Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
That video tore me up this morning. That's not going to be the last time and that's okay. I can't thank everyone who's reached out enough. It's meant so much.

Last night something pretty neat happened and I thought I'd share it with you all.

A friend of mine coaxed me out fishing for 13 of the last 24 hours. Last night we surf casted off the beach for Striped Bass. We were throwing plugs and nothing was biting. After a couple hours I tied on a plug that eleven years ago, Joe snatched out of the surf on Nantucket's Nobadeer Beach. He was an enthusiastic pup and managed to hook himself through the lip, chest and then paw. The plug had big 3/0 heavy duty VMC treble hooks. I managed to get the hook out of his paw and chest, but when I went to cut the barbed point off the hook clean through his lip, the handle on my brand new fishing pliers snapped. So here we are on a remote part of the island, out our only pair of pliers on a Sunday afternoon.

Friends scurried around the island for two and a half hours until they finally found a pair of pliers that would cut the hook. All the while, I held Joe keeping him calm so he wouldn't rehook himself whilst flailing about.

I 'd never caught a fish on that lure, but last night I caught the only fish of the night and then promptly retired it.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Sorry for your loss my dog Logan who's 3 came down with the same thing in April. The vet put him on steroids and I fed him fresh liver and hamburger to try and build his red cell count. He barely pulled thru and has gained 40 lbs and is now being weened off the steroids.

Last edited by birdwacker; 08/19/16.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
birdwacker,
This IMHA is terrible stuff. The worst part is not knowing what triggers it. I'm glad to hear that Logan is pulling through. From what I understand it's a long process. Godspeed to you and yours. Give him a scratch behind the ears from me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kingston
That video tore me up this morning. That's not going to be the last time and that's okay. I can't thank everyone who's reached out enough. It's meant so much.

Last night something pretty neat happened and I thought I'd share it with you all.

A friend of mine coaxed me out fishing for 13 of the last 24 hours. Last night we surf casted off the beach for Striped Bass. We were throwing plugs and nothing was biting. After a couple hours I tied on a plug that eleven years ago, Joe snatched out of the surf on Nantucket's Nobadeer Beach. He was an enthusiastic pup and managed to hook himself through the lip, chest and then paw. The plug had big 3/0 heavy duty VMC treble hooks. I managed to get the hook out of his paw and chest, but when I went to cut the barbed point off the hook clean through his lip, the handle on my brand new fishing pliers snapped. So here we are on a remote part of the island, out our only pair of pliers on a Sunday afternoon.

Friends scurried around the island for two and a half hours until they finally found a pair of pliers that would cut the hook. All the while, I held Joe keeping him calm so he wouldn't rehook himself whilst flailing about.

I 'd never caught a fish on that lure, but last night I caught the only fish of the night and then promptly retired it.

That's a pretty awesome sign. You are a lucky guy to have had him and he was a lucky dog to have you.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those picts are the spitting image of our pup a 6 years ago this month.

I'm very sorry.

Carpe' Scrotum
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by kingston

Great story and tough pup. Must have been a hard day for Joe's dad too. Really looking forward to getting together this year in the field, friend. I trust you took the video post in the spirit in which it was meant. Like many here, I'm not a stranger to loving and losing a beloved dog. All of them hurt, but in a man's life some tear and leave a helluva' hole in the heart. And yeah, their lives must be so short because they damned well do love so hard.

Apologies for the crappy phone vid, but some time in the hopefully very distant future when we are in mourning as you now are this will undoubtedly bring me and Mrs. KG to our knees, but it is if nothing else a small reminder of the kind of goodness and love and loyalty dogs bless us with in our lives as members of their pack.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Oh, that Pepper's something! She brought a big smile to my face. I can't wait to show Joe's Mom.

I too look forward to seeing her first year in the field!

We're going to spend some time this weekend tidying up Joe's spot under the Catalpas. That'll be good.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thank you, KG, for sharing both of those videos. Very touching. The love of a good dog is very special.

Kingston, sorry for your loss.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Kingston,

I didn't read this thread but it seems like you need a new dog.

Highly recommend this dog factory. Drop me a line when you get here. We'll pound brews.

http://www.dustinretrievers.com/

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Kingston,
I'm sorry for your loss.
I've been there too many times.

Retired cat herder.

IC B3

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 1234, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 55 invisible), 2,563 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,821
Posts18,516,710
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.