Print Thread
Hop To
M
msinc Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Hello, I have an older Mark I that was brought to me because it jams. I test fire it and sure enough the cartridge tries to climb up the feed ramp and stops the bolt when you try to load the first round from the magazine. If I try to hand load the first round it will climb the ramp and lock up on the second round. Cannot even fire two consecutive rounds out of this thing. Initially I polished the bolt face and the feed ramp, no change.
I clean the gun real good and get a new magazine. Same thing. I see all the posts on the web about rounding the sharp corners and try that...zero change. I adjust the feed lips and give them a good polish and that solves the climbing up the ramp thing, but now that i can actually load and fire the gun the bolt ends up on top of the "next" round and jams it that way. It is as if the bolt is short stroking. This doesn't make sense because the gun will positively eject the fired round. Now I am thinking some kind of timing issue. At this point you can load a magazine and hand cycle the action flawlessly. It loads, extracts, ejects and reloads no problem...just not when you fire it.
I take the gun completely down looking for a problem and find one. I really thought I had it...the magazine button was dragging on the inside surface of the right side walnut grip panel. I give it plenty of relief and head out to shoot it just knowing it will work...nope, same thing. I know that the bolt is very fast on the Mark pistols. What seems like a short stroke cant be because the fired round gets ejected perfectly, but for some reason the bolt ends up over top the next round and wedges between the round when it tried to get up the feed ramp.
It cannot eject the fired round until the bolt is well behind the next round in the magazine, so it seems like the only way the bolt could get on top of the round instead of behind it is if there was a delay in the round coming up {again, I know the bolt on these things is very fast} or the magazine is sitting too low in the receiver. Doesn't seem like it is sitting too low because, again, it cycles fine and picks up every round when cycled by hand {way slower, back to the timing thing again.}
For what it's worth, the owner says it has been shot a lot, but nothing appears to be worn. There is moderate peening on the breech of the barrel by the bolt, but everything else looks fine for its age. This is an early one. This gun is whistle clean, and the bore is perfect. The new magazine feels like the spring is heavier or stronger than my pretty new Mark III Hunter and definitely heavier and harder to load by hand than the old magazine. Thanks in advance for any info!!!!! All replies are greatly appreciated.

GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Send it to Ruger.

They know a lot about Rugers.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Send it to Ruger.

They know a lot about Rugers.

Dave

Some of them do, no doubt, but the first guy that tried to fix my Bearcat a few years ago wasn't one of them. He tried to fix the lockup issue by bending the transfer bar, which broke off and fell out when I cocked the hammer.

To his credit, the gun was much safer after he "fixed" it.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
msinc Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
The problem with the "send it to Ruger" comment is that they will send back either a Mark III or install a barrel with the entire OSHA safety manual written on it. I once sent in a two screw BlackHawk and got it back with a three screw receiver and safety marked barrel. Could not get my old "more valuable" pistol back int the interest of "safety"...
I might have this thing fixed, it functions flawlessly with slower less powerful target ammo. It was suggested that I try this as there was no such thing as hi-speed performance 22 long rifle ammo back when this gun was made.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I was having a similar problem with my MKIII. When I put new Hogue rubber grips on, I had a spring get just a little cockeyed. That was just enough to make it not cycle.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Had a problem tonight at a "fun" shoot....plates at 50'.... and had a series of misfires and jams. This was from a pistol that has NEVER failed to feed and fire...an absolute model of reliability. I tend to use lube very sparingly on 22 autoloaders as they will gum up after a while. I put a few drops of oil in strategic spots and it improved but still there were a few problems. standard and high velocity both jammed. I'll rip the pistol down tomorrow clean and relube everything.

You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is a gunsmith who specializes in Rugers. He posts on Rimfire central. He Owns SGW. His name is Dennis and I have sent my 3 mk 2's to him to be tuned. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
M
msinc Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Thanks for the replies fellas...this gun runs flawlessly with target ammo and a new magazine.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (35, 6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 6 invisible), 1,388 guests, and 840 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,510
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.