Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Looking for opinions out there...My sister has 6 children and one on the way. Throughout her whole life has struggled to make ends meet. This year is no different, it could be worse than normal. She called me last night and told me about how she wouldn't be able to afford gifts for her children this year for Christmas and she didn't know what to do, it really upset her. She asked if I knew of any way to help. I told her I'd see what I could do.

I am not by any means financially blessed, but I am able to make ends meet. So coming up with extra money this time of year was going to be a struggle for me, but I was up for the challenge. By the good grace of God I was able to come up with $300. That doesn't go terribly far with 6 kids, but it is something.

Of her 6 children she has 3 boys in their mid teens and 3 younger children under 5. The kids under 5 are easy to buy for but the teenage boys have me stumped. I don't want to give them cash or gift cards. I want to get something that is going to be somewhat meaningful and that wouldn't be forgotten about in a few months.

This is what I came up with. I was thinking about buying the three of them one large gift. In the past I have taken them with me to the range to and they loved shooting .22's with me. I loved teaching them about firearm safety, and how to shoot, and spending time with them. So I thought that maybe I'd take the $150 I was going to spend on them and buy a 20 ga shotgun. I have seen the single shot H&R's you can get at Wal-Mart for $100. The rest of the money I was going to used to pay their way through hunter safety, which I would sign them up for and take them to.

This is all in the hopes that they would want to go with me hunting in the future, which they may or may not want to do...I really don't know. If they do go with me in the future I realize they will have only one gun between the three, but I think I can find a way for them to use other ones.

So what do you think, should I go with this plan, or should I buy them separate gifts???

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Do they not have a Father around or are you filling the role?
I would say by all means get them into hunters safety class but if you purchase a firearm for them make sure you retain control of it. If it gets misused you could be held liable.
And see about getting your sister some counceling on how to use birth control

Declaration of Independance, in ENGLISH
U.S. Constitution, in ENGLISH
U.S. Bill of Rights, in ENGLISH
If you cannot or don't want to learn ENGLISH, go back to the third world cesspool you came from
P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
They have a father, but he is not much in the picture, maybe every other weekend and that is about all he does with them. That being said, I'd never try to fill the father's role, I just want to fill the uncle'e role. I guess i should have mentioned in the first post that if I did buy them a fire arm, it would remain at my house in my safe. The only way theu could have it is if I was with them, or when they turn 18. That is one thing that worries me about buying only one gift, is that it would be something that they don't actually have "possession" of. And i am not sure how a teen would feel about that being their only Christmas gift.

As far as the birth control, that is a whole other stroy...she has been told repeatedly...it just makes my blood boil!!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I think I would go for the shotgun and hunter safty course.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
vasectomy for the father...

On a real note(the above was my real opinion but I suspect you and I are on the same page) I think you have a super idea. Just the gun stays with you unless you are taking them to the range. Can go a long ways to teaching responsibility and safety.

Good work!

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think what you are doing for your nephews is great. However I don't think it is that good of Idea to get one shotgun for 3 of them. Rembering back to that age myself (being only about 10 years ago) one to share won't work But I have a solution if you can come up with an extra $75 get the little one lots of little stuff around$25 the amount of stuff will make tham happy not understanding monitary value then you have $75 each for the older ones come up with and extra $75 bringing there total up to $100 each and get them each a shotgun I have seen those toppers around $80 at K-mart and used ones for even less. I have a friend who has one and it seem like a pretty good value, and it always works for him.

Good luck

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I'm gonna have to break with the pack, but first God Bless you for helping your sis give her kids a Christmas! I mean that from the bottom of my heart!

There are a couple pf problems, or potential problems, I see with your idea. One is, as Rost recommends, the gun should probably stay with you. That's a kind of thin present: one you don't get to keep and enjoy. Another is if it stays at their house, it could be a problem for your Sis and a potential for disaster. I don't know a thing about the temperment of the kids and family, but when the Dad is missing, there are things out of balance. I'm not sure putting a firearm in that scenario is a good idea. Take that as I said it: I'm not sure.....because I don't have enough info. And you would want to be sure. Maybe you do, you've talked with their Mom and everything is cool. Great then. Forget I brought up anything else.

Here's another thing. You say they loved shooting the .22 and I'm sure you are right. But I'm guessing they also loved doing it with YOU. Dad's not around to take them to do guy things and you did. One trip to the range may not a shooting enthusiast make. But then again, I don't know that for the above reason.

What I do know is kids like stuff. Unfortunately, that's part of what Christmas is about. So I would find out from your Sis what kind of stuff that is. Maybe an electronics gizmo like a walkman, or CD's, or something to compliment a hobby. Even a nice shirt or hoodie. Something a little special they don't have the bucks for ususally. Something they can keep, hold and know someone loved them enough to get it for them. Another thing would be to give Sis the $$ to do the shopping, if she is reliable.....again...I don't know.

But I do know they are Blessed to have an uncle like you!

Merry Christmas and may God Bless!

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What you're doing is great but I have to agree with Rick, and it might be tough for 3 boys to share a single gift. Is it too late for them to give their mom a wish list so you can get something they really will like?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't buy them something like the shotgun,where you have to keep it at your house.That makes them feel like you got something for yourself,instead of for them.

My suggestion-take them all out and let them each pick out what they want to spend their $50 on.That way you garuntee they are all happy with what they get.

WB.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
ald Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What WCB said. +1
You can still take 'em out and shoot the .22..and you'll discover which of the boys would really like to have a shotgun.

Al

"Anyone who willfully and maliciously attacks another without sufficient cause deserves no consideration" - Col. Jeff Cooper
Sic vis pacem, para bellum
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
<<<Edited that comment out....as it is not my place to make judgement>>>>

But I still wish all 6 kids the very best...they deserve it.

HoundGirl

Last edited by HoundGirl; 12/15/06.

Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog.
-- Mark Twain

Part of me lives with the wind in my face,
while the other part is barely alive.

--Mary Gauthier
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't think this was a parenting/birth control question.This was a Christmas present question.

WB.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Then I'd say get them all .22s....lol......

HoundGirl

Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog.
-- Mark Twain

Part of me lives with the wind in my face,
while the other part is barely alive.

--Mary Gauthier
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
What RickyD and WheelChairBandit said.

Don

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If they do go with me in the future I realize they will have only one gun between the three, but I think I can find a way for them to use other ones. ~ pmfinnegan2 (emphasis mine)

------------------

I'm not sure I know what you mean there.

Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. -- Daniel Webster

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

656 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 74 invisible), 3,039 guests, and 1,384 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,230
Posts18,485,651
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.