Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My daughter is looking at getting her concealed carry permit. She's been shooting since she was little ; God help someone who decides she's a target for any kind of crap..........

I've always liked a 9mm for concealed carry but thought I'd ask here. My concern is concealed carry in a small purse plus her size. She's 5 ft and 100 lbs. She shoots my 9s well and am lea IMG that direction for her.

Thoughts?

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G43, but something would have to cover the trigger if she is carrying in a bag. Ruger LC9 would be a good on. S&W Shield, too. The Kimber Micro 9 is very nice as well. My wife prefers the Kimber to the others. Disregard the TRH horsechit about a safety being a liability.

Also, if you could find one, a 3rd Gen S&W 3913 would be great.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
If a small, but not a tiny, auto is what's called for, and recoil sensitivity is any issue at all, she'll be far better off with a .380, especially if you don't go smaller than a Glock 42.

You want her to enjoy shooting it so she'll practice.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
If a small, but not a tiny, auto is what's called for, and recoil sensitivity is any issue at all, she'll be far better off with a .380, especially if you don't go smaller than a Glock 42.

What does your wife carry?

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Can she pull the 9mm slide back as well as the 380? My wife went with a LC380 for that reason. She like the feel of the LC380 over my LCP.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by bwinters
My daughter is looking at getting her concealed carry permit. She's been shooting since she was little ; God help someone who decides she's a target for any kind of crap..........

I've always liked a 9mm for concealed carry but thought I'd ask here. My concern is concealed carry in a small purse plus her size. She's 5 ft and 100 lbs. She shoots my 9s well and am lea IMG that direction for her.

Thoughts?

Let her choose both the cartridge and the pistol. If she chooses at least she will carry and use it

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I found it easier to let my Wife decide on her own, what to carry. She tried a number of different platforms and calibers. Settled on a J Frame S&W in .38 Special.
She shoots it well, is comfortable with it, and practices. Problem solved.

Sam......

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
9MM

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Whenever I hear purse I always think revolver, J frame 38 special Speer gold,135gr five shot, six, lightest gun she can handle.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by BamBam
Whenever I hear purse I always think revolver, J frame 38 special Speer gold,135gr five shot, six, lightest gun she can handle.
There are purses designed for concealed carry. In those, something like a Glock 42 would work fine. Certainly shouldn't just be tossed into a regular purse, though, unless in a proper holster. But you're right that a revolver is a good choice for that due to the long, heavy, trigger pull.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't think that the .380 will have less recoil. Between the two cartridges, there is a difference in the size of the pistol, with the 9mm being a bit larger. So when all is considered, they end up having nearly identical recoil in pocket guns.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My wife's EDC is a S&W M&P compact..........she shoots it nearly as well as her full size M&P. She carries it in a special (very attractive) purse for the most part, or in a jacket pocket if wearing an appropriate one.

The 9mm is a LOT more cartridge than a 380, IMO, & if she's an experienced shooter, there's really no reason to go with a 380 & most of the only slightly larger 9's are more shootable than some of the really small 380's...........not a big fan of mouse guns.

MM

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
There are purses designed for concealed carry. In those, something like a Glock 42 would work fine. Certainly shouldn't just be tossed into a regular purse, though, unless in a proper holster. But you're right that a revolver is a good choice for that due to the long, heavy, trigger pull.

a purse designed for the pistol would be fantastic, but I think a girl at her age would probably not go that route. This is why I say revolver, and I don't believe that her father would ever let her just dump a revolver in her purse without being in a holster. There's a lot going on inside of a purse a lot of things floating around to catch on a trigger.dirt and debris which are always floating around in a woman's purse :-)play havoc on semiautomatics even inside of a holster hence the revolver. At 5 foot and 100 pounds if she had a revolver with a heavy trigger pull she would most likely need to have a trigger job.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Don't think that the .380 will have less recoil. Between the two cartridges, there is a difference in the size of the pistol, with the 9mm being a bit larger. So when all is considered, they end up having nearly identical recoil in pocket guns.
Obviously. If sizes are held roughly constant, however, .380 has noticeably less recoil, e.g., comparing the LC9 with the Glock 42. The 42 is even a bit lighter, and still has less felt recoil.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hawk,

I think the G43 & 43 are the better comparison. And to me, the difference is muzzle blast, not actual recoil. The 9mm is louder so it seems more, but actual felt recoil is a wash...for me, in my hands. I've also found that the 43 is just more shootable since there's more grip area.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can tell you for a fact that the Kimber Micro 9 has noticeably more recoil than they Micro .380.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The recoil characteristics of a snubnose .38 is not conducive to a "novice". They are just nasty, especially as compared to a .380.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

a purse designed for the pistol would be fantastic, but I think a girl at her age would probably not go that route. This is why I say revolver, and I don't believe that her father would ever let her just dump a revolver in her purse without being in a holster. There's a lot going on inside of a purse a lot of things floating around to catch on a trigger.dirt and debris which are always floating around in a woman's purse :-)play havoc on semiautomatics even inside of a holster hence the revolver. At 5 foot and 100 pounds if she had a revolver with a heavy trigger pull she would most likely need to have a trigger job.

A purse designed for a pistol has a dedicated compartment for the gun so nothing extra is it & it positioned for an easy withdrawal & access.

This is the one that my wide is using & besides the fact that it works for carrying, it's probably her favorite purse.

MM

Montana West Gun Purse

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

The 9mm is a LOT more cartridge than a 380, IMO, & if she's an experienced shooter, there's really no reason to go with a 380 & most of the only slightly larger 9's are more shootable than some of the really small 380's...........not a big fan of mouse guns.

MM

This. I've given shooting lessons to many females (easier to get to shooting accurately than males IME). I've not found one who objected to a 9mm over a 380, especially using ammo such as Hornady's Critical Defense Lite in a gun that is comfortable. I realize 380 is better than it was a few years ago, but 9mm is always my recommended minimum for an adequate SD pistol.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Hawk,

I think the G43 & 43 are the better comparison. And to me, the difference is muzzle blast, not actual recoil. The 9mm is louder so it seems more, but actual felt recoil is a wash...for me, in my hands. I've also found that the 43 is just more shootable since there's more grip area.

See how similar in size the 42 and the LC9 are? The 42 is a bit lighter, yet still much less felt recoil.

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

636 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 66 invisible), 2,978 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,849
Posts18,478,447
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.