Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
The best thing about an ar is the 2 stage trigger. Changing to one stage gets rid of one of the best things about precision shooting a small target at distance in field conditions. At the range with a great rest the single stage is fine. The 2 stage dominates it in the field.

Umm... The standard AR trigger is not a 2 stage.
Did I misunderstand what you're saying?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Love a good pissin match.
Wonder who will drown first.

Chevy, Ford, Dodge?

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Its really funny, considering some of us use both, without an issue and back to back... LOL.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by TXRam
What's funny is most of what anyone uses in a bolt rifle is single stage triggers, and somehow they are good enough for that but not an AR?!?! Yeah you can't go below ~3-3.5lbs but that's very little more (if any) than my hunting rifles (2 3/4-3lbs). I personally can shoot pretty dam good with a 3lb trigger, and except for trying to squeeze out the last small fraction of an inch off groups I prefer a single stage at abt 3lbs. I totally understand the desire for the 2 stage for a match rifle or even in the field if that's your preference, it's just not my preference. To each their own!

The nations best bolt gun shooters that I know personally, use 2 stage triggers.....

If you'll notice, I said "most", and then even further said something about squeezing out the last improvement in groups....

You just have to argue...

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
And I've yet to see a bolt gun double...

IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by TWR

Do you mean bolt 2 stage? If so didn't almost every military bolt gun in history have one? But I do replace them with singles.
Don

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
The best thing about an ar is the 2 stage trigger. Changing to one stage gets rid of one of the best things about precision shooting a small target at distance in field conditions. At the range with a great rest the single stage is fine. The 2 stage dominates it in the field.

Only if "in the field" consists of small targets at distance.

if your not doing that then the crappy factory trigger will probably work fine. The other thing is if you want to shoot quickly you can always blow through the second stage like its not even there. the bolt gun comparison isn't an accurate one because if you have a bolt gun you have less shots to connect with so your more likely to be using a steadier rest. When the rest is steady your trigger matter less.

a small target at distance is a relative one. a coyote at 150 yards is a small target to me. a 12" gong at 250 yards is a small target to me. If your shooting these targets with your ar 15, which I do typically off shooting sticks, a 2 stage trigger IMO will out perform any single stage AR trigger.

If your blasting close range or playing around the crappy trigger that comes in a SKS rifle will do just fine. But we are talking aftermarket upgraded triggers in which case I would think most around here would be concerned with precision with.

as for bolt guns if I could get decent 2 stage triggers for them I might change them if I shot them typically from field type rests. All my field type shooting these days seems to be with AR rifles though so I will probably just keep using what I have.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by DonMarkey
Originally Posted by TWR

Do you mean bolt 2 stage? If so didn't almost every military bolt gun in history have one? But I do replace them with singles.
Don

I mean any bolt action gun with any trigger. They can't double cause there ain't another round being slammed into the chamber automatically.

I'm sure they've got the bugs worked out in some of the single stage triggers meant for AR's but the main benefit for an AR with a 2 stage trigger is it allows a light release from the second stage yet still remains safe.

I've tried a few triggers and searched out the single stage canister triggers a few years ago. CMC was having problems and weren't shipping, Timney's or at least the one I tried had too much creep, I wasn't paying the price for a Gold, polished factory triggers never worked or doubled if they were shot enough so I stayed with 2 stage triggers and have seen no reason to change. But I've heard good reports from most every brand out there now, I'm just skeptic.

I really hope things are better now cause these are the good old days.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do you consider heads @ 300 to be "small targets at distance"?
I'll play along....sure.

The military doesn't.

It's pretty well established since the days of the Krag that 300 is short range, i.e. head-shooting distance. It's not until you get to 500yds, i.e. mid range, that the rifleman transitions to body shots.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
lol

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BarryC
Do you consider heads @ 300 to be "small targets at distance"?
I'll play along....sure.

The military doesn't.

It's pretty well established since the days of the Krag that 300 is short range, i.e. head-shooting distance. It's not until you get to 500yds, i.e. mid range, that the rifleman transitions to body shots.

300 is the max effective range for the 223 imo. 500 is beyond it. After 3 seasons using a 20 inch ar with a variety of bullets loaded as strong as I can run them. The 223 is weak even on coyotes.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I wouldn't want to get shot in the face with a .223 at 500 yards.

But I wouldn't be terribly worried about many guys in the military shooting me in the face at 500 yards either.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There have been plenty of CM kills with 5.56 out to 700.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T

300 is the max effective range for the 223 imo. 500 is beyond it. After 3 seasons using a 20 inch ar with a variety of bullets loaded as strong as I can run them. The 223 is weak even on coyotes.

Wow, it's a good thing I'm shooting weak coyotes then...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

You can't make this sheit up..........well I guess you can.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by NVhntr

You can't make this sheit up..........well I guess you can.

Are you saying you can't make headshots at 300 yards?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't see as I mentioned my shooting ability.

Actually, I said that you must make this sheit up.

Please provide credible sources on infantry riflemen transitioning from head to body shots at 500 yards.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know where you're going to find that in writing, but it's a saying among rifle shooters. If you look at the target sizes, it's a pretty obvious conclusion with casual observation.
https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2015...erican-target-development-and-evolution/

If you do a search on it, you will find references to it as well. Google is your friend

Considering that I shoot with a bunch guys up to almost 90 years old that can put at least 7 out of 10 shots in a 7" circle at 300, it's really not that hard. Even you could do it.
Doing the same at 600 or even 500 is doable, but much harder. Hence, COM concentration instead.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have no doubt that guys your age or my age can do it, for fun, at the range.

We are talking about 18-25 year olds who are being shot at.

Are there range flags on the battlefield so they know when to transition from head to body shots?

By the way, just so this isn't a complete thread hijack, I will take a two stage trigger.

Last edited by NVhntr; 08/10/16.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by NVhntr

We are talking about 18-25 year olds who are being shot at.

Are there range flags on the battlefield so they know when to transition from head to body shots?

No, they have sergeants to tell them! smile

Seriously though, it's a pretty intuitive thing. If you can hold on it, you're going to shoot at it. And in these days of Trijicons, etc. you can hold on smaller targets farther out. smile

I'd sure hate to poke my head up 300 yards from a bunch 20-something Jarheads armed with any sort of ARs (M16A2s, M16A4s, M4s, whatever). How big would the largest chunk of your head be after being shot at by half a dozen of them? LOL! smile

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1234, 10gaugeman, 17Fan, 62 invisible), 2,324 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,326
Posts18,487,479
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.