Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by akpls
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
What was wrong with AK?
Start with a few weeks of -40 or colder every winter. When you're young it's an adventure. When you get older it's not so much fun anymore.

They were in SouthCentral, those temps do not happen here.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
tikkanut,

I agree. I'll be back up your way come general buck season. I was lucky to get a tag. Even the general season mule deer drawings produce huge racks if you know where to look. I've hunted Boulder Mountain for 30 years. BTW, what lake is in your photo? I might just spend the entire month of October in Utah fishing and hunting big bucks.

I've hunted four Rocky Mountain states. Utah is by far the most beautiful with Wyoming a close second. HWY 12 is beyond gorgeous.

Utah people are extremely friendly, but I wouldn't cross 'em. A fella could end up permanently missing that way. I always try to patronize local businesses because many of the smaller towns suffer from poor economies. And I have never, ever been a victim of any type of crime while I've been in Utah. On my last elk hunt there, I left my Sako rifle outside all night. I knew that it was safer outside at night in Utah than it is at home in So Cal locked in my gun safe.

Utah has huge everything, but getting drawn in another story. I did manage to draw for what most elk hunters know as the best trophy bull elk unit in the nation. I killed a ten-year-old monster. Now if I can get into one of the two top trophy mule deer units in the nation, I'll be happy.

Some 25 years ago or more, Utah's Division of Wildlife Resources committed to grooming trophy herds of the '60's. It sure looks like your wildlife biologists know what they're doing.

The most beautiful state I've been is California. We have stunningly gorgeous Sierra Nevada Mountains, and spectacular vistas of the Pacific Coast. Laguna Beach is one of the most beautiful beaches and cleanest and crime-free in the USA, and it's close to me. There is no way I could afford to live there. The central coast along US 101 is breathtaking. But...CA politics has transformed what might be the prettiest state in the union to the ugliest. I cannot stand the political culture of this state. Every single statewide office is held by a Democrat.

If I were to move, I'd look in to Cedar City, UT. It's only about a 7 hour drive to So Cal beaches. And Utah is a free state. CA regulates us one way or another 24/7/365. The politics of this state make its phenomenal weather feel like constant freeze. We're limited to types of handguns we can buy. If gun confiscation occurs in the USA, CA will be the first state it's implemented.

Probably the four things I'd miss most were I to move from So Cal are the amazingly gorgeous women (chicks walk on PCH in thong bikinis), endless summers, convenience to everything from sporting events to concerts to cultural events (I'm immune from rarefied cultural; e.g., theater and Getty Museum) and shopping, and, of course, fishing: the Eastern Sierra for trout and offshore for huge tuna.

I hope we cross paths this October. I'll buy breakfast.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by SU35
Lake Chelan

Beautiful area, horrible politics forced on folks from those to the west...

Prezactly. Another problem is the price of land. My inlaws bought 30 acres on top of a mountain with a 180 degree view of the lake in 1996 for $120,000. They just sold 10 unused acres for $500,000. Raw land, no improvements and the buyer has gone 500+ feet and still hasn't found enough water to fill the big swimming pool they have planned. Our little cabin on the lake we purchased for $80,000. It was recently listed for $469,000.

Bring lots of money if lake Chelan is your huckleberry. Good hunting and lots of bighorns and mountain goats up lake. I have been applying for over a decade and am intimately familiar with the area.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Joel/AK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yes, I will need to work. Been a heavy equipment mechanic for 24 years and currently rebuilding some models of allison transmissions. We are financially secure but I still gotta work.

My idea of a small town we like is maybe a blinking red light, neighbors still help each other, etc.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's like most places in Obungholes world, you gotta bring your own job or you'll most likely struggle to find work.

Another vote for NE Oregon. Problem is 1) work 2) they're not stupid, they don't welcome anyone from outside

LOL
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
(Texas)

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Joel/AK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Texas is way to hot for me. NoCal was brought up but it's still attached to SoCal.

