Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Nope, wouldnt effect me, but could this apply to a person running a dillon producing 1000 rounds or more per month or year?

d)
The systemized production of ammunition, including the automated loading or
reloading of ammunition;

Or could it be used to register who buys X amount of components?

Swifty
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calhoun
I don't know too many full time gunsmiths that would be put out of business by a $2,250 fee. That's just a $1/hour increase or so in hourly work, and that's if they are a 1 man shop. You really going to stop using your favorite gunsmith if they tack on a $1 or $1.50 per hour increase?

What this seems to directly attack is non-gunsmiths since it specifically says that even ONE instance puts you in violation of the law. Finish one 80% lower, d&t one receiver, put on a different stock to increase accuracy, heck.. bedding may count since that's intended to increase accuracy.

And whether you export or not doesn't matter according to that article.

Seriously unenforceable... but seriously bad if the points in the article are true.
It's not about the $2,200.00, and it's VERY enforceable if ATF is including it in their inspections; and they will be. Some ATF agents have already been enforcing ITAR (none of this is actually new BTW), and some haven't. We've been fighting this for at least 2 years now.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To the top.
Kids, this matters enough that everyone has to take it seriously.
Department of state gets a big check every year now. I know Kerry's junkets are expensive and unproductive, but this is asinine.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So, how big of a contribution are gunsmiths making to the crime rate? How many of the shoot-em-ups we've seen in recent months got their weapons from the local gunsmith or had them upgraded by the local gunsmith? How much will the local gunsmith have to add to the price of his work because of this? What happens to schools that teach gunsmithing?

This is not a solution in search of a problem, like most regulations. The problem, in the minds of those on the Left, is that Americans have guns. I didn't say they have too many guns. I said they have guns, and our traitorous leaders do not like that. We have a myriad of "common sense" gun laws now, but the politicians talk as though guns are completely unregulated. The jig is up. The Democrats want to eliminate firearms, all of them, from America. We all know it. Good luck with that.

A major fight is coming our way before the November election. Gun owners will be pushed to the wall. Martial law is on the horizon, and all bets will be off.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I don't know too many full time gunsmiths that would be put out of business by a $2,250 fee. That's just a $1/hour increase or so in hourly work, and that's if they are a 1 man shop. You really going to stop using your favorite gunsmith if they tack on a $1 or $1.50 per hour increase?
You're assuming, (wrongly IMHO) that every hour a 'smith is in the shop is a billable hour.. Not so - not even close.. For small one-man shops like mine this would necessitate a rather significant increase in the hourly rate. Or, if enough business isn't there, closing for good.

But I was thinking - it mentions only if "increasing the accuracy" etc. ... Seems to me my customers' rifles are 'way too accurate' and they'll want me to open the groups a bit..

And just HOW is the ATF going to "know" what the initial accuracy of any specific rifle is anyway?? As you said Calhoun - this is unenforceable.

We need to send this little item in the OP to every Congressman we have and raise holy hell.. With any luck, once the AIC gets his azz out of the White House and we keep TFP out, maybe Trump will overturn a ton of these little regulations and let business perform again..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by GunGeek

What this seems to directly attack is non-gunsmiths since it specifically says that even ONE instance puts you in violation of the law. Finish one 80% lower, d&t one receiver, put on a different stock to increase accuracy, heck.. bedding may count since that's intended to increase accuracy.

And whether you export or not doesn't matter according to that article.

Seriously unenforceable... but seriously bad if the points in the article are true.
It's not about the $2,200.00, and it's VERY enforceable if ATF is including it in their inspections; and they will be. Some ATF agents have already been enforcing ITAR (none of this is actually new BTW), and some haven't. We've been fighting this for at least 2 years now.

