Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
BTW while talking about eating, we should note some folks won't eat MREs, think they are the end of hte world and almost the same with freeze dry. Instant milk, instant potatoes and so on..

Lets just say I"m not quite that picky. Food is food mostly as long as it isn't bad tasting, I"m not picky past that point.

Cut wild hogs have been great.

RE knives... you don't need a sharpener or multiples, you need a havalon...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB4

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We put 3-5 in the freezer every year, mostly 65-125 lb pigs. Like they said, the meat is leaner and there is not as much on the animal as the domestic pigs. On the larger pigs we debone and then using a slicer, slice the meat about 3/8" thick into steaks. The smaller pigs, we will leave the hams and backstrap whole and cook them on the grill or smoker. Taste great.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Gus
if a male is knocked down we cut him immediately. some folks say it doesn't help at all.

Seems to me that is sort of like cutting a deer's throat to bleed it after its dead, or cutting the tarsal glands off.

I've cleaned a grand total of one wild hog. I think if I was going to make a habit of it, I would get a 3000 psi pressure washer, hang the hog up and wash the heck out of it before I made the first cut. Hogs pee on themselves and wallow in their own filth and no telling what else. I can guess that guys sometimes get all kind of funk on the meat while they are cleaning them which may account for at least some of the variability of stories you hear about the quality of the end product....but that is only a guess. It just makes sense that a young sow would give you the best eating.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
We've seen "country boys" at a small town carwash with a couple of hogs (dead) in the back of a pickup truck!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use my pressure washer to clean them before skinning. It's just one of those Wally World electric models, but it does the trick.

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Gus

if a male is knocked down we cut him immediately. some folks say it doesn't help at all.

I think it helped in the 70's.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My group caught 16 hogs this year trapping this spring. Saved the straps and tenderloins put the rest in sausage. Best sausage ive ever eaten!

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by TLB2
Best sausage ive ever eaten!

That's what she said...

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The old saying "You are what you eat" is spot on for hogs. I've shot some that their diet consisted solely of what they could forage on salt water coastal islands. To say the meat was vile would be an understatement. Kill one that's been feeding on acorns, hickory nuts, and ideally corn, and the difference is like night and day. We used to catch them when they were small, and put them in a pen for a few months, feeding them corn. At slaughter time, you could not find better meat.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'll be hunting in lowland South Carolina this fall and can shoot pigs where I'll be.

Sounds like that might be a decent area to kill a pig for eating? Would likely be in agricultural land and hardwoods, from what I can tell.

Look for one the size of a labrador and let 'er rip?

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tddeangelo

One hell...

Kill 'em all. cool

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Anybody think the taste could reflect their health at the time they were killed ?
Say a pig was sick from disease that was kicking in when killed ?

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've killed one that was skin-n-bones, let it lay. Same way with deer. If they aren't in good shape, they stay in the woods.

HH- We use to catch them and feed them out, but now there is so many, that it really isnt necessary. Most of the pigs I get come from the Red River bottom-- corn fields as far as you can see.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by tddeangelo

One hell...

Kill 'em all. cool

LOL!

I do have a new-to-me M1A...... wink

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I shoot 'em and let something else eat them. Not me.

Wild hog diseases and parasites are pretty scary. There's too much good meat to eat to risk it for me... wink

Diseases that are transmissible from animals to humans are called zoonotic diseases. Many of these diseases are transmitted through contact with bodily fluids and handling or ingestion of infected tissues. Diseases can also be transmitted indirectly through contaminated water sources and possibly, through ticks. Zoonotic diseases transmissible by wild pigs include
•Leptospirosis
•Brucellosis
•E. coli
•Salmonellosis
•Toxoplasmosis
•Rabies
•Swine Influenza viruses
•Trichinosis
•Giardiasis
•Cryptosporidiosis

Disease Prevention

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." Follow these simple measures to avoid infection when handling or field dressing wild pigs:
1.Wear latex or nitrile gloves; pathogens can enter the body through cuts on hands or torn cuticles.
2.Avoid splashing body fluids into your eyes or mouth.
3.Wash your hands thoroughly after field dressing and processing meat, even if you wear gloves.
4.Thoroughly clean and disinfect work areas and tools used to dress and butcher wild pigs.
5.Dispose of animal remains, used gloves, and other materials properly. Animal remains should not be left for scavengers, nor should they be fed to dogs. Depending upon your jurisdiction, several methods of appropriate disposal may be considered. Check with your local health department or state wildlife agency.
6.Follow correct refrigeration, freezing, and cooking methods. Freezing to 0°F will render bacteria inactive but will not destroy them; once thawed, bacteria can again become active. Also, do not rely on home freezing to destroy Trichina and other parasites. Thorough cooking will destroy all parasites and kill bacteria. Cook wild pork to an internal temperature of 165°F to 170°F.

best post, shoot them and let em lay they are vermin for the most part. Kill em all..

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have hunted wild hog quite a bit. I have killed 14 of them and been with my buddies when they killed 25 or 30 more.
Wild hog is the best meat I ever have eaten. If I had a shot at a 120 pound wild sow I would let an 8 pointer walk, and never think twice about it.

Wild hog tastes great and had half of the fat of domestic pork.

DO NOT shoot a big boar. My buddy killed a 450 pound monster and the meat was not edible. The meat stunk.
I did kill a 120 pound boar once and the meat was pretty good, but not as good as a sow.

"•Leptospirosis
•Brucellosis
•E. coli
•Salmonellosis
•Toxoplasmosis
•Rabies
•Swine Influenza viruses
•Trichinosis
•Giardiasis
•Cryptosporidiosis"

This list of diseases that can supposedly be transmitted from the hog to humans is a bunch of bs.

E. coli? That is found in the intestines of any animal, including deer and humans. If you get crap from the intestines onto the meat it will make you sick. NO KIDDING.

Trichinosis? This is only found in domestic hogs that feed on garbage.

Swine flu? That is utter bs, give me a break.

I helped clean over 40 wild hogs and we never wore gloves, we cleaned 'em just like we did deer, never hosed one down. Sure their hide is dirty, muddy, but I wasn't going to eat the hide.

The scare stories on this thread are amusing to me as an experienced hog hunter.

Last edited by simonkenton7; 08/08/16.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Look under Ask the Gunwriters, best hog gun, We kill a couple hundred every year, we posted some of them. We cook a 30-40lb pig once in awhile. It aint nothing I'd drive to Texas for. Save your money, buy a calf with someone and have it butcherd. Just my opinion.

Last edited by hanco; 08/08/16.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I know plenty of people that catch and pen them. I just shoot them and drag them off for something else to eat them. They will fugg up a good deer hunting area.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Hogs taste good if they eat good. Humans do too allegedly. In the 1960s a visitor to the Belgian Congo asked why every man over the age of ten seemed to not only be a smoker but a five pack a day chain smoker. He was informed that it was because smoking made the meat taste bad and the cannibals would leave smokers alone.

There is a reason humans were called The Big Pig.

Last edited by JoeBob; 08/08/16.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
That is absolutely the only good reason to be a smoker that I have ever heard!!!

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 12savage, 10ring1, 66 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 1,345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,912
Posts18,479,552
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.