Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 18 of 22 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Not really, because all of my five currently owned 1911s are reliable and don't hit me in the forehead. Just shows that, made right, they work great. You can't, however, just pick one up out of the box and be highly confident that it will be problem free, and that's been explained already as a result of the fact that there isn't any such thing as "a 1911." It's a design pattern followed loosely or closely by dozens of makers from parts made by an even higher number of parts makers. You can only compare the one that's in your hand to a Glock, not "the 1911" to a Glock. A Glock is a product made by Glock out of Glock-made parts. Same with the Walther PPQ, the Sig P320, and on down the line. These are all actual products, vs the 1911, which is a design pattern. So it's perfectly fair and reasonable to compare the Glock 19 to the Sig P320 Compact, for example, but not "the 1911" to the Glock 21, Walther PPQ 45, etc., etc..

Thanks again.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by deflave
Not really, because all of my five currently owned 1911s are reliable and don't hit me in the forehead. Just shows that, made right, they work great. You can't, however, just pick one up out of the box and be highly confident that it will be problem free, and that's been explained already as a result of the fact that there isn't any such thing as "a 1911." It's a design pattern followed loosely or closely by dozens of makers from parts made by an even higher number of parts makers. You can only compare the one that's in your hand to a Glock, not "the 1911" to a Glock. A Glock is a product made by Glock out of Glock-made parts. Same with the Walther PPQ, the Sig P320, and on down the line. These are all actual products, vs the 1911, which is a design pattern. So it's perfectly fair and reasonable to compare the Glock 19 to the Sig P320 Compact, for example, but not "the 1911" to the Glock 21, Walther PPQ 45, etc., etc..

Thanks again.

Dave
OK, I think I understand your position better now. So you don't disagree with my post above, right? It can be made right and it can be made not right. Not the fault of the design.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
...It can be made right and it can be made not right. Not the fault of the design.

1911 problems are similar to IBM PC problems. No one manufacturer actually makes all their parts (with the exception of Taurus). Most 1911's are made with parts from a very wide variety of subcontractors. Depending on the manufacturer those parts are often oversized, so it all comes down to the quality of assembly.

S&W seems to have a good handle on it, as well as Colt and Springfield. S&W makes extensive use of MIM parts which are dimensionally perfect, and may go a long way to explaining why they tend to work. Colt and Springfield use oversized parts from billet, forged, or investment cast, but they have people who really know what they're doing for assembly, so they tend to work well out of the box.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for the thread. Went out and bought one like this today:

[Linked Image]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
rear sight is too big, you are going to scratch yourself.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have the stainless version. It runs fine, and shoots accurately with anything I have fed it. I bought it as a target pistol, but may swap out the sights for some of Nighthawk's night sights. Maybe get the frame checkered as well.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OK, I think I understand your position better now. So you don't disagree with my post above, right? It can be made right and it can be made not right. Not the fault of the design.

No, you don't get his point or position........he thinks 1911's are dogshitt because, across all the manufacturers, the odds of getting one that runs well & reliably with any ammo out of the box are probably not more than 60/40.

Him & others want every one to be (Glock) perfect & use Glock as the measuring stick; they want 100% plug & play & have no feel for the aesthetics or the personality & feel of a 1911.........they don't want to have to tweak them, tune them or deal with anything short of perfection to perform, through umpteen thousands of rounds between cleanings out of the box.

It's symptomatic of the way of the world today.

So, maybe now you get his & others subtle & unspoken position.......haters gonna hate, lovers gonna love.

Just let it go & move on; there is really no rational way to deal with them.

And besides that, there's the trolling..........

After all, those opinions & preferences have no impact on those willing to deal with 1911's as they are & who are willing to & can, make them as reliable as a Glock (or M&P, or Sig, etc, etc.)

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There was an owner survey years ago at 1911forum.com, that sampled several hundred pistol owners. It simply asked, "did your gun malfunction in the first 200 rounds?"

Glock ran about 11%
Wilson Combat 1911's were about 12%
Les Baer 13%
Colt 1911 about 17% (which included many different models)

Who won? H&K, with about 4% failures

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
All I know is, I went years and years with no malfunctions in several various Colts over the years, during IPSC shooting, practice for IPSC shooting, or other endeavors. I've never forgotten that some do NOT work, mine always did, though. I also spent a LOT of time ROing matches, and saw a lot of gun problems from other shooters.

I've also seen issues with Glocks, Tanfoglios, even the odd Beretta that showed up from time to time. Crap happens with them ALL. Just about anything that is manufactured by man can crap out. None of MINE ever did, but I'm pretty good at loading ammo that works, too.
So far, though it's only had 100 rounds thru it, my new police trade-in S&W M&P is working pretty good. No malfunctions, but what would you expect out of it with ball 9mm ammo, anyway? I gave it every chance to work flawlessly, and it did.
Some folks won't do that, (give it a chance to work right), or they want it to fail, and do everything they can to make it do so. It seems like that's what the troll is after, finding flaws. I'd rather find the good points and expand on 'em.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Was that survey for 45 acp calibers.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There was a 1911 only survey by manufacturer over on the 1911 forum as well.......maybe 2-3 years ago.

MM

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jorgeI

[Linked Image]

Nice pistol Jorge. I gave the Gold Cup a serious look before picking the Sig 1911 MAX.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks, I've just always been a fan of Colts.
[Linked Image]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Very nice 'new' and older pistolas Jorge, congrats. smile

Trump Won!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

[Linked Image]

Jorge-

The Trophy is a custom shop gun. There will be no hiccups with that gun.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
There was an owner survey years ago at 1911forum.com, that sampled several hundred pistol owners. It simply asked, "did your gun malfunction in the first 200 rounds?"

Glock ran about 11%
Wilson Combat 1911's were about 12%
Les Baer 13%
Colt 1911 about 17% (which included many different models)

Who won? H&K, with about 4% failures

I remember that. I used to be very active there.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

Nice fleet, jorge.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Originally Posted by deflave
This thread is doing a great job of proving my point.

Dave

laugh It does look that way, eh?

Without a doubt, there are many 1911's I would not trust my life with in their current state. Some came that way from the maker. Others ended up that way afterward. Most can probably be fixed by someone who really knows the gun. Some - not within reason. That's why I am dubious about buying one used without the opportunity to disassemble, inspect, and measure.

So Dink - ya grindin' on that Ruger yet? Or you gonna sell it cheap before you bugger it (or cheaper, after)?

I'll keep it. That way when I get the urge to own one again I can just get out of the safe and shoot it till it stops. Then I remember why I don't carry one.

I do the same with SxS shotguns.

Dink

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
SxS's suck.

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
[Linked Image]

The three of those collectively won't see 1K rounds in the next five years.

Dave

Page 18 of 22 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1234, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 59 invisible), 2,553 guests, and 1,402 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,177
Posts18,484,676
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.