It is just the never ending "Creep" to punish the gun world... you don't see ITAR type stuff happening to computers, servers, small engine repair shops.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Scott F
Originally Posted by Swifty52

Pursuant to 22 USCS § 2403 (d) [Title 22. Foreign Relations And Intercourse; Chapter 32. Foreign Assistance; General And Administrative Provisions; Miscellaneous Provisions], the term Defense article includes--

“(1) any weapon, weapons system, munition, aircraft, vessel, boat, or other implement of war;

(2) any property, installation, commodity, material, equipment, supply, or goods used for the purposes of furnishing military assistance;

(3) any machinery, facility, tool, material, supply, or other item necessary for the manufacture, production, processing, repair, servicing, storage, construction, transportation, operation, or use of any article listed in this subsection; or

(4) any component or part of any article listed in this subsection; but shall not include merchant vessels or, as defined by the Atomic Energy Act of 1954, as amended (42 U.S.C. 2011), source material, (except uranium depleted in the isotope 235 which is incorporated in defense articles solely to take advantage of high density or pyrophoric characteristics unrelated to radioactivity) byproduct material, special nuclear material, production facilities, utilization facilities, or atomic weapons or articles involving Restricted Data.”

So every lathe, mill, broach and screwdriver is now a defence article.

Honestly Scott if I didn't know better I would be thinking that is aimed at serious war preparation rather than just being annoying for civilian shooters and hunters.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is there any doubt that we are are living under a dictatorship at this point?

In addition to appointing constructionalist judges, Trump needs to work to restore the balance between the branches of government. Instead of passing laws, Congress now empowers mini-dictators that create regulations with the stroke of a pen.

This election may well be the most important ever. If the fat bitch wins, we are well-and-truly f*cked.

If you stay home in November, you clearly just don't really care. If you squander your vote on a lost-cause candidate out of spite or to make a "statement", you're a fool.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by GunGeek
ITAR has legitimate use, and I can see what they're trying to do. This is all about sniper rifles and .50 BMG rifles, and keeping them out of the hands of the undesirables. But the way it's worded it wraps up basically any and all gunsmithing in with it, and they don't seem to care. I wonder if the NRA has any pull on this one, other wise it's another $2,200.00 tax, and a bunch of unnecessary paperwork for nothing. Messed up thing to do.

Geez, are you you actually worried about 50 bmgs and "sniper rifles?"

WTF is wrong with them?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
you don't see ITAR type stuff happening to computers, servers

Actually I think it can be used on them in some form.

§120.10 Technical data.

(a) Technical data means, for purposes of this subchapter:

(1) Information, other than software as defined in §120.10(a)(4), which is required for the design, development, production, manufacture, assembly, operation, repair, testing, maintenance or modification of defense articles. This includes information in the form of blueprints, drawings, photographs, plans, instructions or documentation.

(2) Classified information relating to defense articles and defense services on the U.S. Munitions List and 600-series items controlled by the Commerce Control List;

(3) Information covered by an invention secrecy order; or

(4) Software (see §120.45(f)) directly related to defense articles.

(b) The definition in paragraph (a) of this section does not include information concerning general scientific, mathematical, or engineering principles commonly taught in schools, colleges, and universities, or information in the public domain as defined in §120.11 of this subchapter or telemetry data as defined in note 3 to Category XV(f) of part 121 of this subchapter. It also does not include basic marketing information on function or purpose or general system descriptions of defense articles.

[58 FR 39283, July 22, 1993, as amended at 61 FR 48831, Sept. 17, 1996; 71 FR 20537, Apr. 21, 2006; 78 FR 22754, Apr. 16, 2013; 78 FR 61754, Oct. 3, 2013; 79 FR 61227, Oct. 10, 2014; 79 FR 27185, May 13, 2014]

§120.45 End-items, components, accessories, attachments, parts, firmware, software, systems, and equipment.

(e) Firmware and any related unique support tools (such as computers, linkers, editors, test case generators, diagnostic checkers, library of functions, and system test diagnostics) directly related to equipment or systems covered under any category of the U.S. Munitions List are considered as part of the end-item or component. Firmware includes but is not limited to circuits into which software has been programmed.

Link http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=86008bdffd1fb2e79cc5df41a180750a&node=22:1.0.1.13.57&rgn=div5#se22.1.120_110

Swifty
IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Tag.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Land of the free. GD

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by greydog
Land of the free. GD

Not so much anymore.

