy & Bob. Appreciate the props.

And of course I was just funnin' you with the Internet Intoxilyzer thing wink

Last edited by SargeMO; 07/17/16.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sarge, you have earned the right to what you say and you always say it like a man. I think most of us here appreciate that approach because we sure as hell don't see if coming from any of our current political leaders.

I was struck by your comments on how to build a basic 1911. That is exactly the approach I have used since 1958 when I was 16 years old and starting to learn about how firearms work. But back then, surplus parts were plentiful and cheap and many people like me just bought them at gun shows, Army/Navy Surplus Stores, or mail order places and put together our own 1911's for about 35 or 40 bucks. (My dad retired from the Marine Corps in 1954 as the First Sargent at the Annapolous Naval Accademy where he taught hand gun instruction to the cadets, so I had a good instructor who knew what he was doing.) I used to put those guns together for 35 bucks worth of parts and sell them for 45 bucks and I thought I was in high cotton.

Today, if you get a good forged frame and slide from almost any responsible maker and go to Cylinder and Slide and put in their properly made and rockwell tested forged/machined parts, you will have a good, dependable gun for a couple hundred bucks less than one of the "FANCY NAME" pistols that seem to be all the rage today. My pet peeve is those dam usless rod guides which make take down unnecessairly difficult, but do not improve the functioning of the pistol at all.

People are always going to buy the "shiney object" and the BS advertising and then they are going to bitch about the gun rather than their lack of diligence in doing their home work. And they probably voted for Hope and Change too, so just consider the source.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well if you are going to bring up Bill Laughridge at Cylinder and Slide, why not put some links?

Like this one http://www.cylinder-slide.com/classes/PistolsmithingClass.pdf

Or this one http://www.cylinder-slide.com/classes/1911_BYO_Class.pdf

Or the numerous others that he offers.

Swifty
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Well Swifty, thanks for the links, but I figure if people are interested enough they will cut and paste Cylinder and Slide from my post into any search engine and look it up for themselves. And if they are not interested enough to do that, why bother?

Today information is more available than at any other time in history, but most people are too dam lazy to use it and to tell you the truth, I just don't have any patience with those kinds of people.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Personally I can't understand why so many people want a 1911 when a Sig 220 is available

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by BobWills
Originally Posted by jimmyp

best post

I agree Jimmy. Once again, Sarge has distilled all the BS down to wisdom. Don'tcha just love it when he does that?

His last five sentences clearly state the reason most people have problems with modern produced 1911's. People are lazy, don't do their homework, and then they want to bitch about problems they have as a result of their failure to do that.

Sorta sounds a lot like the Hope and change BS that so many people also bought doesn't it? And Sarge was right about that too.

BTW, if you boys haven't visited Sarge's Roll Call and read the stuff he has posted there, you are missing out on a lot of real world experience and good, no BS information.

"Sarges Roll Call" about 1911s is full of unsubstantiated claims about manufactures process tolerances, contradictions, and paranioa about other processes. Also, it's pretty clear that he doesn't have a clue what exactly "quality" means or how it relates to manufacturing or claims by a manufacture. Congrats though on recommending the purchasing of Kuhnhausens book, I believe all 1911 owners can benefit from the book in that it helps them understand why thier 1911 isn working and they maybe able to get to run a bit better.

Page 10 of 22 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

442 members (10Glocks, 222Sako, 17CalFan, 160user, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 40 invisible), 1,850 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,754
Posts18,495,418
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.