-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ketchikan is our first stop on the way into AK on next summers trip.

I'd like to take my family of 4 on a salmon+halibut trip while there. Specifically, I'd like to load up on fish to eat for the following ~month or so.

We will arrive in Ketchikan around July 1. Should be good king fishing around then, from what I've read.

Can yall offer a recommendation on a charter boat to take?

thanks in advance,

shane

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Calvin.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Calvin is a pretty far piece from Ketch...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I know but there are boats wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Sam Dalin out of Ketchikan. Stay away from cruise ship charters IMO, as they don't do the runs that the better operations do. The highliners out of Ketchikan will run across to the southern end of POW most likely, unless things are good at Ktown. They might be abel to get you a bunch of cohos on July 1st too. Good luck.

A solid day would be 75-120lbs of fillets for that time of the year, for a group of 4. If your get a guide who gets you your kings, good halibut, yellow eye, and ling that is, which would probably require a run to the S end of POW, but I don't fish much over there. If cohos are around, thats a big bonus for meat. Sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't.

Last edited by Calvin; 08/06/16.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
exactly what I was asking for. smile

thanks a ton, Calvin.

I will try to find contact info for Sam Dalin.

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just got back from Ketch myself...fished Aug 2-4.

I know a guide at Clover Pass Resort, and he hooked us up. Below was an average day at the "cape" on the south end of POW, but the weather cooperated for us 2 of our 4 fishing days. All bets are off if the weather kicks up. There's decent fishing on the Ketchikan side of the passage though, if you have to stay close to shore which we had to do the other 2 of the 4 days I was fishing..

The silvers were running good for us, and we hit the pink invasion though we did catch some kings. If you're there in June, you'll likely have better king luck, but fewer silvers.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Are you on a cruise or traveling independently? I could send you 4-5 names of guys who do the run Calvin is talking about. You need a full day charter though for that trip.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
We're taking the ferry up from Prince Rupert, and getting off to spend about 3 days in Ketchikan.

after our stay in Ketch, we plan to move up to Petersburg, then Juneau, then on to Haines. We'll spend abotu 3 days in each of those towns before moving to the next.

any insight is MUCH appreciated.

We're spending about 8 weeks on the trip in total. At the end of the trip, I'm selling my camper and truck, and flying back to TX.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

152 members (10Glocks, 44mc, AlleghenyMountain, 7887mm08, 35, 17 invisible), 1,801 guests, and 857 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,514,974
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.