It's what happens when we quit fighting for it.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Wish I had the sense to be a lawyer instead of a dumass plumber.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Scott F
Originally Posted by Swifty52

Pursuant to 22 USCS § 2403 (d) [Title 22. Foreign Relations And Intercourse; Chapter 32. Foreign Assistance; General And Administrative Provisions; Miscellaneous Provisions], the term Defense article includes--

“(1) any weapon, weapons system, munition, aircraft, vessel, boat, or other implement of war;

(2) any property, installation, commodity, material, equipment, supply, or goods used for the purposes of furnishing military assistance;

(3) any machinery, facility, tool, material, supply, or other item necessary for the manufacture, production, processing, repair, servicing, storage, construction, transportation, operation, or use of any article listed in this subsection; or

(4) any component or part of any article listed in this subsection; but shall not include merchant vessels or, as defined by the Atomic Energy Act of 1954, as amended (42 U.S.C. 2011), source material, (except uranium depleted in the isotope 235 which is incorporated in defense articles solely to take advantage of high density or pyrophoric characteristics unrelated to radioactivity) byproduct material, special nuclear material, production facilities, utilization facilities, or atomic weapons or articles involving Restricted Data.”

So every lathe, mill, broach and screwdriver is now a defence article.

Scott, you've got it buddy.

1984 is here and doublespeak is the language of the day.

It means what WE say it means, when we want it to mean that.

Remember "Willy", depends on what the meaning of is is, right?

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by denton
I'm a long way from untangling what ITAR really says, but from a quick skim, I gather that ITAR only regulates items in international trade. There is no constitutional right to engage in international trade, so the regulations can be pretty tight.

If that's correct, your local gunsmith does not need to register or pay the fee unless he/she is doing work that will be shipped to another country. So, undoubtedly, the major gun manufacturers will want to register so they can export. But someone threading a barrel for the local trade? I don't think so.

I'll keep researching and post anything useful that I find.

Denton,

from the NRA ILA article:

"The AECA/ITAR require anybody who engages in the business of “manufacturing” a defense article to register with DDTC and pay a registration fee that for new applicants is currently $2,250 per year. These requirements apply, even if the business does not, and does not intend to, export any defense article. Moreover, under ITAR, “only one occasion of manufacturing … a defense article” is necessary for a commercial entity to be considered “engaged in the business” and therefore subject to the regime’s requirements."

https://www.nraila.org/articles/201...on-releases-latest-executive-gun-control

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Grouchy letter sent off to Senators and Congresscritter.

[Linked Image]
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by jnyork
Grouchy letter sent off to Senators and Congresscritter.

so, who does the collecting of the revenue from the license fee, and where does it go? who is the beneficiary of the license revenue? do they have inspectors or what?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gus, the intent of this is to concentrate the FFL population. All it will take is the annual inspection visit, and oh,you have a LATHE or you're improving the product, so where's your expensive State Department license for "defense articles?" Including Nightforce scopes or other whatnot?
Oh, you don't have one? Here comes the State Department roving SWAT team....or the IRS inspectors.
Shrink the number of FFLs, then ATF gets to concentrate on those remaining.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
It is just one piece of the ever-expanding gun control agenda of the Democraps. Do you remember last year when the regime (through the State and Commerce Departments) came up with these asinine convoluted rules that required hunters who wished to take their rifles out of the country on a foreign hunt to register the rifles and obtain what basically amounted to an "export license" in order to legally take their rifles out of the country? Probably not, unless you hunt in Africa. The point is: The bastards keep probing and pushing and probing ... just see to see how far they can go, how much they can get away with, and whether there will be any public out-cry, and if so, how much. Luckily, with the hunting rifle exportation rules, the out-cry was swift and massive and those rules were schidt-canned. My hunch is that there will not be the same swift and massive out-cry over this ...BUT THERE SHOULD BE. This is just another component of the Democraps' "gun-grab."

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

62 members (14idaho, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 13 invisible), 1,440 guests, and 746 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,726
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.