Print Thread
Hop To
Page 39 of 150 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 149 150
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Otter6
We usually head to Cross Fork for a libation at Deb's when we are on Kettle fishing. Camp is just up the road from Wharton. Truly is God's country.

The mighty buba burger

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Like Marc said. Might not look like much,but the people and food are great. Blowing the froth off a few is good too after a morning on the creeks.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
M
MagMarc Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
One thing about those place you can always get a Yuengling!

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I keep a few black and tans and lagers around the house here. I keep coming back to Yuengling. Even with all the "craft" beers there are now.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
M
MagMarc Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
It's good and cheap.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
As a kid, saw a good many Krags, 94's and 99's. Dad and Unc sprung for Model 70's. Late 50's the 760 came along big in Pa and it lasted till perhaps till late 80 early 90.
Then the BA started to take hold.

Beer of choice was Iron City, Schmidts and PBR. Coors became big in the 70's. One group of guys went on a Colorado hunt and came back with a motorhome stuffed with Coors. People were begging for a can.

Craft bears consisted of throwing a shot of whisky into the beer glass and chugging it down.

Used to have a local mill joint that had a nightly special: 7 shots of Imperial and a small draft chaser. $1.00. In the mill town we moved to there was a legal bar in a persons house. You knocked on the door and they would let you in if they knew you. Up the steps next to the living room and someone usually watching tv. The bar was on the second floor. Room for about 10 people standing. No chairs. They turned the beer sign off at 2am, but didn't close the bar.

Last edited by battue; 07/31/16.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
We usually head to Cross Fork for a libation at Deb's when we are on Kettle fishing. Camp is just up the road from Wharton. Truly is God's country.

Wharton hotel still open? "Sporten at the Wharton"

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Yep,sure is. At least as of April.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
On my side of PA it was Yuengling. Yuengling lager was my brew of choice.
Battue, isn't your list missing Rolling Rock?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Seems as if few seriously drank RR. Have a few for regional pride and move on.

Last edited by battue; 07/31/16.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MagMarc
One thing about those place you can always get a Yuengling!

Like I did, you grew up in the then-land of schit beer as the South was truly that. As such, I can understand your appreciation of a decent, though not anything special, beer.

In through the 80s, the South had the extraordinary selection of beers that were summed up with this list:

Bud
Bud Light
Coors Light
Miller High Life
PBR
Old Milwaukee

If you were to have gone fishing with my father or any of his friends, one of those last three along with a sleeve of saltines and a can of potted meat and a flat of sardines would have been lunch. Every time, all the time.

In the 90s, Coors Original and Miller Genuine Draft were added and it was almost like manna from Heaven. Yuengling and Rolling Rock showed up about the same time, as did Fosters and the pseudo-Mexican beers (Corona and Dos Equis).

FINALLY, decent beers have come to the South and in fact are made in the South. I will give Yankee territory credit for that; they always had better beer until very recently. We had the better whisky, bourbon, and shine, but they had the beer.

Marc, if you haven't tried Sunken City Red Clay IPA (brewed near SML, named for the towns at the bottom of the lake), give it a try.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Clinton county which is next door has some "hills" that will make the western crowd realize they don't have exclusive rights on steep. Elevation yes, steep no.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by battue

Clinton county which is next door has some "hills" that will make the western crowd realize they don't have exclusive rights on steep. Elevation yes, steep no.

That's also true in the mountains of central and SW VA (Highland County isn't misnamed, and doesn't have a monopoly on steep), the mountains and gorges of WV, as well as the Smokies of NC and TN, and certainly the Adirondacks, Greens, and Whites of NY, VT, and NH.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
M
MagMarc Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
I tried Star Hill and Devil's Backbone IPAs, never again. I'm not an IPA drinker. Vienna Lager is more my speed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have never liked anything Starr Hill has brewed. The DB Schwatzbier and Baltic Porter are very nice, and the "Kilt Flasher" Scotch Ale is incredible. Their "Gold Leaf" lager ain't bad, either. If you get a chance, try Hardywood's Give Bock, Singel, or their Cream Ale. Oh, and for fans of the Genesee Cream Ale, the Hardywood stuff out of Richmond, VA is superb.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Why not just link this onto the afterbirth of a deer camp drivel?

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Wrapids

You've been drinking the water from the Petenwell again haven't ya?

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Don't like it; don't read it.

Pretty simple. A hearty GFY, to boot.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by 4ager

Don't like it; don't read it.

Pretty simple. A hearty GFY, to boot.

I don't read the "deer camp" stuff, but it spilled over.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by tzone

You've been drinking the water from the Petenwell again haven't ya?

Yeah, kinda reminds me of Budweiser.

Page 39 of 150 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 149 150

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

359 members (257_X_50, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 260madman, 41 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,860
Posts18,478,561
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.