Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Pretty simple here.

If it (the meat) is rank/rotten, dont eat it. Pretty much like whatever else youve harvested.

Ive had meat from 400 pound boars down to piglets and Ive never had a bad one.

I have had food poisoning from a five star restaurant, never wore a helmet while riding a bike and drive on a sheet of ice several times a year.

The odds may scare you of how dangerous life is "outside".

Fill up the tub with kitty litter; its gonna be a long ride.

GB4

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
My buddies and I killed and butchered around 45 wild hogs in central Georgia and we ate them all, except for the 450 pound boar, the meat from that monster was nasty! Stunk!

We ate all the other ones and the taste was great.
We never used gloves, or took any other precautions, we processed the hogs same way we processed the hundreds of deer we killed.

Nobody ever got sick.

Now, on this thread, I am hearing that it is a miracle that I still am breathing air! All these nasty diseases that hogs supposedly will transmit to humans!

Do not deer and elk also pose similar dangers to humans?
I wish y'all would inform the forum of the dangers posed by these antlered animals.

Last edited by simonkenton7; 08/09/16.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
First and foremost, you have to recognize that wild pigs are not domestic pigs. They have not lived a short life eating grain in a pen. They run, fight and forage for a living. Even a fat one does not have fat throughout the meat like domestic pork, only around the meat, under the skin. Like anything else, their condition and environment dictates how they will taste. The difference between the sexes has been covered pretty well and I will add that boars are leaner and harder to skin than sows because all the fighting and roaming that they do.

Comparing wild pork to domestic pork is much like comparing wild duck to domestic. There really is not much comparison, but it doesn't mean it's bad, you just have to understand it's different and know what you're doing.

I've handled hundreds without any ill effect.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The big boars at the Ranch, we leave em lay and shoot coyotes off of the carcass.
We cut up the medium to small size sows for BBQ.

Like others mentioned, if the meat stinks bad, we leave em lay.

My little brother prefers the little football sized ones for rotisserie grilling.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by ltppowell
First and foremost, you have to recognize that wild pigs are not domestic pigs. They have not lived a short life eating grain in a pen. They run, fight and forage for a living. Even a fat one does not have fat throughout the meat like domestic pork, only around the meat, under the skin. Like anything else, their condition and environment dictates how they will taste. The difference between the sexes has been covered pretty well and I will add that boars are leaner and harder to skin than sows because all the fighting and roaming that they do.

Comparing wild pork to domestic pork is much like comparing wild duck to domestic. There really is not much comparison, but it doesn't mean it's bad, you just have to understand it's different and know what you're doing.

I've handled hundreds without any ill effect.

This thread is also a reminder of how many Ive heard say antelope stinks or the meat is bad......

If I shot a rutted up boar (and have), the first inclination is that the whole thing stinks. Yes, the whole thing can stink.

I do own more than one knife and the notion that domestic animals do not suffer smells into the meat is even funnier.

I recommend one of Eileen Clarke's books if you're a novice at wild game preparation, but anyone who feeds out and butchers even domestic meat can be a help.

Cooking it also differs from domestic, but people have been doing so for centuries.

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Damn pigs are nasty

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
on the javalina. You have to be careful skinning to keep the hair off the meat. You have to be careful and get rid of the scent gland not touching the meat.
we have boned them, then soaked the meat in buttermilk for several days. then mixed with pork and made into barbeque.

Did this once and invited people over, one comment was that was the best barbeque i ever ate, what was it? My answer was rodent. Took the mood away.
basically what i am getting at is it's common to hear havalina isn't any good. Not so, but its in how you take care of it.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A young boar running with sows will stink worse than a big old rouge boar that's hanging out by himself.

Also...... a dead hog will not dissipate the heat from his internal organs like a thin skinned animal such as deer. I gut them where they fall, within ten minutes of the shot.

I've gutted a couple for hunters after laying out in below freezing weather for over four hours and the hot gas boiled up out of 'em as soon as I opened them up. In hot weather you can damn near see them swelling up after only thirty minutes or so.

They can make pretty fair sausage but I don't much care for them any other way.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1minute, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 1234, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 56 invisible), 2,218 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,926
Posts18,479,827
Members73,953
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.