I totally understand the outsider mentality, been there.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SakoAV
tikkanut,

I agree. I'll be back up your way come general buck season. I was lucky to get a tag. Even the general season mule deer drawings produce huge racks if you know where to look. I've hunted Boulder Mountain for 30 years. BTW, what lake is in your photo? I might just spend the entire month of October in Utah fishing and hunting big bucks.

I've hunted four Rocky Mountain states. Utah is by far the most beautiful with Wyoming a close second. HWY 12 is beyond gorgeous.

Utah people are extremely friendly, but I wouldn't cross 'em. A fella could end up permanently missing that way. I always try to patronize local businesses because many of the smaller towns suffer from poor economies. And I have never, ever been a victim of any type of crime while I've been in Utah. On my last elk hunt there, I left my Sako rifle outside all night. I knew that it was safer outside at night in Utah than it is at home in So Cal locked in my gun safe.

Utah has huge everything, but getting drawn in another story. I did manage to draw for what most elk hunters know as the best trophy bull elk unit in the nation. I killed a ten-year-old monster. Now if I can get into one of the two top trophy mule deer units in the nation, I'll be happy.

Some 25 years ago or more, Utah's Division of Wildlife Resources committed to grooming trophy herds of the '60's. It sure looks like your wildlife biologists know what they're doing.

The most beautiful state I've been is California. We have stunningly gorgeous Sierra Nevada Mountains, and spectacular vistas of the Pacific Coast. Laguna Beach is one of the most beautiful beaches and cleanest and crime-free in the USA, and it's close to me. There is no way I could afford to live there. The central coast along US 101 is breathtaking. But...CA politics has transformed what might be the prettiest state in the union to the ugliest. I cannot stand the political culture of this state. Every single statewide office is held by a Democrat.

If I were to move, I'd look in to Cedar City, UT. It's only about a 7 hour drive to So Cal beaches. And Utah is a free state. CA regulates us one way or another 24/7/365. The politics of this state make its phenomenal weather feel like constant freeze. We're limited to types of handguns we can buy. If gun confiscation occurs in the USA, CA will be the first state it's implemented.

Probably the four things I'd miss most were I to move from So Cal are the amazingly gorgeous women (chicks walk on PCH in thong bikinis), endless summers, convenience to everything from sporting events to concerts to cultural events (I'm immune from rarefied cultural; e.g., theater and Getty Museum) and shopping, and, of course, fishing: the Eastern Sierra for trout and offshore for huge tuna.

All of this is patently false. Utah is a dry, dusty, miserable place. There are millions of people, no alcoholic beverages and the traffic is worse than it ever was.

Also, if you drive a vehicle with California plates and the locals figure out that you have been encouraging people to move to or hunt in Utah, they will abduct and sell you to a polygamist colony in the desert, where you will be forced to become a 'plural wife'.

I highly recommend Texas. El Paso has some nice mountains.

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
Yes, I will need to work. Been a heavy equipment mechanic for 24 years and currently rebuilding some models of allison transmissions. We are financially secure but I still gotta work.

My idea of a small town we like is maybe a blinking red light, neighbors still help each other, etc.

As a heavy equipment mechanic, you would be welcome anywhere in Eastern Washington or the Idaho Panhandle. If I had your qualifications I would seriously look at the Idaho Panhandle North Of Cour de lane. There are a number of small towns North of the I-90 corridor with world-class hunting and fishing opportunities and if push came to shove you could always do the commute from the Panhandle to Spokane for work.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Texas is way to hot for me. NoCal was brought up but it's still attached to SoCal.

I totally understand the outsider mentality, been there.

If you're a good conservative, come on over. We'll send a lib to Texas in your place.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
IC B3

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F

Joel have you looked at the UP? By Houghton there are as big of mountains as Michigan gets and it isn't very populated. You can also find jobs if you are a heavy equipment mechanic there are always places hiring. It doesn't get as Cold but you still get winter and your dollars will go far there for everything.

Otherwise I Lived in Havre, MT for awhile and liked it. Small with good hunting around and for your profession there are good jobs to be had. With your budget you should be able to afford a nice place to call your own. I would Strongly advised avoiding North Dakota I lived there almost 5 years and don't miss it.

