Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
magnumb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Trust me...good advice is easy to ascertain. It's more often the bad advice that's more difficult to sort out.

Thanks for your help as well.

Last edited by magnumb; 12/12/06.
GB1

M
magnumb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Long time Shortcamp!! You must go underground for awhile. You even act like the varmints you slay! Down in the winter and up and about in the summer.

Hey, thanks for your comments and posted sites. I tried brassmanbrass.com, but got "no server found". Who knows?

The national match site was interesting. I had made email contact yesterday with Jeff at gibrass, per rost's suggestion and Blammers from sometime ago. He answered quickly and I ended up going through him for 4,000 processed LC cases today. I would imagine a good resource for you as well.

When's your first trip planned for varmints? Can't hardly wait myself.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

M
magnumb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Jeff,

You sure you're not Jeff from gibrass? Well, if you are, there's $300 coming your way as of this morning......grin.

Jeff is a great guy like you said. Emailed him yesterday about some specifics and shipping info. Right back at me with all my answers through email.

Called him this morning and decided on 4,000 processed cases (crimp removed and all bright and shiny). Stamped '03.

Good prices and as you said, he knows his stuff. Nice guy and willing to entertain any and all questions. Very knowledgeable about all aspects of both domestic and foreign brass.

Interesting point or perhaps a reminder for those in the know.....Jeff said that the pull down LC brass, as we know it, will be coming to an end. The "over runs" or whatever allows for pull downs to be made available to the general public, will cease to exist. Naturally I asked when that might occur. Jeff had no idea, but it is inevitable and not years away. I had intended to purchase 2 or 3,000 cases, but that little tidbit upped the ante for me. When asked how that will affect him, he said he'd be at the range with everybody else picking up "once fired' and that will be the best that he or we can get. Whoa!! Hate to see that happen, but it is what it is. So...heads up!

Blammer did tell me about the 844 and H335's similarities. Good advice and I will go that way next time. Big savings!

200 lbs. of anything is a bunch.....200 of powder....even better. Your stuff was made during the end of my tour in SEA with the USMC. Grunt (03..), what else. Trained on the 14's and converted over to the 16's. Now there was a difference I'll not soon forget. Like handling a NAA .22 LR after holding a full sized 1911. I liked both. Shooting is shooting.

I'll resize as suggested. No problem with that. Good time of the year to get some of that prepping done.

Sorry about the nightmares....I'm probably at least some to blame. It does tell us what we focus heavily on....that's for sure. I'm just about all "asked out" so hopefully you'll get some well deserved sleep tonight.

Never annealed...but I'm up for it. Sounds too easy...that in itself should worry anybody! Don't know the specifics, but guess I'll go buy a flame thrower at my local Home Depot in the next few days. Gotta have the tools.

Tubb's must have loved that!! Should put everyone on notice that it's not always the gear, but more often the guy behind it. Having said that....I like nice gear. LC will work out fine for me.

Thanks again for your help and suggestions. I expect that Jeff and I will do business again in the near future as I'm sure I'll prefer pull down over once fired. Keep what I said in mind....Jeff was giving me the heads up.

Thanks again to everyone for your comments and suggestions. I should be GTG for at least a little while now.

Magnumb

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I thought I had enough brass. And probably really do, but maybe its time to think it over again. Stuff used to be less than 15 a 1000...... I've got a few thousand here and there, and almost 10K primed, but more would not hurt.

Got a big lot of PMC from Jeff years back. Was good stuff too.

Oh yeah, Tubb had some comment about his T2k ammo not being quite right yet. I agreed as it was only the second outing for my new 6.5 twist PN upper and was also tweaking ammo. Shooting 10 with one primer and 10 with another. Guess we both should have had better scores. My 200 was a bit better than his 196 though. In fairness his 197 standing sealed the match though, I was 2 ahead for the match if you disregard standing which put me about 10 behind.... never did do well standing on a regular basis... Was getting better when I quit. David is a super guy!!

More never hurts. Of course in a bind there is commercial.

Jeff

Last edited by rost495; 12/12/06.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
magnumb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I've been downstairs to access my .223 "stash". 2 cases of 50 gr. V-Max's (my reloads), 1 case of SHTF 68 gr. BH's MHP's, 2 cases of 52 gr. BH's MHP's, 1 1/2 cases of 50gr. V-Max's BH's (blue box), 10,000 205's, 26 lbs. of H335, 8,000 50 gr. V-Max's and 4,000 LC processed brass on the way. Oops...need another 1,260 V-Max's to come out even on the powder. I hate when that happens!!

That makes me ALMOST as bad as you!! 10K primed and you're still thinking you're light!! Problem is.... I understand completely.......that's a bad thing.

Less than $15 a thousand..........geeeez.

Last edited by magnumb; 12/12/06.
IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
magnumb,

I am always around somewhere, just stay below the radar.

I have heard of others having trouble with the brassman website as well but it always works for me, sounds like you have it covered though. I actually do not buy brass. I belong to a range that has plenty to pick up, most of it once fired crimped. I end up with a lot of different manufactures but most of it works just fine. That is how I found out about the FC brass I already knew the bold FC was bad but thought I would give the other a try since I have about 2K rounds of it and it will do for what I use it for. Most of what I pick up is LC.

I am headed back to CO right after the first of the year for family matters and going to be shooting some dogs on the way down and while there and catch some jacks on the way back home.

Hope all has been well with you, it sounds like you are getting quite the arsenal built up.

Midsouth has free shipping up to 50lbs till Christmas, 50 v's still same price!!!!!

Last edited by Shortcamp; 12/12/06.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
FWIW if you need to use FC brass, besides the difference in headstamp which I've noticed but don't trust, IE have done it that way but still am spooky about it...... you can usually take your normal load, back off a full grain, and still have accuracy and not spit primers out the back. Normally. Too much hassle for me though.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Jeff,

Thanks for the info. I don't load the Fed to hot so have not had any problems so far. If I am going to load hot I use the LC.

Mike

M
magnumb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks for the heads up on MS. Ordered 2,000 more 50 gr. V-Max's on your suggestion this morning. No shipping and $2.00 insurance (plus a free V-Max T-Shirt), such a deal. Actually, I'm truly amazed to see that same price per 250ct. Hadn't been in the .223 component "hoarding" mode for a few months, outside of the brass, so just figured MS's prices went through the roof too. Great suggestion...thanks for that. Backordered, by the way.

Envy your chance at getting some varminting in soon. Hope you find a bunch there to greet you. Expect the 'yotes to show up pretty well this time of the year as well....snow and all.

Arsenals and stashes........the problem being, if you add up the # of trips we (you/I) make, #'s of days times approx. 275-325 rounds per day, the "stash" is soon depleted. Take 8,000 rounds. Probably adds up to only 26 or so days of shooting. That's only five, 5 day trips!! This takes into consideration great hunts and not-so-great hunts, poor weather and good shooting weather. One 4 day trip last year, 1,100 rounds. But.....we were out of the fields by noon due to it being 102 degrees! Imagine had it been a chilly 85-90 degrees each day. What......400-500 rounds a day! Components never last as long as we think....'course we could cut back......but what's the fun in that....grin.

Thanks again for the tip and have a great Holiday and a safe trip.

Good shooting.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (1234, 17CalFan, 1_deuce, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 52 invisible), 1,767 guests, and 1,127 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,105
Posts18,522,468
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.