Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Roundup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
With the prospect looming of the democrat nominee possibly assuming the presidency, by whatever means, and her advocacy of firearms confiscation, the big question is: How long are records kept on legal firearms purchases? What about those firearms one may have prior to the registration process?

It appears to me that gun owners probably face the biggest threat to have their civil rights violated on a mass scale on search and seizure and violation of their 2nd Amendment rights.

I don't believe that the vast majority of gun owners who legally possess firearms would willingly give up a legally owned firearms, as happened in Australia, where they had no 2nd amendment protection.

What's your take on this?

ROUNDUP

Happy Trails!
NRA Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I suspect that all records acquired since background checks were initiated are still available. It's not in the nature of government to throw anything away.

1Minute
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
From the ATF:

All FFLs shall retain each Form 4473 and 4473(LV) for a period not less than 20 years from the date of sale or disposition of the firearms. Forms 4473 obtained by FFLs where the NICS check was initiated, but the sale, delivery, or transfer of the firearm was not completed must be retained for a period of not less than 5 years.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
The government does not get the 4473 unless the ffl goes out of business and then they have to send them in. I don't know how long they keep them from there.

Recently, I heard when a ffl calls in for authorization to sell, the batf has to destroy those records in 2 years if no crime was traced to the gun. But they don't.

That does leave it a little in the air.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RickyD
Recently, I heard when a ffl calls in for authorization to sell, the batf has to destroy those records in 2 years if no crime was traced to the gun. But they don't.

The ATF isn't involved with background checks. Those go to the FBI, and don't involve any gun or serial number information. It's just a check on YOU to see if you can buy any gun.

On allowed transactions, I believe the FBI is supposed to remove identifying information from the system within 24 hours. On transactions that are denied or open, they can keep them longer.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
All govt. agencies only do what the laws allow. Bwa..Ha..Ha..
I crack myself up sometimes. laugh laugh laugh

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Does it really matter? If you've ever bought a gun legally. If you've ever had a subscription to a gun magazine, or an NRA membership. If you've ever been on a gun forum, or ever bought anything gun related online. If you've ever bought ammunition with a credit card.

When confiscation time comes, YOU WILL GET A KNOCK!!!

That's why I laugh when people say they want "off paper" guns. I just wonder what they think they're getting away with.

Here's what it comes down to...it's really simple.

When the knock comes:

1 - You'll surrender your guns
2 - You won't surrender your guns

The paper trail is quite irrelevant, and quite honestly the LEAST of your worries if they're confiscating guns.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I agree on the above.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I don't know about you, but I might have a boating accident they might fall overboard.

I just have to get a boat first.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1minute
I suspect that all records acquired since background checks were initiated are still available. It's not in the nature of government to throw anything away.

you damn right they are.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Won't mean they won't come looking.

What good does a gun do me if I can't use it.... enjoy it....

Buried and hidden its typically of very little use...

Stand up for your rights when the day arrives.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Does it really matter? If you've ever bought a gun legally. If you've ever had a subscription to a gun magazine, or an NRA membership. If you've ever been on a gun forum, or ever bought anything gun related online. If you've ever bought ammunition with a credit card.

When confiscation time comes, YOU WILL GET A KNOCK!!!

That's why I laugh when people say they want "off paper" guns. I just wonder what they think they're getting away with.

Here's what it comes down to...it's really simple.

When the knock comes:

1 - You'll surrender your guns
2 - You won't surrender your guns

The paper trail is quite irrelevant, and quite honestly the LEAST of your worries if they're confiscating guns.

--------------------------------

BATF - so Mr. Jones we have a list here that says you have a mini-14, a marlin, a savage 110 and Taurus .357

me- no I sold them at a gun show

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
I don't know about you, but I might have a boating accident they might fall overboard.

I just have to get a boat first.

I lost all of my guns that way, then my boat sank......... crazy

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
no matter what they say they are keep forever

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Since 1968 and the passage of GCA:

Dealers keep a copy of 4473s as long as they operate.
That includes C and R licensees.
Once the license is surrendered or expired, then the paper records are supposed to go to ATF for storage.

At the same time, manufacturers keep a record of what guns were made and where shipped (to FFL or govt agency). That makes it possible to "trace" to point of sale and original purchaser.

However, after the original sale, it gets more difficult because the next dealer (and paper record) is unknown. So tracing usually only works for new guns bought at retail legally. After that, there's a thin trail if any to follow.

Gun haters HATE that. They'd like a little beacon that would light up every evil owner, right? So they want to take all those 4473s and put them in a nice database. Part of their logic is -- when you and I take a gun that has been through several hands down to our dealer to trade in, when that thing goes out the dealer's door, there's another 4473 filed, to eventually go to ATF's repository.

So, a Model 70 that never touched a 4473 since Jack O Connor's buddy bought it in 1949, is now back in the stream of commerce record. Or, if private sales or family transfers need paper -- EVERY gun will be back into the immediate circle of known transactions with known buyers.

So the control freaks want a 4473 of every transaction of every person now. Once they have that, of course they will continue to push for a "database" and then, push to "use the information in the database to keep children SAFE" and then to "find and punish gun addicts" et cetera.

So all this crap about universal background checks is aimed at getting "floaters" or "ghost guns" AND THEIR CURRENT OWNERS back into the information pool.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GunGeek

Well, geek, maybe people like "off paper guns" because they don't feel like filling out the goobermints stupid piece of [bleep] 4473 passive firearm registry documentation - and that's their small way of given the man the finger?

Maybe they just don't want the government, even a stupid piece of regulatory red tape in their [bleep] business?

Maybe its not always how you wonder about things, eh?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Since 1968 and the passage of GCA:

Dealers keep a copy of 4473s as long as they operate.
That includes C and R licensees.
Once the license is surrendered or expired, then the paper records are supposed to go to ATF for storage.

First, C&R licensees never use 4473's for guns they sell.
Second, C&R licensees never have to send any records in to the ATF when they let their license expire.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 1minute
Except emails.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I think they are allowed to keep the records for three years. After that, if you are not suspected of a crime, they are required to delete the data. They likely simply ignore these requirements, however, as the rule of law has largely been abrogated in the US.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I know a guy cool who has off paper firearms that fire some of the same ammo as his on paper firearms.
That's the reason he buys some junkers on paper.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (7mm_Loco, AnthonyB, 338Rules, 6MMWASP, 10 invisible), 1,458 guests, and 846 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,083
Posts18,501,664
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.