-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In 1972 was moving back here from Florida, stopped at the West Campground in Yellowstone couldn't sleep so I decided to drive on. Made it to the North Campground at about one AM and saw a cougar at the entrance to the Campground with people sleeping in the Campground without a clue as to what was lurking near them.

A couple of years ago on a Memorial Day weekend came home to find the neighbors standing in the road in front of the house watching a cat trying to get our Siamese Cat hiding up under the hood of an old Ford P/U in our back yard with the Sheriff's two grandkids playing in their yard next door.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
This should be the law in every state:

"Mountain lions....No closed season. These animals may be hunted at any time by any lawful means or methods on private property. Public hunting lands may have restrictions. A hunting license is required....Mountain lions are not protected and can be harvested at any time."

http://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/hunting/nongame-and-other-species

Gotta' love the conservation ethic here on the Campfire.........

Casey

You're okay with lions taking an occasional child? All the animals in the world aren't worth the child of a reasonable couple. And yes, I exclude certain as unreasonable.

Of course I'm not okay with it, you idjit. But then again we should get rid of all those bison that kill and injure more people than any predator in Yellowstone. Or kill all wildlife because they carry disease and a child might contract it and die because of those disease ridden critters.

Our high country place is covered up with bears and sometimes cougars--learn how to live with them, they're an imprtant part of the landscape.

Go back to polishing your Tasco's on the couch.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

When I worked on a cougar study in the 80's folks were always surprised when we told them we routinely tracked cougars inside of city limits. They crossed the valley often.

Very few people ever saw one.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Mountain lions are actually "SEEN" so rarely around here, that a shoot on site policy wouldn't even dent the population.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
alpinecrick,

Of course I'm not okay with it, you idjit. But then again we should get rid of all those bison that kill and injure more people than any predator in Yellowstone. Or kill all wildlife because they carry disease and a child might contract it and die because of those disease ridden critters.

Our high country place is covered up with bears and sometimes cougars--learn how to live with them, they're an imprtant part of the landscape.

Casey

When people don't have a good argument they resort to ad hominem attacks and other illogical arguments.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Couple years ago I came up on one at near spitting distance. Fugger looked huge.

It was snowing big fat flakes and eerily quite. I just kinda saw it standing in a grown over two track off to my left out of the corner of my eye. I stopped and turned and I think we both about schist ourselves at the same time.

It jumped nearly straight up and just flat disappeared. I was staring straight at it and couldn't tell you which way it went.

I need to try calling one in this fall.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like my wilds, wild. I'm glad we have wolves, bears and lions.

You should be more nervous driving/flying to camp than of the animals once you get there.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Just because an animal is scary or has the potential to harm a child doesn't mean they should be extirpated. I like the wild places because they're wild. I'd prefer to take my chances out among the lions and tigers and bears than I would in Milwaukee or Chicago.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ringman
alpinecrick,

Casey

When people don't have a good argument they resort to ad hominem attacks and other illogical arguments.

that other expert on wildlife Tim Treadwell had the same cum bi yah , let the fuzzy little aminals alone mentality. graduate from a liberal arts and sciences collage and the rest of us are , what was it Idjit's?

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

When I worked on a cougar study in the 80's folks were always surprise when we told them we routinely tracked cougars inside of city limits. They crossed the valley often.

Very few people ever saw one.

Casey

We had one appear in our metropolitan area a few years ago frequenting a golf course & adjacent soccer field. There was no wilderness of any sort for hundreds of miles in any direction.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I've only ever seen one in the wild. It was on Apache ground while turkey hunting. Ran into one of the tribal game cops and mentioned seeing one.

He asked 'Did you shoot it?' We said no, we didn't have a permit for that. He said 'If you see one again, kill it'

Typical story of smart indian, dumb fu cking white guy..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Just because an animal is scary or has the potential to harm a child doesn't mean they should be extirpated. I like the wild places because they're wild. I'd prefer to take my chances out among the lions and tigers and bears than I would in Milwaukee or Chicago.

Me too!

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Texas is like a giant petting zoo. Never know wtf you're going to see!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Just like Wallmart. eek

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I've only ever seen one in the wild. It was on Apache ground while turkey hunting. Ran into one of the tribal game cops and mentioned seeing one.

He asked 'Did you shoot it?' We said no, we didn't have a permit for that. He said 'If you see one again, kill it'

Typical story of smart indian, dumb fu cking white guy..

I'm sure you have experience in the latter.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Scott F
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Just like Wallmart. eek

I would pet a Mountian Lion before I would pet some of the girls I see in Walmaet.

MOLON LABE
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Bears don't bother me, mountains lions DO.

Should be the other way around.

It ain't. I don't blame animals for being animals, just as I have no reason to go out of my way destroy them.

I also don't like having to show more justification in shooting a critter than I do a person when threatened.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Bottom line,glad the little kid is OK.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This place sometimes amazes me. I thread started about a child being attacked by a wild animal goes straight downhill to personal insults.

I understand why so many great people who added a lot to the Fire had left.

Not aimed at you Steelhead.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I know, I figure there are a few boys on here that are still living in caves the very mention of a big pussy gets them horned up.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 1936M71, 160user, 1minute, 61 invisible), 2,461 guests, and 1,435 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,173
Posts18,484,607
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.