-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Germans flew them for a long time. I saw a German fly one under a highway bridge somewhere around Wurzburg during REFORGER82 and thought that he was one crazy MOFO!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
The 104 established an aviation benchmark for speed almost sixty years ago at a blistering Mach 1.7 top end which hasn't been bettered by many single engine fighters in today's inventory.

That is underselling it a bit. It was a legit Mach 2.2 -2.3 aircraft limited only by the engine overheating and damaging the turbine blades.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by Pete E
The 104 established an aviation benchmark for speed almost sixty years ago at a blistering Mach 1.7 top end which hasn't been bettered by many single engine fighters in today's inventory.

English Electric Lightening *cough*

" During British Airways trials in April 1985, Concorde was offered as a target to NATO fighters including F-15 Eagles, F-16 Fighting Falcons, F-14 Tomcats, Mirages, and F-104 Starfighters - but only Lightning XR749, flown by Mike Hale and described by him as "a very hot ship, even for a Lightning", managed to overtake Concorde on a stern conversion intercept."

The Lightning is twin engined. grin

I had a skipper who went as an exchange officer to Empire test pilot school and got to fly one. Flight time at max throttle was nearly single minutes but oh those few minutes!

Trust a pilot to nit-pick! grin

I don't think the Lightening really came of age until the early to mid 60's after they upgraded the engines, strengthened the nose cone and changed the design of tail...

I have to say the F104 certainly looked the part although Kelly may have been too influenced by his kids lawn darts! lol

The Lightening on the other hand looked like a design exercise in brute force!

That said, it was rated to do aerobatics, and apparently handled well....

Re that picture of the German Kommet, following the war, the Saunders Roe produced their own updated version the SR 53, but with a jet engine over a rocket engine, plus proper under carriage

[Linked Image]

Although a couple of prototypes got to the flying stage by 1957,
the advent of planes like the Lightening and the F104 more or less killed the project.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Guineas always had some on the ramp at NAS Sigonella in the early 80s. I remember the "blade protector" over the leading edge of the wings. SOB had a landing speed close to 180 KTS.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I also remember those rubber leading edge guards! If you bumped your head on the wing of an F-104 it would split your scalp.

For a long time, the 104 had the nickname of "Missile with a man in it."

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Guineas always had some on the ramp at NAS Sigonella in the early 80s. I remember the "blade protector" over the leading edge of the wings. SOB had a landing speed close to 180 KTS.

Got intercepted by one in the Adriatic once. My pilot looked over at me and said "what the hell is that". He said the same thing about an RAF Nimrod we had tanked off of a few months prior. He just selected for Admiral. crazy

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wasn't it also called the "Widow Maker?"

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JoeBob

That is underselling it a bit. It was a legit Mach 2.2 -2.3 aircraft limited only by the engine overheating and damaging the turbine blades.

I'll stay with Mach 1.7 since pushing the envelope past 2 and having serious gremlins manifest themselves isn't anything to brag about, sorta like blowing a rifle case while claiming stars wars velocity.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J

I'll stay with Mach 1.7 since pushing the envelope past 2 and having serious gremlins manifest themselves isn't anything to brag about, sorta like blowing a rifle case while claiming stars wars velocity.

Yeah, but the F 104 was capable of sustained Mach 2 flight. It wasn't pushing the envelope.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
It was designated as a daytime interceptor - at which it was good. Then to increase sales attractiveness, it became an everything fighter/bomber - at witch it was horrible. Beautiful plane though.

IC B3

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by W7ACT

Yes, as was the Martin B-26. With it short small wings, ti as easy to stall. With it's downward ejection seat (in the Us versions). a pilot would be ejected into the ground if he ejected on landing.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Killing pilots that stalled the plane trying to land. The big single engine had slow response time and cut power too much on approach and it fell out of the sky like a rock before they could get the power back. I don't know what the glide ratio for it was but it had to be right there with a rock.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yeah, but the F 104 was capable of sustained Mach 2 flight. It wasn't pushing the envelope.

Statistics say plenty of widows would probably disagree. 104's in their SEA years saw plenty of problems and not at Mach 2 speeds.

Woody
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Statistics say plenty of widows would probably disagree. 104's in their SEA years saw plenty of problems and not at Mach 2 speeds.

Yes, there is a big difference between what a plane can do and what it can do safely in a sustained manner ie operationally, with a "normal" pilot, not a even more highly skilled test pilot...

I know the original Lightening need a number of modifications before it was rated of continued operational use above Mach2....

Last edited by Pete E; 08/15/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by djs

Yes, as was the Martin B-26. With it short small wings, ti as easy to stall. With it's downward ejection seat (in the Us versions). a pilot would be ejected into the ground if he ejected on landing.

Only some of the F-104A's had the downward ejecting seat. By 1960 they were being retrofitted with the C-2 upward seat and the rest of "A" model production and all the models had a standard upward seat. Not a zero zero seat still it was better than the downward seat.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Operational and sustainable are apples and oranges in the combat environment.The 104's comparatively short deployment in SEA was testament that its combat role was totally outside most design parameters.The AF would have done well by capitalizing on strength rather than weakness and used its speed strictly in RF mode.

Woody
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J

That's the point. You were probably safer in a F 104 at Mach 2 than trying to land it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Except that after getting to Mach 2 you were then so short of go juice that you had to land pronto - and had only one shot at it before you ran out.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by djs

Only some of the F-104A's had the downward ejecting seat. By 1960 they were being retrofitted with the C-2 upward seat and the rest of "A" model production and all the models had a standard upward seat. Not a zero zero seat still it was better than the downward seat.

Only the Air Force would designed downward ejection seats. Might as well been forward firing and use them as a last resort ordnance! smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
If you want your mind blown, consider that the F 104 made its first flight a mere nine years after WW II. It was a Mach 2 aircraft with speed and climb specs that would be respectable today in a fighter.

So much if that stuff was cutting edge and beyond at the time. The high tail was necessitated to counter the effects of inertial coupling and all that which mandated the downward ejection seat because none of the existing seats could clear the tail and so on and so forth.

As a simple fighter-interceptor that would have made one pass and sped away from everyone and everything, it probably would have been pretty effective. But that, of course, was not what really any Air Force wanted and it ended up doing all kinds of roles for which it was never intended. And where it actually engaged in combat in places like Pakistan and India, its pilots allowed it to get sucked into low speed turning fights where it was never meant to be.

Last edited by JoeBob; 08/15/16.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,189
Posts18,484,895
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.