Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Odessa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I downloaded the AdBlock add-in for Chrome web-browsers yesterday due to issues at Shotgunworld. My 24 Hour Campfire interface has also improved drastically - no more pop-up ads or time delays when typing a post. I didn't realize how much the ads and trackers were slowing things down. Great for a quick, free improvement. Odessa

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Members here say it over and over -get ad-block = no more pop-ups.
I did it a few years ago can't say enough good things about bc I hate intrusive ads .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I did AdBlock several years ago. My computer was not usable on any website without it.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
WOWZERS! Just installed it. What a difference (especially on this site.) Thank you.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
DUH!!!

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
AdBlock Plus does do a great job.

It is so good and in use by so many now with more installing it every day that some websites won't allow visitors or members with adblocking to view unless they turn it off while at their site with some offering a choice of paid subscription in lieu of ads.

Also, because ad blocking costs major bucks in lost ad revenue, there are already services available like Getpaywall and Uponit-Anti-Adblock that claim to defeat ad blocking.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
AdBlock has drastically improved the function of this site on my Kindle.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Is there an Adblock plus app for Chrome on mobile devices? I haven't found anything but desktop additions. I have tried the Adblock web browser for Android but am so used to Chrome that it is a hassle for me to use anything else.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Welcome to the club of believers. grin

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
Is there an Adblock plus app for Chrome on mobile devices? I haven't found anything but desktop additions. I have tried the Adblock web browser for Android but am so used to Chrome that it is a hassle for me to use anything else.

War Eagle, Thankfully there is. My phone had gotten so bad on this site I didn't even use it. Downloaded the Adblocker Browser for Android from RocketShield. Works great and operates just like Chrome.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Adblock?

What is that?

😉

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
A bit disheartening though not all that surprising considering the huge amount of money involved.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox...y_to_get_their_ads_through_its_tool.html

...It’s a sad day on the Internet, folks: Adblock Plus, one of the most popular ad-blocking tools around, is reportedly selling out. That’s per a Wall Street Journal story on how there’s “money to be made blocking ads” and “allowing ads to evade ad blockers.” According to the Journal, Eyeo GmbH, the company behind Adblock Plus, has started letting the ads of about 70 companies pass through its filter in exchange for money; that’s some 700 ads in total. What’s more, that number should only grow, as Eyeo “is now reaching out to developers of other ad-blocking tools to cut deals that allow certain ads to pass ads through their filters, too.”

Eyeo tells the Journal that for ads to go through they must comply with its “acceptable ads” policy, which means that they “aren’t too disruptive or intrusive to users.” Adblock Plus expands a little more on its website, noting that “a few very large entities who take part in the Acceptable Ads initiative compensate Eyeo for its service.” Eyeo declined to name specific paying companies on the whitelist, but the Journal reports that the list includes Google, Microsoft, and Taboola. Eyeo, moreover, does not seem to feel that anything about this is compromising its service, writing online that “there is no way to buy a spot on the Acceptable Ads exception list.”

Tragic as it is to learn about the Adblock Plus whitelist, perhaps it should have been obvious all along that something like this would happen. A free service in the business of interrupting other revenue streams was bound to eventually need revenue of its own, and likely beyond what Internet users were willing to donate. Estimates of the revenue at stake in the ad-blocking wars range from $1 billion to $20 billion, which might explain why they’ve seemed to get a tad more heated as of late. Apple’s new iOS 9 mobile operating system enables developers to build ad-blocking software for Safari for the first time. Advertisers, for their part, are contemplating how they can target the ad-blocking segment directly. In the meantime, mourn for Adblock Plus, which isn’t as pure as you thought, because at the end of the day it needs money too.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by joken2
A bit disheartening though not all that surprising considering the huge amount of money involved.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox...y_to_get_their_ads_through_its_tool.html

...It’s a sad day on the Internet, folks: Adblock Plus, one of the most popular ad-blocking tools around, is reportedly selling out. That’s per a Wall Street Journal story on how there’s “money to be made blocking ads” and “allowing ads to evade ad blockers.” According to the Journal, Eyeo GmbH, the company behind Adblock Plus, has started letting the ads of about 70 companies pass through its filter in exchange for money; that’s some 700 ads in total. What’s more, that number should only grow, as Eyeo “is now reaching out to developers of other ad-blocking tools to cut deals that allow certain ads to pass ads through their filters, too.”

Eyeo tells the Journal that for ads to go through they must comply with its “acceptable ads” policy, which means that they “aren’t too disruptive or intrusive to users.” Adblock Plus expands a little more on its website, noting that “a few very large entities who take part in the Acceptable Ads initiative compensate Eyeo for its service.” Eyeo declined to name specific paying companies on the whitelist, but the Journal reports that the list includes Google, Microsoft, and Taboola. Eyeo, moreover, does not seem to feel that anything about this is compromising its service, writing online that “there is no way to buy a spot on the Acceptable Ads exception list.”

Tragic as it is to learn about the Adblock Plus whitelist, perhaps it should have been obvious all along that something like this would happen. A free service in the business of interrupting other revenue streams was bound to eventually need revenue of its own, and likely beyond what Internet users were willing to donate. Estimates of the revenue at stake in the ad-blocking wars range from $1 billion to $20 billion, which might explain why they’ve seemed to get a tad more heated as of late. Apple’s new iOS 9 mobile operating system enables developers to build ad-blocking software for Safari for the first time. Advertisers, for their part, are contemplating how they can target the ad-blocking segment directly. In the meantime, mourn for Adblock Plus, which isn’t as pure as you thought, because at the end of the day it needs money too.

Use uBlock Origin -- smaller, lighter & faster than Adblock Plus -- and without any sellouts to advertisers.

In Firefox, search for uBlock Origin, install it and uninstall Adblock Plus because you don't need both. I think uBlock Origin is available for other browsers, but I haven't double checked.

The war between advertisers and blockers will continue though! smile

John
(long time Adblock Plus user, recent convert to uBlock Origin) smile

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have been using Adblock Edge for a while now. It works.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (219 Wasp, 1Longbow, 204guy, 1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,380 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,304
Posts18,487,128
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.