Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Don't overlook the 90 gr GMX which has been excellent for me.

Seems like if a 270 would be your choice there should be no reason to balk at using a 25/06.

Oh and by the way; you suck wink !

Seriously man best of luck on the hunt I really hope you'll bring us along with a photo essay after the hunt!

GB1

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for all the replies. It is a desert sheep hunt here in AZ. The rifle shoots great with the factory Barnes 100 ttsx and I have a box of those bullets so I may load some of my own to try too. I have a box of the factory Federal 115gr Partitions so I will see how they group as well.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
The 25-06 and 100 grain TTSX bullets are probably the best combination I have ever seen on mule deer sized animals and smaller.

A
a12 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I killed this California Bighorn in Idaho with a 257 WBY and 115 ballistic tip. No problem. Congrats on the tag and best of luck.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
25-06 with the 115 grain TSX was my go to for whitetails for a couple of years. One buck - bang-flop not even a quiver, one doe - my spotter giggling and 'saying she couldn't get to the ground fast enough'.

Since the TTSX only goes to 100 grain, wouldn't hesitate to use them, but if you want heavier, the 115 TSX would work. If sighted in properly and practiced, either would work great out to 500 yards.

Barnes are the only bullets I've used for big game for the last 15 years. Have not been disappointed.

Talent is what you're born with, skills are what you earn. - Rod Smith

Time flies, but remember, you are the pilot!
IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I know that I would be using the 115 Nosler Ballistic Tip. It always works.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by a12
I killed this California Bighorn in Idaho with a 257 WBY and 115 ballistic tip. No problem. Congrats on the tag and best of luck.

[Linked Image]
Congrats on a dandy sheep! Bruneau? I helped a pard with Calif. bighorn. Super cool country.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Last edited by FishinHank; 07/27/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congratulations!

In several 25 cals, including my current 25 Bob, the 115 Partition was more accurate than the 120 for some reason. I've shot deer with both the 115 and 120 they work same-same and are a great bullet. In the 25-06, you should be able to run them 3100+ with a 24" barrel. They might shoot flat enough <G>

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Sheep are much smaller than people think and they are not tough to kill. They look bigger because they have a muscular body type. When you shoot one and walk up to it, you will be surprised. A 25-06 with any decent bullet should work fine. I like partitions, accubonds and TXS myself.

I admit my experience with sheep is limited, I only shot one and it was at 15 yards with a bow, but I guided two buddies to theirs and video recorded them. They were shot at 110 yards and 320 yards.

If you like your 25-06, take it and don't worry.

Mark

IC B3

A
a12 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by pointer
Originally Posted by a12

[Linked Image]
Congrats on a dandy sheep! Bruneau? I helped a pard with Calif. bighorn. Super cool country.

Owyhee River Canyon. A little west of where you hunted. Agree, amazing country.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by a12
Originally Posted by pointer
Originally Posted by a12

[Linked Image]

Owyhee River Canyon. A little west of where you hunted. Agree, amazing country.
Nice!! Amazing how "lonely" some of that country is.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
80gr TTSX will get it done with less mess and fuss.

There is this kid...

Well, yeah...on a brown bear perhaps.

wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I thought his biggest problem shooting griz was using bronze-tipped bullets. I recall a close call he had.

Originally Posted by VernAK
Indeed he did like the 220 Swift until his serious run-in with a grizzly

"After I hunted for the market for a few years I developed strong opinions about rifles. I wanted the lightest weight rifle I could find. The 30-06 box magazine rifle I brought to Alaska in 1915 was a heavy, clumsy thing, and I used it only a short time............For a time I used fine Mannlicher rifles which I could buy from Smith Brothers Hardware in Fairbanks for $35. I used the 7mm model, which is about like a 30-06 in hitting power. I even tried a .405 Winchester, thinking it would be a good bear rifle........The Savage 250-300 was my favorite all-around rifle for market hunting.......In the late 30s into the 40s I had a Winchester Model 70 in 220 Swift, and killed everything with it-moose, grizzly bear, caribou, sheep. However the little 48 grain bullet didn't perform well on grizzlies. But with a lung shot on hoofed game the Swift killed quicker than any other gun I ever owned. ......Rifle cailber is less important than marksmanship".......

Frank was market hunting at Black Rapids 1915-1924 with time out for WWI. He thought he had killed 260-280 sheep plus numerous caribou in that period. He didn't take moose for market as they are just too big to pack out. It was not unusual to see a half dozen grizzly in a day.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by VernAK
Indeed he did like the 220 Swift until his serious run-in with a grizzly

"After I hunted for the market for a few years I developed strong opinions about rifles. I wanted the lightest weight rifle I could find. The 30-06 box magazine rifle I brought to Alaska in 1915 was a heavy, clumsy thing, and I used it only a short time............For a time I used fine Mannlicher rifles which I could buy from Smith Brothers Hardware in Fairbanks for $35. I used the 7mm model, which is about like a 30-06 in hitting power. I even tried a .405 Winchester, thinking it would be a good bear rifle........The Savage 250-300 was my favorite all-around rifle for market hunting.......In the late 30s into the 40s I had a Winchester Model 70 in 220 Swift, and killed everything with it-moose, grizzly bear, caribou, sheep. However the little 48 grain bullet didn't perform well on grizzlies. But with a lung shot on hoofed game the Swift killed quicker than any other gun I ever owned. ......Rifle cailber is less important than marksmanship".......

Frank was market hunting at Black Rapids 1915-1924 with time out for WWI. He thought he had killed 260-280 sheep plus numerous caribou in that period. He didn't take moose for market as they are just too big to pack out. It was not unusual to see a half dozen grizzly in a day.

Somehow missed this until it was quoted...

I remember the story of the grizzly incident and even drove up to one of the communication stations above the river, with book in hand and think I figured out which draw he was describing.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender

There is this kid...

wink

He has killed mountain goat, brown bear, huge-bodied bull moose, caribou, Sitka blacktails, and more with the combo. It seems to work for him.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I think this is the 3rd place that has 110 ABs in stock...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/51...grain-bonded-spitzer-boat-tail-box-of-50

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Another vote for the 115 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip!

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle

There is this kid...

wink

He has killed mountain goat, brown bear, huge-bodied bull moose, caribou, Sitka blacktails, and more with the combo. It seems to work for him.

I just remember the bear story best. smile

Always wondered how that goat tasted? wink

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

There is this kid...

wink

I just remember the bear story best. smile

Always wondered how that goat tasted? wink

Ask Riley about it... wink

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

350 members (16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 47 invisible), 2,591 guests, and 1,351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,419
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.