Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S

Hoping someone can help me identify what is wrong or what I am doing wrong:

Fairly new to reloading and have never experienced this issue before. loading for my 260 with once fired/resized Lapua brass. when going to seat bullets, it is very difficult to get the bullet started into the case once started I can seat deeper with normal pressure. I load for a few other rifles and am pushing atleast 5x harder on press to get started. not sure what is going on, if it is a die problem or something else? info that might help:

using forster benchrest dies - micrometer seater
resized with forster FLS and the redding competition shellholders to get a very minimal shoulder set back. (Forster does not make a neck sizer for 260 for some reason)
all cases cleaned with turbo sonic cleaner
All cases trimmed after first firing then deburred, chamfered as well as run over a bronze brush to clean up the neck a little.
same issue with both the 130 berger Hunting VLD and 140 AB. seems even more difficult to seat the 140 AB

any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. My concern is I am pushing hard enough to damage the seating stem on the die

thanks for the help

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Stadle01

Fairly new to reloading and have never experienced this issue before. loading for my 260 with once fired/resized Lapua brass. when going to seat bullets, it is very difficult to get the bullet started into the case once started I can seat deeper with normal pressure. I load for a few other rifles and am pushing atleast 5x harder on press to get started. not sure what is going on, if it is a die problem or something else? info that might help:

resized with forster FLS and the redding competition shellholders to get a very minimal shoulder set back. (Forster does not make a neck sizer for 260 for some reason)
All cases trimmed after first firing then deburred, chamfered as well as run over a bronze brush to clean up the neck a little.
same issue with both the 130 berger Hunting VLD and 140 AB. seems even more difficult to seat the 140 AB

any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. My concern is I am pushing hard enough to damage the seating stem on the die

thanks for the help

You don't want a Forster neck sizer anyway.

There is a such thing as too clean for the inside of a case neck.

A chamfer tool with a different angle may help, or a little more chamfer with the tool you have.

How strong is the interference fit between case neck and bullet? That is, what is the difference between the neck outside diameters when sized and when a bullet is seated?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
your die may be over sizing the neck. (sizing it down more than needed)
Forster offers a neck honing service thats very reasonable and a helpful thing to do for better reloading considering the die will be tailored to your specific chamber then.

Your chamfer could be a minor issue as stated above.

Your neck can and may be "too clean". I use Imperial Dry neck lube inside the neck for seating , and i dont scrub the carbon out of the necks any more than my light tumbling accomplishes.

As mathman said, measurement of fired brass unsized, vs sized brass, will tell you how much the die is sizing the neck down. Measurement of a loaded round using your specific brass and bullet combo will be another piece of the puzzle as to how to come about the solution.

Last edited by jmd025; 09/01/16.

Rabid Creedmoorians ring my doorbell ...
as I open it a crack they speak :
"Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior , 6.5Creed?"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jmd025

As mathman said, measurement of fired brass unsized, vs sized brass, will tell you how much the die is sizing the neck down. Measurement of a loaded round using your specific brass and bullet combo will be another piece of the puzzle as to how to come about the solution.

Nominal interference (neck tension) for of the sized brass neck ID to bullet OD should be .0025-.003"............at least that's my target.

MM

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. I measured the the outside of neck after sizing and seating bullet. I believe it was .0025. It was a little more than with the lee collet NS but seemed like it was ok to me? how much is too much on this measurement? with the forster dies it is usually around .0015- .002 in my other catridges.

did not realize one could put the die wax inside the the case neck for seating without causing issues. Will try if a little extra chamfer does not help.

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Your numbers seem OK.

It was Imperial dry lube that was mentioned, not the wax.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
thanks for pointing that out. Will see if I can pick some of that up and try it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

thanks for the help

Why does a new guy start off with all that horse chit anyway? Buy a standard ol fu cking RCBS full length die set and load away with minimal effort...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
You can make the neck too clean? Really?

I clean my cases with stainless steel pins. You won't get them any cleaner than that and I've never had a problem with the necks being too clean.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

thanks for the help

Why does a new guy start off with all that horse chit anyway? Buy a standard ol fu cking RCBS full length die set and load away with minimal effort...

What are you talking about? The Forster FL die is no different in principle than an RCBS, and the Forster seater is simply better and no more complicated to operate.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Grumulkin
You can make the neck too clean? Really?

I clean my cases with stainless steel pins. You won't get them any cleaner than that and I've never had a problem with the necks being too clean.

there are a few more factors at play, but yes, you can completely clean a neck, and have seating issues, introducing inconsistency, effecting accuracy. This is usually only an issue when the surface of the brass in the neck is rough (theres definitely two camps that have formed on this in the benchrest circles ) Some guys completely clean necks and use no lube in the neck, that seems to be where issues can arise. But if you arent having an issue, Then i'd simply say that its most likely your brass is properly sized in relation to your projectile choice.

Rabid Creedmoorians ring my doorbell ...
as I open it a crack they speak :
"Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior , 6.5Creed?"
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thanks for the input. double checked this morning while loading some rounds and the outside diameter change is .0015-002 range. Added some extra chamfer made a big difference. the ABs still start a little harder but not bad, so will try some of the dry lube with them in the future

off to the range for some shooting.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

thanks for the help

Maybe because that's what he fu cking wanted.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had the same issue with a .270 and 140 accubonds. VLD chamfer tool made the problem go away.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1badf350, 160user, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,294 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,005
Posts18,500,087
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.