-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
If I started with a 7.62x39 action (.447 bolt face) and cut a rebated rim on a cartridge with a .473 base......would there be any trouble? Strength wise.....

Thoughts?

Last edited by 257_X_50; 09/02/16.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
out of curiosity what case are you attempting to accommodate ? ...and is the mag box wide enough?

.... like tears in the rain
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by 257_X_50
If I started with a 7.62x39 action (.447 bolt face) and cut a rebated rim on a cartridge with a .473 base......would there be any trouble? Strength wise.....

Thoughts?

I've been doing this for years on my BR rifle to be able to shoot 6BR and 30BR cartridges. Trouble? No!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AKA_Spook
out of curiosity what case are you attempting to accommodate ? ...and is the mag box wide enough?

5mm/35 SMc

I'll worry about feeding later. Lol

Mainly a single shot. Orchards and wood chucks. Coyotes are on my side.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Originally Posted by 257_X_50

Thoughts?

I've been doing this for years on my BR rifle to be able to shoot 6BR and 30BR cartridges. Trouble? No!

Thanks Butch. I've mainly done single action Rugers.

The Mini Mark X was chambered in 22-250.
That barrel thread was 22x1.5.....
The CZ 527 is 25x1.25.....so lots of room there.
And the Lugs on the 527 are larger diameter, wider and longer than the Mini Mark X.

Just wanted to check. Sometimes I miss the obvious.........
I'd like barrel length.......maybe a bull pup as a tribute to Ol John Buhmiller.
But one step at a time.
Any other observations about the 527 anyone?

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
257 X 50,
Jim Carmichel sent me this photo. Do you recognize the gentleman?

[Linked Image]

Pictured below are some rebated BR cases.

[Linked Image]
Shown is an early Rem. BR case without flash hole, a Lapua BR case, a BR case turned to PPC or say 7.62X39 size and one turned to 223 size. Red Cornelison, first member of the Benchrest Hall of Fame, rebated the BR case to fit his 223 boltface rifle. In the day, good brass was unattainable.Red would push the shoulder back .110", turned the base to 223.Another unique thing Red did was to turn the OD of his necks to 2 different diameter. He turned the length of the neck to uniform the diameter and then turned the OD of the neck to approx.half the length of the neck. When he sized the neck it allowed the bullet to set halfway in the neck. I hope you understand. They had to work hard in the day to accomplish this.

Last edited by butchlambert1; 09/04/16.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
A good while ago down at the Crawfish Shoot in Lafayette, La; I was privileged to purchase some of the no flash hole Remington BR brass from Red C. I bought all I could afford, he counseled me that there might not be any more of it; but I got what I could at the time. Kinda like getting early 90's 22mag rimfire primed brass I reckon; prior to the advent of the 17HMR.

I too remember the two stage turning on the neck that Red did. He showed me how he seated his bullets that day..........he inserted the bullet with his fingers in to the brass neck by hand, no tooling used. Guess the double cut routine did the trick for him, always very competitive; especially in abby normal conditions.

Red also showed to the group around the table his brass turned down on the rim of the BR, in those days; we were all in awe of this expertise and innovation..........really still am.

A very great priviledge to meet him and John.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
257 X 50,
Jim Carmichel sent me this photo. Do you recognize the gentleman?

[Linked Image]

Pictured below are some rebated BR cases.

[Linked Image]
Shown is an early Rem. BR case without flash hole, a Lapua BR case, a BR case turned to PPC or say 7.62X39 size and one turned to 223 size. Red Cornelison, first member of the Benchrest Hall of Fame, rebated the BR case to fit his 223 boltface rifle. In the day, good brass was unattainable.Red would push the shoulder back .110", turned the base to 223.Another unique thing Red did was to turn the OD of his necks to 2 different diameter. He turned the length of the neck to uniform the diameter and then turned the OD of the neck to approx.half the length of the neck. When he sized the neck it allowed the bullet to set halfway in the neck. I hope you understand. They had to work hard in the day to accomplish this.

Jims a bit younger there. Lol
John and a friend of mine corresponded a good bit. And Jim was a good buddy of Bob Bell's also. I hope to get a rifle Buhmiller built for Bob. It went to auction before I knew it was for sale.

I'm getting my shop set up know. Retire and mess with rifles and revolvers all I want.

Thanks for the picture. I'll send it to Bob. He'll smile.

The hand seating of the bullet sounds like Virgil King.........

The he stepped neck will be tried.

Thank you for your help.

Last edited by 257_X_50; 09/04/16.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by redz06
A good while ago down at the Crawfish Shoot in Lafayette, La; I was privileged to purchase some of the no flash hole Remington BR brass from Red C. I bought all I could afford, he counseled me that there might not be any more of it; but I got what I could at the time. Kinda like getting early 90's 22mag rimfire primed brass I reckon; prior to the advent of the 17HMR.

I too remember the two stage turning on the neck that Red did. He showed me how he seated his bullets that day..........he inserted the bullet with his fingers in to the brass neck by hand, no tooling used. Guess the double cut routine did the trick for him, always very competitive; especially in abby normal conditions.

Red also showed to the group around the table his brass turned down on the rim of the BR, in those days; we were all in awe of this expertise and innovation..........really still am.

A very great priviledge to meet him and John.

I got into it too late to meet them.

I was at a deer camp in Potter County PA and I mentioned that I thought John had shy 88 elephants........ Bourbon Baratone(Scotch actually) said from a corner" 155 and a tor of 250 head of Big Game.......John only counted the Big Five".

Bob Bell's true stories are better than my lies..........

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I am not sure we are talking the same John........ smile

With that said, I feel sure both John's were fine rifleshots.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by redz06
I am not sure we are talking the same John........ smile

With that said, I feel sure both John's were fine rifleshots.

I was talking of John Buhmiller. Who I thought was in the picture........if I'm wrong I stand corrected..........

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I believe you are entirely correct.

Butch was kind enough to post the picture of the two greats; I just spoke of another John that I admired in the benchrest game.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Jim Carmichel was visiting John Buhmiller in this phopto. Jim said it was in the early 70s. I do have 2 cases or 500 rounds of the brass without flash holes. I have some of Red Cornelison's 22 mag brass that he necked to 17 way back in the earlier days. I did have a case of the primed 22mag brass that came from Red's stash.Sold them a few years back.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 1lessdog, 59 invisible), 2,500 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,470
Posts18,471,431
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.