Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Prevention helps
(sic)

Was lookin at buying another truck, but just can't wrap my head around why 1 couple needs six pickups

So you won't get accused of being a DSMFer?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Was lookin at buying another truck, but just can't wrap my head around why 1 couple needs six pickups

Sounds like you been around since this place had virtual village status.

And as my sons say, "You can take me out of the village, but you can't take the village out of..........." laugh

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
I'd consider pre-oiling it. There are ways to pre-oil a rebuilt engine by using a pressure preluber or taking the distributor out and spinning the oil pump with a cordless drill and adaptor.

Running a pre luber is a good idea but pulling and reinstalling a distributor back properly indexed and timed may be a little more than someone asking about basic long storage starting procedure may want to deal with, hence my suggestion to crank w/o plugs until oil light goes out. An engine sitting for 5 years should still have a film of oil on crank bearings and no damage should occur being cranked w/o plugs as long as rings are lubed (pre luber won't usually help rings). It is always good practice to get oil flow to bearings before running rpm loads are put on the crank tho. Biggest problem I would expect is rust/corrosion in cylinders where valves have been open and condensation has occurred.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 86thecat
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
I'd consider pre-oiling it. There are ways to pre-oil a rebuilt engine by using a pressure preluber or taking the distributor out and spinning the oil pump with a cordless drill and adaptor.

Running a pre luber is a good idea but pulling and reinstalling a distributor back properly indexed and timed may be a little more than someone asking about basic long storage starting procedure may want to deal with, hence my suggestion to crank w/o plugs until oil light goes out. An engine sitting for 5 years should still have a film of oil on crank bearings and no damage should occur being cranked w/o plugs as long as rings are lubed (pre luber won't usually help rings). It is always good practice to get oil flow to bearings before running rpm loads are put on the crank tho. Biggest problem I would expect is rust/corrosion in cylinders where valves have been open and condensation has occurred.

+1

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by las
What about a Chev diesel thats been sitting for 5 or so years? I have one that should be moved over Labor Day, but I can tow it if I have to.

With the Chevy's it's likely you'll need to tow it if it does start. grin

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by las
What about a Chev diesel thats been sitting for 5 or so years? I have one that should be moved over Labor Day, but I can tow it if I have to.

Driving around town yesterday I about fell out of my seat. I looked over at a stoplight and no sheit there sat a guy in a 77 or so halfton Chevy shortbed diesel. I didn't figure there was a 350 diesel left on the road. Thought surely it had the Olds 350 swapped in but low and behold, when the light turned "lagg lagg lagg" it went blowing coal dust out both sides of the dual exhaust.

Dad's buddy and my uncle's dad both had one of them right when they came out and they both claimed that when they could keep them running they didn't have the power to spin out on wet grass.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm married Paul no escaping that moniker

And Mark you've been out to our place. The neighbors next door his stepdad has affectionately named the place hillbilly holler

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'm going to pull the plugs and get some penetrating oil of some type down the cylinders. Pull the carb and douche it out. Blow out the fuel lines and empty the tank. New filters and oil along with a battery. And spin her over by hand a bit before I crank it up.

I'm sure it'll have something to do to it once a week when I get it running, while it hasn't been started in 5 years it was only driven once a year for the 5 before that so there's bound to be weathered and rotted "stuff".

I reckon I'll hold onto it since it was my first truck and they aren't getting any cheaper. When the bankroll allows I'd really like to send it up to Northern Dave and let him do the body and interior the right way.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

JFC, it's 5 years not 50! Put some fresh gas and a battery in it and crank it up. Change the fluids once you get it warmed up.

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by las

It's a Chevy jack up the radiator cap and drive a new truck under it.

whistle grin whistle

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm married Paul no escaping that moniker

And Mark you've been out to our place. The neighbors next door his stepdad has affectionately named the place hillbilly holler

It troubles me that this part of the state seems to be trying to deny the "hillbilly hollers" that founded it in favor of:

Originally Posted by Pete Seeger
Little boxes on the hillside
Little boxes made of ticky tacky
Little boxes
Little boxes
Little boxes all the same
There's a green one and a pink one
And a blue one and a yellow one
And they're all made out of ticky tacky
And they all look just the same
And the people in the houses all go to the university
And they all get put in boxes, little boxes all the same
And there's doctors and there's lawyers
And business executives
And they're all made out of ticky tacky and they all look just the same
And they all play on the golf course and drink their martini dry
And they all have pretty children and the children go to school
And the children go to summer camp
And then to the university
And they all get put in boxes, and they all come out the same
And the boys go into business and marry and raise a family
And they all get put in boxes, little boxes all the same
There's a green one, and a pink one
And a blue one and a yellow one
And they're all made out of ticky tacky
And they all look just the same

I'll take a T1-11, old car, snowmachines, boats, etc (even chickens eek ....as long as they leave mine alone grin ) neighbor any day over one of them eco-greeny veganish plastic-house, plastic-people. whistle

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lol Mark

It's truly one of my fave things about my wife, she gets all dolled up for work, knows how to play the part that's required but she and I are both happiest at our dry cabin literally sharing a meal right out of the skillet and settling in with a good book & a few fingers of decent whiskey

You should have seen us at the swanky waikola Hilton north of kona
Me I took my fave nylon cabin shirt, few minor rips big one sewed up of course, paint & stain stains on it

She just shook her head, but it was a conversation starter with a few folks, they prolly thought I'd been shipwrecked & washed up on the beach

Kept the time share folks at bay though ( grin)

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I may live in town, but do my best not to fit in.

[Linked Image]

Snowmachines are on the other side of the boat, gotta keep some semblance of neatness to keep the better half happy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I may live in town, but do my best not to fit in.

Lots of folks forget that it's okay to fit in as an Alaskan when in Alaska, tending, instead, to think that fitting in means living like an Urbaragian. Looks like you're making a good effort toward the former! wink

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 66 invisible), 2,354 guests, and 1,441 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,167
Posts18,484,520
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.