Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Simply need some insight.

1. Good neighbor, widow lady, carries an old .22LR SA revolver along when she roams in the forest, but it works sloppy and sometimes jams up when she unloads the brass. Am thinking it is a "Heritage something-or-other" and have cleared it for her more than once now, and yesterday advised her that, if she is going to stay with the .22, she should at least have a .22 Mag and a new/good firearm. She is all for buying a new .22 Mag.

So, what do you recommend in a .22 Mag revolver (about 4" barrel like this one - maybe 5") with emphasis on ease of use and dependable/foolproof. She does like SA over DA, but understands how to cock the DA.

2. Have a chance to replace my truck bed topper with a nice (used) Snug Top that has a much better rear lift gate. But, instead of the sliding front window opening that matches the same type of window on the rear of my cab, it has no front window and a seal (donut type) that "should" seal against the back of the cab. Have you ever used a top with such a seal, and does it work OK - or leak wind and rain? Are there any install secrets to help avoid leaking at that seasl? Is there a good way to rejuvenate that rubber seal? OR ???? It looks good, but is Snug Top made well?

I simply know some guys on here will have excellent info, so thanks in advance.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
In flate a bicycle innertube between the cab and the cap.

Get the old lady a 32 h&r mag. Better round with about the same reciil and blast but more effective.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I got my Roger Single-Six convertible around 54 years ago. It shows a lot of use but still works great.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ruger Single-Six, or Bearcat.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd go with the Ruger Single Six convertible. Would shoot the 22LR cyilnder for fun and practice and have the oportunity to swap to 22mag if need be. The mag is not ear friendly and ammo has been very hard to locate in the stores.

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cimarron has some pretty nice single action Colt replicas. I will bring one along for her to see and shoot.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Years ago I had an inflatable donut seal between my pickup and topper. It worked fine, no wind or leakage. However, after a few years of wiggling around, it did a hash job on the paint around the window.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Single-Six convertible is the way to go, had one for 45 years or so. Sweet little revolver.

Ted
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
http://ruger.com/products/newModelSingleSixConvertible/specSheets/0627.html

I'm hoping this takes you to the exact gun, but fear it does not. What she wants is the stainless Ruger Single Six Convertible with the 4.62" barrel. This will nearly duplicate her Heritage but with a second cylinder in the "usually" cheaper .22 LR and in stainless steel for easier care. It will operate much, much smoother than any Heritage.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm guessing the Ruger will fit right in her holster too. The Heritage used to be FIE and they had a safety mounted to the frame up by the hammer. This is what usually gave trouble.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a High Standard Mark IV 9 shot .22 magnum. It's a great gun for taking into the pasture. I bought it new 40 years ago and it's still working well. Albeit I have not put a lot of ammo through it, it makes for a nice carry revolver. A guy might find them on Gun Broker but I rarely see them.

kwg

Last edited by kwg020; 07/12/16.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hard to beat a Single Six for a single action but another good one (although it's double action) is the Taurus Tracker...
I had one for several years....shot straight and functioned flawlessly....they're affordable and a little smaller than a S.Six which might be nice for a gal....

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/570308598

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GeoW
I'd go with the Ruger Single Six convertible. Would shoot the 22LR cyilnder for fun and practice and have the oportunity to swap to 22mag if need be. The mag is not ear friendly and ammo has been very hard to locate in the stores.

g

Had my single 6 for 25+ years. It's a great gun. As to 22MAG ammo, it is hard to find and when I do find it , it costs too much.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Paul:

I own one of those Heritage revolvers. I bought it a long time ago. It's a POS. About every third round creates an oval hole in the paper indicating that the bullet is tumbling. It is nickel plated and some of it is peeling off. I would get rid of it but I don't feel right about selling that kind of crap to someone. Maybe the guberment will offer a buy back opportunity to get guns off of the street. I would love to sell it to them.

I have owned two Leer toppers on two consecutive trucks. I've been happy with both. No front windows in my toppers though.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Taurus purchased Heritage Arms back in 2012 I believe. Give them a call and see if they will service it. Who knows. Lots of the later model Heritage Arms worked decently. Hope you can get it fixed.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by kwg020
I have a High Standard Mark IV 9 shot .22 magnum. It's a great gun for taking into the pasture. I bought it new 40 years ago and it's still working well. Albeit I have not put a lot of ammo through it, it makes for a nice carry revolver. A guy might find them on Gun Broker but I rarely see them.
kwg

I agree, these were nice guns. They have however, developed a "cult following" and their prices have gotten far above what their true value is. A Ruger LCR in 22 mag may be just the ticket. No hammer to worry about.

Last edited by Cariboujack; 07/13/16.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As the others have stated, a Ruger Single Six convertible. I've had mine for 38 years with nary a problem.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Well guys, thank you VERY much for your info and suggestions. Was trying to not deplore that Heritage too much so as not to offend any here that might use/like them, but hers is sure messy - I think due to poor materials and workmanship. Will keep it working for her until she gets a good one.

Being genuinely interested in your experiences/suggestions, I didn't want to bias the matter - but am tickled by your comments on the Ruger Single Six. Bought mine in great condition at a pawn shop in Yuma, AZ in 1962 and it has been flawless over these many years. More recently got a .22mag cylinder for it fitted by Al Story down at his Borchart Rifle shop.

Your comments about the scarcity/cost of .22 mag ammo and its much nastier report in a revolver reminds me that maybe I should not push that for her - she is willing to practice with her revolver and .22 mag issues might inhibit that.

I will follow up on every suggestion here. Thanks.

Also - thanks for the bed topper info - I was wondering if that donut seal would mess up the paint on the back of the cab. Looks like it might.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Paul,

I have a heritage. Works ok. Just needed some loctite as the screws came loose after the first 150 rounds. Since the loctite, no further problems. I've owned it since 1993 I think, and carry it everywhere.

The Ruger is a wonderful firearm. Those single six pistols are the cat's meow.

Lately I've been using a Kel-Tec PMR30.

It's a polymer frame. Holds 30 rounds. So far, so good. No issues with it.

As for .22 mag ammo availability, that it a real issue. Although I see it on Cheaperthandirt and a few other websites.

If you're looking to help her, maybe a .38spl? The Ruger SP101 is a great little pistol. With a 4" barrel and light loads, I'm sure that she would be comfortable with it. Cost could be a factor. So maybe a Charter Arms or a Rossi?

Just a thought.

Jeff

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bearcats can be had with adjustable sights now.

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

180 members (907brass, 17CalFan, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 22 invisible), 2,042 guests, and 1,071 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,502
Posts18,490,503
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.