Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Ringman
alpinecrick,

Of course I'm not okay with it, you idjit. But then again we should get rid of all those bison that kill and injure more people than any predator in Yellowstone. Or kill all wildlife because they carry disease and a child might contract it and die because of those disease ridden critters.

Our high country place is covered up with bears and sometimes cougars--learn how to live with them, they're an imprtant part of the landscape.

Go back to polishing your Tasco's on the couch.

Casey

When people don't have a good argument they resort to ad hominem attacks and other illogical arguments.

In the face of a dumbazz accusation, deservedly so........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

If you go to MAPS and look at NW Iowa you can see it is intensively cultivated farmland with little cover outside of small river bottoms. In one of these river bottoms west of Rock Valley, Iowa, a 180-lb male was taken after a deer hunter saw it on his trail camera. There is no season on the cats nor protection and he went back with a AR and took the large cat. This is not the only cat taken in this corn and soybean country.

Further south, in the Loess Hills, during a deer drive, a land owner on a ridge watched a big cat sneak unseen and unheard within twenty feet of and past his son who was sitting in a bottom crossing.

I'm beginning to think they are like mice--figure there are ten more for every one witnessed.

Glad the little one is ok.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Anaconda
Originally Posted by Scott F
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Texas is like a giant petting zoo. Never know wtf you're going to see!

Just like Wallmart. eek

I would pet a Mountian Lion before I would pet some of the girls I see in Walmaet.

Me too!

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I know, I figure there are a few boys on here that are still living in caves the very mention of a big pussy gets them horned up.

laugh laugh laugh

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I good friend and former Fire member and I were coyote hunting in Central Oregon canyon country. I put him on a stand and crossed over a small ridge to start calling. He shouted out at me right away. When I got back he was on his stand and looking a little pail. Seems I walked within ten feet of a cougar laying under a juniper tree. The lion got up after I passed and walked behind the tree and never showed up again. He was pail but not shaking. He is the kind of guy I like having at my back.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fairly sure I had a lion close to me, while deer hunting in the Sierras. Smelled a strong musty odor while I was sitting in some rocks glassing. After a while I moved, and found a fallen tree that had been thoroughly clawed, and further down a fire road, large turds full of deer hair. Think the cat either didn't know I was there, or saw me and went on its way.

In the wild, they'll probably get a pass from me. Though I'd have no problem shooting one that approaches or attacks people.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
We have several Fire members who are pretty experienced a cougar calling and hunting. Check out some of these stories. BTW, he is a good guy and knows what he is doing. I plan to buy his calling kit and book of instructions.

http://rain-shadow.com/cougar_callin_stories.htm

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
http://newjersey.news12.com/news/sc...-new-jersey-s-deer-population-1.12149551

SHORT HILLS - A group of scientists wants to reintroduce cougars into New Jersey’s ecosystem in an attempt to lower the deer population.

A recent study published in the “Society of Conservation Biology” found that bringing back wild cougars to the Eastern United States could save human lives by thinning the deer population. According to the study, more than 1 million vehicle crashes happen each year involving deer.

However, some experts say that introducing cougars back into New Jersey could be dangerous.

"That means the cougars are going to have to move in where the deer are, which is in suburbia,” says Tedor Whitman, of the Cora Hartshorn Arboretum in Short Hills. “I’m suspecting there are going to be some people not thrilled with the fact there's is a 100-pound big cat living wild right in their backyard."

Whitman says that although cougars rarely harm humans, they could attack family pets. He also says that a virtual army of cougars will be needed to help reduce the deer population.

“Unless you bring in literally thousands of cats and train them to eat only [female] deer…then this is not going to work,” he says.

According to the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection, bobcats and cougars were once widespread throughout New Jersey, but are not listed as an endangered species.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Any cat that winds up in my sights - is a dead cat.
I'm not in business to feed cats, bears, or coyotes - just humans. smile

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The kid is gunna have some bitch'n scars to brag about around the swimmin hole as he grows up. "Yep, I had a dust up with a mountain lion and here I am".

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Anyplace you have enough deer, you have the potential for lions.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sure am glad that youngster didn't get dragged away. Someone opined it to be in some distress from hunger - old or unsuccessful young 'un. I could agree.

We have a good share of lions around here - enough that we do see them and the ranchers consistently experience kills. They are very hard on the deer. Elk, not so much. Aside from a couple of guide/outfitter types that respond to ranchers' calls and often bring in $$ clients on short notice, folks tend to leave them be in the forest.

When they become "odd" and start hanging around homes/people, they get dead.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Short tailed cats are not a concern. It's the long tailed cats you should monitor closely.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
The kid is gunna have some bitch'n scars to brag about around the swimmin hole as he grows up. "Yep, I had a dust up with a mountain lion and here I am".
Except that he is a she. A girl will be a bit less happy to have her bikini abs scarred up.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Anaconda
Originally Posted by Scott F
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Texas is like a giant petting zoo. Never know wtf you're going to see!

Just like Wallmart. eek

I would pet a Mountian Lion before I would pet some of the girls I see in Walmart.

Been there done that, shortly before leaving Florida I was the Shipping Manager for Rhodes Furniture in Jacksonville and one of my drivers didn't show up for work so drove the delivery truck that day. We had a Lazy Boy for delivery out at Ponts Vedra Beach that we had tried to deliver on several occasions. To make a long story short I made the delivery and the home owner told me I may not want to come into her home as she had a big wild animal in the home.

As she was signing the delivery receipt I asked her: "Where was this big bad wild animal?"

To which she replied: "It Was watching me as it was sitting on top of the refrigerator in the kitchen, that she was friendly as she had been declawed and her teeth removed!"

About that time the cat came into the living room and I squatted down and scratched it's ears, at this point she wrapped both front legs around my leg and proceeded to bite my knee, at this point I decided it was time to exit stage right!

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
We find lion kill sights out our back door every year, one a month or so ago less than 300 yrds. Scared a bear off the property last night at 3 am. Just the way it is here in N.W. MT.

Pack heat, watch your butt and enjoy life, just the way it should be.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ringman
alpinecrick,

Of course I'm not okay with it, you idjit. But then again we should get rid of all those bison that kill and injure more people than any predator in Yellowstone. Or kill all wildlife because they carry disease and a child might contract it and die because of those disease ridden critters.

Our high country place is covered up with bears and sometimes cougars--learn how to live with them, they're an imprtant part of the landscape.

Go back to polishing your Tasco's on the couch.

Casey

So if we follow your "logic" in Africa for example, all hippos, crocs, lions and leopards should have no quotas and shot on sight? Incredible...

When people don't have a good argument they resort to ad hominem attacks and other illogical arguments.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
This should be the law in every state:

"Mountain lions....No closed season. These animals may be hunted at any time by any lawful means or methods on private property. Public hunting lands may have restrictions. A hunting license is required....Mountain lions are not protected and can be harvested at any time."

http://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/hunting/nongame-and-other-species

Gotta' love the conservation ethic here on the Campfire.........

Casey

There's no shortage of big cats in Texas, they're just not seen very much. TPWD says they have a 70 square mile range. Nor are they hunted hard. The vast majority of deer hunters will pass on shooting one, they don't want to run off any nearby deer. That's a self-imposed 'conservation ethic'.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
We have lots of lions in so. Idaho but in over 60 years of kicking around the outdoors, I have yet to see one. Hound hunters get them all the time as there are good numbers of them.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

669 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 77 invisible), 3,071 guests, and 1,357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,228
Posts18,485,631
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.