-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Now that our white tail season is over for another year, and I missed another big one at long range, what type of scope is available that might help us with our long range, up to 500, maybe 600yds? We have the standard 3 x10 scopes in both the 44 and 50 mm objective lense.
<br>Carrying a range finder doesn't answer our ranging question because our deer are usually on the move. I estimated my missed shot this year at about 400yds. I'm usually pretty close.
<br> Since we are fairly accurate at estimating ranges, would a scope with just a bullet drop compensater help? If so, who makes a good one?
<br> We would also need to be able to adjust the scope down to shoot at closer ranges such as under 200yds. Maybe a better question is: is there a scope that can help us in this type of shooting?
<br>Thanks for any and all of your opinions.
<br>

GB1

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Terry,
<br>
<br>Most of us are lousy at estimating range, especially past 250 yds or so. Have you verified the ranges you have estimated?
<br>
<br>You will need time to make a 400-600 yd shot. Making a hit on a moving deer at those ranges is difficult even if you know the exact range and have the rifle zeroed for that.
<br>
<br>Having said that, you can range find with most duplex reticle scopes. With a 3x9 Leupold, the distance between the thick part of the crosshairs is 9" at 100 yds at 9X. Knowing that, you can range deer reasonably well to 400 yds. The Vari X III Leupolds have a ranging feature to 600 yds. Mil Dots are always a good choice as well. I think a Leupold 4.5x14 with Mill Dots would be a good choice.
<br>
<br>To get the best option, you should probably ask the guys that routinely make such shots. They post on the "Long Range Hunting" board.
<br>
<br>Blaine

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
A running deer at 400 plus yards is a matter of having lots of time to "practice" until you hit him. I hunt some really open mule deer ranges in the deserts of the west. I see, or hear, such "long range" hunters do their thing from time to time. The buck gets up, and takes off. The hunter piles out of his 4WD, off his horse, or whatever. He then opens fire with his trusty magnum. If he finally hits the deer, often it is a "less than ideal hit". The various 7 mm - .300 Magnum rounds are very popular for such shooting. In fact, some will tell you that those rounds are the best for such "hunting/shooting". BTW, they often miss, even after a couple of magazine loads are fired.
<br> I believe our true long range hunters don't try such shooting. As Blaine said, it takes time to set up a long shot. Sometimes it is just not a realistic shot. In otherwords, a good way to wound, and loose, a buck. All of our long range experts learn the limits of their loads and skill with lots of practice.
<br> I suggest you not concern yourself with a better scope. Try buying a good binocular. Learn to spot those deer first. Then, if you must take a long shot, you will be dealing with a standing, undistrubed animal. One that will allow you the time to do it right. E

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I didn't know that about the duplex crosshair sights. How does that work on the leopold Vari X III? We have one 3.5x10-50.
<br> Our average shooting is 150 to 300yds, but I always seem to come across the buck I'm looking for at the longer ranges. I let several spikes, forks and six pointers go this year and a smaller 8 and the 10 I'd been trying to find I run into while he's trotting across a hillside about 400yds away. The last 2 years have been the same thing. Standing deer that don't know I'm around, I've been able to zero in on before they figure out what's going on. On the occasion that a deer is wounded and runs, I think I only lost 2 in the last 10yrs or so. We know the area so well, it's rare one actually gets away after being hit. I've hunted this area for 38yrs now and my kids are 4th generation out there.
<br>Thanks for the info.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In all honesty, you have plenty of scope for the job at hand. The question really lies in the ability of the rifle and the shooter.
<br>
<br>I would question the ability to hit a deer at long range thats not standing still long enough to use a range finder. Doesn't sound like a shot that should be taken to me. Also, at long range, fairly accurate guessing is not close at all.
<br>
<br>How much range time are you spending shooting at these distances? Do you know for a fact how much drop your bullet has at these distances? Bullet drop charts are a good place to start, but sometimes aren't very close to whats really happening. If you want to hit a deer at 400yds, you have to practice at 400yds. You also have to be sure the deer is at 400 and not 450 if you want to hit it.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Sorry but I believe it is irresponsible to take a 400-yard shot at an unwounded deer that is moving. I don't care how big it is or how badly you want it.
<br>
<br>The variables are many....is your rifle accurate enough, have you judged the distance and wind correctly, how's your skill level?
<br>
<br>I would almost be willing to bet that not one hunter in an 100 , given 3 shots, could hit a running (or even walking quickly) deer in a vital area at an unknown but in excess of 400 yards distance.....and since the deer is already moving, you have 10 seconds to fire your first shot after you first see the deer. Ready...10....9....8..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
400yd running shots at deer is way out of my league. A laser rangefinder would be your quickest way to determine range,then use a target turret or Mil-Dot Reticle to sight at that range. I would take a 400yd standing shot IF the conditions were favorable but wouldn't consider a running shot at that range.My .02c...

James

But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines, the commandments of men. Mt 15:9
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A deer troting across a hillside at 400 yards is a no shooter. Look for him again tomorrow. Or next season. Unless you can hit a running coyote at that distance with repeatable performances. I know a few shooters who can do just that, but very few.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I don't know what hunting seasons are in other states. Even MN has 16 days. WI has only 9 days, and though I can hunt the entire 9 days, many guys have to work 3 or even 4 of the 9 days and a buck trotting at 400yds may be the only chance at a buck all season. That 400yd shot I tried was the best one I had this season. The deer were scarce this year for several reasons. My immediate group of 4, bagged 0 deer this year. My shot was the 2nd to last day in the afternoon. After trying to place 4 shots without hitting him, I watched him run for another several hundred yards before he went out of sight.
<br> All the time, effort and money that's spent getting ready for a pretty short season, and the effort to finally find one once the season starts, you take the shot you get. I put on many miles stalking thru the forests and open hills in an effort to even see a buck some years. I knew this was going to be a slim year before it started . It's the first in over 10yrs that my immediate group didn't get anything at all.
<br> maybe it's not much of an excuse but, that's why I try a shot like that.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
That's also the only rifle hunting we have here unless you count rabbits with a 22 rimfire. Otherwise it's illeagal to be in the forest with a center fire rifle.

IC B3

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Terry,
<br>
<br>You simply bracket the deer--top of back to bottom of chest--between the horizontal wire and where the thick part of the duplex reticle begins. You adjust the power until the deer's body just fills that area, then look on the scope power adjustment ring and read the range. 3.5X = 200 yds, 4.5x = 300, 7X = 400, 8.2X = 500, and 10X = 600.
<br>
<br>These are all assuming the deer is 18" thick, which is an "average" deer. This method will get you close, but I really think 400 yds is about the limit with this method.
<br>
<br>Blaine

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
You need to also know that deer can vary alot. A really small buck might be only 16 inches deep, while a really big one can be 24, even 26 inches deep. A big, 24 inch chested deer means your quick ranging method, using the bracketing technique, would put him a 1/3 further away. Another reason why this type of shooting is so tough. E

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (12344mag, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,347 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,137
Posts18,484,018
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.