Just my .02

Joel/AK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Flannelman

Joel have you looked at the UP? By Houghton there are as big of mountains as Michigan gets and it isn't very populated. You can also find jobs if you are a heavy equipment mechanic there are always places hiring. It doesn't get as Cold but you still get winter and your dollars will go far there for everything.

Otherwise I Lived in Havre, MT for awhile and liked it. Small with good hunting around and for your profession there are good jobs to be had. With your budget you should be able to afford a nice place to call your own. I would Strongly advised avoiding North Dakota I lived there almost 5 years and don't miss it.

Just my .02

I still look in the UP and northern LP but I do not like MI laws. I don't like going to the sheriff to ask if I can buy a handgun. It would make it easier for my family issues I have but if I can work those out I'm outta this state.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
RE: All those posts that say AK SUCKS!

So as an Air Traffic Controller I'm thinking of a change of scenery, this was back around 2004/5.

Well a bid comes out for GUAM Cerap. So I look into it.

I manage to get hold of a controller working the midshift, and start axing questions.

He says; 'this place sucks, a sack of groceries is $40, the schools suck everyone here sends their kids to live with family in the states, the beaches SUCK they are all owned by the Japanese Hotels, the place is overrun with Japanese on vacation, houseing SUCKS if you can find it it's $2000 a month rent, the electric company SUCKS, he and his girlfriend went to the Philipines for two weeks the power was on the whole time, GUAM Power and Light is off for a least two hours EVERYDAY, did I say that this place SUCKS. I'm out here in two months and can't wait to get back where I belong'

Where's home, I ask.

ANCHORAGE, AK!

Now when a South Pacific Tropical Island makes Alaska look good.....it can't suck too bad!

Just sayin'.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Joel/AK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
AK only sucks if your a liberal wanting to move there. My wife is looking into SE AK. Just to get back home.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Quite a number of those type of places in E.WA, N. ID, and guessing from what I've seen MT and other western states.

Because you have equipment mechanic experience and wish to work some, farming areas might be a good place to look.

Pomeroy WA, near me has NO stoplights, and it's a county seat.

Colfax, near me also, has two lights I think. Plummer, Graingeville, etc ID, also have small town living conditions with possibilities of work for you....... and the list could go on for a while.

Good luck, Lots of cool places out here.

Personally, I'm thinking, if you're young enough to be here on this planet for 20 or so more years, WA might be something to stay away from. I'm of the opinion, based on what I've seen here since 2009, it's going to get very "blue" in regards to 2A stuff in a few years.

ID might be a better fit, I think they've got a few more decades before they have serious issues.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
AK only sucks if your a liberal wanting to move there. My wife is looking into SE AK. Just to get back home.

SE would be the way to go. If I didn't need city employment, that's where I'd head.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you understand Alaska, Montana should be a pretty good fit. I spent cowledge summer in Alaska and it was like I'd never left home culturally. But then again, I was in Alaska because that's where the money and jobs happened to be -- not in Montana.
But you have a skill set that Montana certainly could use. Good diesel/heavy mechanics are eminently employable.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
If I were able to if head to Bufflao,Sheridan,Dayton Wyoming area

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by ChetAF
Originally Posted by SakoAV
tikkanut,

All of this is patently false. Utah is a dry, dusty, miserable place. There are millions of people, no alcoholic beverages and the traffic is worse than it ever was.

Also, if you drive a vehicle with California plates and the locals figure out that you have been encouraging people to move to or hunt in Utah, they will abduct and sell you to a polygamist colony in the desert, where you will be forced to become a 'plural wife'.

I highly recommend Texas. El Paso has some nice mountains.

Oh darn it, Chet, did I write Utah? Oh no. My bad. I meant New York: Central Park, Manhattan specifically ;-)

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by JerradPelzer
If I were able to if head to Bufflao,Sheridan,Dayton Wyoming area

Shhhhhhh..... No jobs, and.......... oh heck come here. Even when I got laid off I found a job the next day. It's not the easiest job but hey I do not need a lot to live on.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (160user, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 57 invisible), 2,699 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,775
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.