Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
BigFin Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Some of you may have caught this episode on Sportsman Channel when it aired. Some of you probably did not. This is a hunt with me and a "Cheesehead" buddy in Wyoming last season. For living in Wisconsin, Pat does a lot of western big game hunting and it was fun to share a camp with him.

One of the risks of waiting until the last few days of a season is that weather can wipe out a few days of your hunt and not allow for any remaining days to make it up. Such was the case here.

When you see how this happened, that is how it really went down. I thought Pat had developed a temporary speech impairment when he looked over my shoulder and started stammering about something. A few expletives later, the words "elk" and "bull" and "right there" filled the air and we turned our attention from an on-the-fly made for TV interaction to a shooting situation.

Good thing we left when we did. My drive home that night was one of the longest 420 mile trips I can recall, with blowing snow and icy roads, all the while towing a trailer in 40mph crosswind. The joys of Wyoming in November. That last day of season would have been another complete bust, just like a few of the days in this episode, so I didn't feel too bad about coming home to my own bad after 70+ nights in wall tents.

YouTube link here - https://youtu.be/Zzi_42E7Q2Q

[Linked Image]

I did go down for an archery hunt in this same units two months prior and I should have filled my tag then. It was supposed to be more of a scouting trip, but with a lot of elk around, it should have been the end of my tag. But, with Mr. Murphy making his regular appearances on our show, what can go wrong did go wrong. Link to that episode is here - https://youtu.be/0_SJUzOquSY

Thanks for watching.

My name is Randy Newberg and I approved this post. What is written is my opinion, and my opinion only.

"Hunt when you can. You're gonna run out of health before you run out of money."
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Thank you for posting this hunt. Truly enjoyed watching and getting ready to go this year. 52 days. But who's counting.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Randy,

Thanks for posting and sharing and apologies for not hitting up your YouTubes videos as planned. I pulled something like 60 hours and 5000 air miles over the last 4 days. I envy what you do.

There's very few real guys on TV and in the outdoors production world and you're damn sure one of them.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's exciting, exciting to share the hunt.
Exciting to watch and every second believe the blur of fetching will cross the screen and bury under the shoulder-pit!
Exciting to know that bull is just getting bigger.

Thanks for sharing your hunts.
Some believe it's about shooting, not all the time.
It is about hunting! 100% of the time!

Thank you!

Clinging to my God, and my guns!
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Randy,

Thank you for another great video of the challenges of public land hunting.

Keep them coming.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm doing my first elk hunt next year in Wyoming, missed out this year. I always enjoy the perspective you put on hunting. Thanks BigFin.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another fine showing, with great story to tell. I'm happy it worked out-- especially after that miscalculation.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just watched it last night. Great Show cool

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (160user, 270cowboy, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 67 invisible), 2,545 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,088
Posts18,482,895
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.