Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
There is an oil glut because of two things:

1) The world realized that there truly is an oil glut. There is oil seemingly everywhere. It can be found and drilled with ease all over the globe. Only regulations are holding back the sense of an overwhelming supply of oil. This runs contrary to the fearmongering of the past 50 years based on the foolishness of "peak oil." That fear was priced into the market (and world events especially the Middle East) ever since WWII. That narrative is now dead, at least for a few centuries.

2) Countries dependent upon oil for their economy, influence, and social standing in the world have to flood the market with more and cheaper oil in an attempt to maintain some sense of their status and to continue generating revenues to which they have grown accustomed and to try to flood more expensive producers out of business (Venezuela, Russia, Saudi Arabia, OPEC, Middle Eastern wannabees). This is a losing proposition, a game of global energy chicken.

Cheap oil is here to stay, other than through political maneuvering. Those politics might be very volatile, but in the end are a losers game since oil is now know to be so plentiful. It's just a matter of getting it out of the ground when desired.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Time to get the CORN out of oil.

BINGO!

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

1) The world realized that there truly is an oil glut. There is oil seemingly everywhere. It can be found and drilled with ease all over the globe. Only regulations are holding back the sense of an overwhelming supply of oil. This runs contrary to the fearmongering of the past 50 years based on the foolishness of "peak oil." That fear was priced into the market (and world events especially the Middle East) ever since WWII. That narrative is now dead, at least for a few centuries.

2) Countries dependent upon oil for their economy, influence, and social standing in the world have to flood the market with more and cheaper oil in an attempt to maintain some sense of their status and to continue generating revenues to which they have grown accustomed and to try to flood more expensive producers out of business (Venezuela, Russia, Saudi Arabia, OPEC, Middle Eastern wannabees). This is a losing proposition, a game of global energy chicken.

Cheap oil is here to stay, other than through political maneuvering. Those politics might be very volatile, but in the end are a losers game since oil is now know to be so plentiful. It's just a matter of getting it out of the ground when desired.

Cheap oil is here to stay. In history there are lessons. You will be wrong. No doubt. No clue when, but you will be wrong.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Timberlake
I remember pumping gas at 19.9c/gallon! There was glut then also.

I remember the gas station price wars of the later 1960s when gas sold for $0.14/gallon. It was stable for many years at $0.26 to $0.32 per gallon.

This glut might have something to do with destroying ISIS. Oil is their only significant source of cash.

I'm all for using up the rest of the world's oil and saving ours. I realize it doesn't sit well with the oil companies and workers here, but it seems a good strategy on face value.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I am so happy to be out of it. If I were in I would be one handing out the pink slips and early retirements. I have done it before and and more than pleased to be an observer this go around.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Calvin
I'm sure oil will make a spectacular rebound when people least expect it. Otherwise, if you think you know when it's going to come back, place your bets and get rich.

Though now retired, I ain't selling my company provided Shell stock. It grosses me $2.5k a month on dividend alone with three more years ahead to receive the balance of what is due. Nope, I am sitting tight with that piece of my portfolio.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Interesting that many here always blamed high oil prices on the "speculators"...

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by rost495

Cheap oil is here to stay. In history there are lessons. You will be wrong. No doubt. No clue when, but you will be wrong.

Absolutely wrong.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They were using the corn to kill the older engines so people will buy new cars.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K

i would truly love that!

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by deerstalker
of course there is an oil glut..... i bought stock in oil producer.
if you guy's want to get rich just ask me what i investing in and go the other way.

I have a close cousin like you , he makes an excellent barometer on what NOT to invest in. His personal bests were Enron and World Com........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CashisKing

BINGO!

Never happen in an election year. That corn is a giant tax subsidy to big agriculture!

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by luv2safari

I'm all for using up the rest of the world's oil and saving ours.

Who is this "ours" you are talking about?

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CashisKing

BINGO!

SH aside, I couldn't agree more.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by EdM

Absolutely wrong.

Yep, the idea that gas will go to 1.00 a gallon and then stay there indefinitely sure shows that some folks don't wake up when they get up.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

+1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by deerstalker
of course there is an oil glut..... i bought stock in oil producer.
if you guy's want to get rich just ask me what i investing in and go the other way.

I called my broker after seeing my energy stocks swirling in the drain. He talked me into buying more.

Last edited by Wingsandthings; 07/18/16.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by EdM

Absolutely wrong.

Yep, the idea that gas will go to 1.00 a gallon and then stay there indefinitely sure shows that some folks don't wake up when they get up.

Too funny.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Inflation adjusted price of oil since the Civil War.

[Linked Image]

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM

Too funny.

Ed, what sort of price targets are you hearing at year end?

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1badf350, 1936M71, 53 invisible), 2,350 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,043
Posts18,500,820
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.